Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2008, 03:31 AM

36 posts, read 193,245 times

Advertisements

I sold all my Las Vegas real estate in 2004-2005 when I saw the top of the market (everyone thought I was nuts...). Left Las Vegas, went to Portland, bought early 05 and sold everything again late 2006 at the top of that market (even though prices haven't really dropped that bad since then). Anyway, to make a long story short, I'm back in town looking for deals and putting in offers and ladies and gents, I have to say: It's tough out there! It seems like the "stupid money" that came in 2003-2004, bidding up prices 5 to 10% over list is back in town! Just to site an example of how dumb these people are; there was a REO listed at $115/SF In Southern Highlands for over 3 months, finally the bank had the price lowered to $110/SF, I put in an offer at list the same day, but the home ended up going for $121/SF... and this is happening hand over fist right now... What are these people thinking??? Out of 16 offers that I put out, I only ended getting 3 accepted at my offered price.
Anyway, I guess this sounds more like a rant but has anyone else experienced this also?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 01:38 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,423,096 times
Our buyers have gotten their places at about list so far. We had one family trying to get another 4 or 5% below REPO list with little success.

The really good buys are going in hours or days. You almost have to be sitting on them to make the buy. We lost one at close to $600K where we had a ready and able buyer when it sold two hours after the listing hit. We would likely have had an offer in within four hours and probably 11k over list.

Old 07-07-2008, 08:48 PM

638 posts, read 2,256,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinandriver View Post
I sold all my Las Vegas real estate in 2004-2005 when I saw the top of the market (everyone thought I was nuts...). Left Las Vegas, went to Portland, bought early 05 and sold everything again late 2006 at the top of that market (even though prices haven't really dropped that bad since then). Anyway, to make a long story short, I'm back in town looking for deals and putting in offers and ladies and gents, I have to say: It's tough out there! It seems like the "stupid money" that came in 2003-2004, bidding up prices 5 to 10% over list is back in town! Just to site an example of how dumb these people are; there was a REO listed at $115/SF In Southern Highlands for over 3 months, finally the bank had the price lowered to $110/SF, I put in an offer at list the same day, but the home ended up going for $121/SF... and this is happening hand over fist right now... What are these people thinking??? Out of 16 offers that I put out, I only ended getting 3 accepted at my offered price.
Anyway, I guess this sounds more like a rant but has anyone else experienced this also?
I am going through the same thing right now. Im trying to by my first home. My financing is no problem, but everything my agent has been finding in my price range (170-200K) and areas I want to live are either repos or short sales and the banks are sitting on my bids.

Dealing with countrywide, who owns most of these homes, is another disaster. One hand does not know what the other is doing. One minute they say they will negotiate on a short sale, the next minute... "were no longer doing short sales"... it goes on and on.

Everyone keeps saying that the buyers are in the drivers seat, but I expected to at least have an accepted offer by now.

Old 07-07-2008, 08:52 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,423,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR77 View Post
I am going through the same thing right now. Im trying to by my first home. My financing is no problem, but everything my agent has been finding in my price range (170-200K) and areas I want to live are either repos or short sales and the banks are sitting on my bids.

Dealing with countrywide, who owns most of these homes, is another disaster. One hand does not know what the other is doing. One minute they say they will negotiate on a short sale, the next minute... "were no longer doing short sales"... it goes on and on.

Everyone keeps saying that the buyers are in the drivers seat, but I expected to at least have an accepted offer by now.
Stay away from shorts unless you have months of patience, Just closed one where we made the offer in January. Got another that appears to be going in two months since our offer. The REPOs have been cleaner though the process is clearly busted. All sorts of strange barriers. Your agent has to hussle and stay on top. It does not move correctly if not pushed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: