Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 08:36 AM

58 posts, read 312,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvkewlkid View Post
I went to Lamping, had a terrible time there. It is Vanderburg not Vandenburg. When I went to Miller, the principal at Vanderburg and Twitchell yelled at me when I was walking home and called the police because they thought I went to ES and was ditching.
Sorry about the name mistake. I was typing this near midnight.
At least the principal cared enough to see what you were doing. As you get older, you may realize that no where is perfect and when making choices on where to live and go to school, parents need to look at a bigger picture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2007, 12:54 PM

1 posts, read 3,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOHR View Post
Ok, moving to Las Vegas was not my top choice in life. I know it's going to be hot (lived in PHX for 4 years) but I do like it's proximity for taking vaacations. I actually really like it where I am in OH. But lack of good paying jobs in the advertising industry in this area has forced this move upon my family. My husband took a great job with great pay and benefits in Las Vegas, so he's been out there since the end of October. We have our home here on the market during a very slow time of year for homes to move. Do to that fact that we cannot afford two mortgages because of the insane prices for homes in LV (compared to prices here) me and our 2 sons are staying here till the sale.
I think we have it narrowed down to a few areas Green Valley or Summerlin, my husband is leaning to GV because he has made some friends in that area, and I admit the area is beautiful. But my biggest concern is the schools. We have a great school back here now and I do not my children's education compromised in any way. It makes me nervous when I look at the school accountibility reports and see that elementary children are bringing weapons to school-the reports do not state what kind-and I can only hope that nothing serious had come out of those situations.
Some of the schools seem to test well and do offer many of the programs I would want my children to be involved in.
Any opinions on some of the elementary schools here and some good neighborhoods to consider.
I've also considered being a substitute teacher when I get out there so I can have more time with my kids. anyone have any opinions on that as a job.
My Best advise is check out the private schools in Las Vegas. I know what the school systems are like and I know what living there is like. Summerlin is overcrowded in my opinion I prefered the west part of town the best. Do become a teacher if you can and it may open you up to placing your children where is best for you and them. They have gangs in all the parts of town and schools, and the crime only gets worse I finally left and would not raise my kids there. Just my opinion.

Old 02-21-2007, 06:27 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,279,411 times
Nope. The schools of Summerlin are not over capacity and are on 9 month schedules. None have disciplinary problems and all score reasonably well on testing.

These schools are right up there with good suburban schools anywhere.

The Meadows school is available as is a reasonable catholic school. Meadows is relatively expensive.

Old 02-21-2007, 06:47 PM

2,404 posts, read 10,705,083 times
The Meadows is not a Catholic school.

Old 02-21-2007, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvkewlkid View Post
The Meadows is not a Catholic school.
Yes..that is what it says. The Meadows and a catholic school "Mother Elizabeth Seton"...but they don't need to know that until they join up.

Read the words Kid...

Old 02-21-2007, 09:47 PM

2,404 posts, read 10,705,083 times
Oh, sorry, I read it wrong.

Old 03-13-2007, 01:53 PM

237 posts, read 916,078 times
Quote:
Ok, moving to Las Vegas was not my top choice in life. I know it's going to be hot (lived in PHX for 4 years) but I do like it's proximity for taking vaacations. I actually really like it where I am in OH. But lack of good paying jobs in the advertising industry in this area has forced this move upon my family. My husband took a great job with great pay and benefits in Las Vegas, so he's been out there since the end of October. We have our home here on the market during a very slow time of year for homes to move. Do to that fact that we cannot afford two mortgages because of the insane prices for homes in LV (compared to prices here) me and our 2 sons are staying here till the sale.
I think we have it narrowed down to a few areas Green Valley or Summerlin, my husband is leaning to GV because he has made some friends in that area, and I admit the area is beautiful. But my biggest concern is the schools. We have a great school back here now and I do not my children's education compromised in any way. It makes me nervous when I look at the school accountibility reports and see that elementary children are bringing weapons to school-the reports do not state what kind-and I can only hope that nothing serious had come out of those situations.
Some of the schools seem to test well and do offer many of the programs I would want my children to be involved in.
Any opinions on some of the elementary schools here and some good neighborhoods to consider.
I've also considered being a substitute teacher when I get out there so I can have more time with my kids. anyone have any opinions on that as a job.
I live in summerlin and the filth spills over this is by far the worst place you could ever pick to raise your kids legal gambling, strip clubs everywhere hookers every time you turn around very poor schools not much on education (most of the best jobs here require none) highest suicide rate and teen meth addiction rate in the country we are out when our lease is up I strongly recommend you look at some other cities for your kids sake .. do you really want to raise your children in sin city think about it..??? teachers are very under paid here , and there were 2 kids with guns out front of palo verde high last week and the street was shut down and the schools were locked down including the middle school which is next to it. our house we rent is on the market for 600k . good jobs and low cost of living near the ocean Raliegh north carolina i know tons of people here and from back home in Jersey that are moving there. My wife is scared to death of our son driving in vegas he is almost 14 and there is a fatal accident every day it seems and as more people move here it's only getting worse.

Old 03-13-2007, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bull136 View Post
I live in summerlin and the filth spills over this is by far the worst place you could ever pick to raise your kids legal gambling, strip clubs everywhere hookers every time you turn around very poor schools not much on education (most of the best jobs here require none) highest suicide rate and teen meth addiction rate in the country we are out when our lease is up I strongly recommend you look at some other cities for your kids sake .. do you really want to raise your children in sin city think about it..??? teachers are very under paid here , and there were 2 kids with guns out front of palo verde high last week and the street was shut down and the schools were locked down including the middle school which is next to it. our house we rent is on the market for 600k . good jobs and low cost of living near the ocean Raliegh north carolina i know tons of people here and from back home in Jersey that are moving there. My wife is scared to death of our son driving in vegas he is almost 14 and there is a fatal accident every day it seems and as more people move here it's only getting worse.
Exactly where are the Summerlin strip clubs? And where in Summerlin do the hookers congregate? I have lived in the NW a long time now and I have never come across a working hooker here. Ohh and if a kid with a gun walked past Meadows School or say Bronx High School of Science...would you say that made them bad schools?

Do you realize the crime rate in Henderson NV is about half that of Raleigh NC...except to be truthful on stolen cars where Henderson is worse. So you are going to protect your kids by moving somewhere with twice the crime rate?

Suicides by the way is primarily a non-Clark county problem. Clark is not great but the rural part of the State is pretty bad. It is getting away from all the sins of Vegas that makes those guys blow their brains out.

Old 03-13-2007, 03:06 PM

278 posts, read 1,085,758 times
I'm surprised that the 2 kids with guns in front of Palo Verde high school did not make the news. I've searched everywhere and I can't find it. I found the one at Canyon Springs Highschool last week. If you think that is bad, there is a rash of bomb threats happening here in North eastern OH at many of the local schools, the latest being today at an elementary school. I've completely lost count of the number of them in the last 2 months but it is staggering. I'm beginning to think that children all over the country are losing it. I do not know if it is the parents fault or just the mentallity of the children today. For that reason I am very involved in all that my children do and plan on remaining so as long as they live under my roof.
As I have no choice but to move to Las Vegas I'm going to do it with the most open mind. I have no plans to gamble or see prostitutes. I plan on doing the same things I do here, spend time with my family, which of course is the most important thing. I trust my husband and he seems to really like it out there.

Old 03-13-2007, 03:20 PM

Quote:
I'm surprised that the 2 kids with guns in front of Palo Verde high school did not make the news. I've searched everywhere and I can't find it. I found the one at Canyon Springs Highschool last week. If you think that is bad, there is a rash of bomb threats happening here in North eastern OH at many of the local schools, the latest being today at an elementary school. I've completely lost count of the number of them in the last 2 months but it is staggering. I'm beginning to think that children all over the country are losing it. I do not know if it is the parents fault or just the mentallity of the children today. For that reason I am very involved in all that my children do and plan on remaining so as long as they live under my roof.
As I have no choice but to move to Las Vegas I'm going to do it with the most open mind. I have no plans to gamble or see prostitutes. I plan on doing the same things I do here, spend time with my family, which of course is the most important thing. I trust my husband and he seems to really like it out there.
when I was in school a phone call bomb threat would have been met with laughter. A kid with a gun was simply arrested and likely turned over to his parents with an admonition not to do it again. Perhaps a visit from a social worker or a trip to Juve if the cops thought the kid might be really dangerous. No way schools got locked down. Get caught with an illegal substance...booze actually the most likely though pot was around...and you would likely have to bring in your parents and spend a month in detention.

We walked to and from school unaccompanied. We knew about perverts...even where a couple lived. But it was expected that you avoided such and that you were smart enough not to get compromised. Even had instructions on hitting the nearest house if someone was approaching you aggresively.

The world simply works to a different standard today. I am not sure it is a better one.

As to the two guys with guns...no crime report of any such. Could have been real..could have been a guy who was legal...could have been a kid story...or Bull could be bulls...ing us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas