Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 02:25 PM

226 posts, read 1,009,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
We have an "On the Border" about a mile away. Has the same menu as yours. I hate to tell you this but it is nationwide chain

From the NY Times Cost of LIving Calculator for a $50,000 earner...

The cost of living in Reno, NV is 0.1% higher than in Las Vegas, NV. Therefore, you would have to earn a salary of $50,025 to maintain your current standard of living.

Employers in Reno, NV typically pay 0.9% more than employers in Las Vegas, NV. Therefore, if you take the same type of job in the same type of company in Reno, NV you are likely to earn $50,437.
It may be a national chain but the prices do vary from location to location, you will see when you go to their menu you have to choose a location, this is so that you can get the prices for your "On the Border"

Look at the prices when you choose Las Vegas and then choose one say in Missouri and then look at the price of that same item, you will see that fajitas that are say 12.99 in MO are 16.99 in Vegas!

I chose "On the Border" specifically because I knew they had one in Vegas and they had one in Reno and they show their prices on the menus so you could do a comparison of price for "On the Border" in Reno Vs. "On the Border" in Vegas, but they aren't showing the one in Reno on their website anymore and when I just tried calling them, their number was disconnected, so they must have closed down here in Reno. But you can still compare prices of different "on the Borders" here, you know what, I'll do it for you:

Find Locations - Menu (http://www.ontheborder.com/menu/default.asp?catID=&tierID=64&Unit_ID=001%2E017%2E0 167&state=IA - broken link)

this is a link to the menu of the On the Border in Des Moines, IA area; they have Ultimate Loaded Queso listed for
$6.29

Find Locations - Menu (http://www.ontheborder.com/menu/default.asp?catID=&tierID=27&Unit_ID=750%2E806%2E0 001&state=NV - broken link)

here is a link to the menu for Las Vegas, wait a min, there is no prices shown here, they must have caught on that we know they charge more for the same item in Vegas so they took down the price, but never fear, I can call them on my cell phone and find out what the price is!

Ok so I just spoke with them and they said that The Ultimate Loaded Queso is 8.99

Heres a link to one in San Diego where the loaded queso is $7.99

Find Locations - Menu (http://www.ontheborder.com/menu/default.asp?catID=&tierID=26&Unit_ID=750%2E719%2E0 002&state=CA - broken link)

So prices can vary even at the same restaraunt, depending on where in the country they are located... And I have seen that on average, things cost more in Vegas than in other parts of the country! Does Burger King even offer the Jr. Whopper for $1 down there?

And cost of living calculators are bull**** they told us we would make like 15% more when we moved here, but then I was offered a job for $9 and I use to make $12. They just go off of averages, not specific to anyone's unique situation!

So its $6.29 in Des Moines but its $8.99 in Vegas! Same restaraunt, same food, right? So why is it $2.79 more in Las Vegas?

Last edited by SoCiEtY's ReBel; 05-26-2008 at 02:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2008, 02:48 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,264,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCiEtY's ReBel View Post
It may be a national chain but the prices do vary from location to location, you will see when you go to their menu you have to choose a location, this is so that you can get the prices for your "On the Border"

Look at the prices when you choose Las Vegas and then choose one say in Missouri and then look at the price of that same item, you will see that fajitas that are say 12.99 in MO are 16.99 in Vegas!

I chose "On the Border" specifically because I knew they had one in Vegas and they had one in Reno and they show their prices on the menus so you could do a comparison of price for "On the Border" in Reno Vs. "On the Border" in Vegas, but they aren't showing the one in Reno on their website anymore and when I just tried calling them, their number was disconnected, so they must have closed down here in Reno. But you can still compare prices of different "on the Borders" here, you know what, I'll do it for you:

Find Locations - Menu (http://www.ontheborder.com/menu/default.asp?catID=&tierID=64&Unit_ID=001%2E017%2E0 167&state=IA - broken link)

this is a link to the menu of the On the Border in Des Moines, IA area; they have Ultimate Loaded Queso listed for
$6.29

Find Locations - Menu (http://www.ontheborder.com/menu/default.asp?catID=&tierID=27&Unit_ID=750%2E806%2E0 001&state=NV - broken link)

here is a link to the menu for Las Vegas, wait a min, there is no prices shown here, they must have caught on that we know they charge more for the same item in Vegas so they took down the price, but never fear, I can call them on my cell phone and find out what the price is!

Ok so I just spoke with them and they said that The Ultimate Loaded Queso is 8.99

Heres a link to one in San Diego where the loaded queso is $7.99

Find Locations - Menu (http://www.ontheborder.com/menu/default.asp?catID=&tierID=26&Unit_ID=750%2E719%2E0 002&state=CA - broken link)

So prices can vary even at the same restaraunt, depending on where in the country they are located... And I have seen that on average, things cost more in Vegas than in other parts of the country! Does Burger King even offer the Jr. Whopper for $1 down there?

And cost of living calculators are bull**** they told us we would make like 15% more when we moved here, but then I was offered a job for $9 and I use to make $12. They just go off of averages, not specific to anyone's unique situation!

So its $6.29 in Des Moines but its $8.99 in Vegas! Same restaraunt, same food, right? So why is it $2.79 more in Las Vegas?
There are any number of places cheaper than Las Vegas. Reno is not one of them. Check again. I don't think Des Moines is near Reno or Las Vegas. I think it is in Iowa. You would have to pay me a very large bonus to get me to set foot in Iowa anymore live there. Heck even Iowans don't much care for it. Ever see how many you find in Vegas?

Give it up. Nothing is particularly cheap in Reno and never has been. At various times housing has been as much as 5% higher in Reno than Vegas.

And if you really want to save some money I know some places in Nebraska and North Dakota and Missouri that are really cheap.

Old 05-26-2008, 06:05 PM

12,908 posts, read 28,047,026 times
the utilities dont collect the deposits prior to turning on the juice, its on the first bill.. you will see

Old 05-26-2008, 10:45 PM

322 posts, read 1,272,431 times
I got charged by the gas company for a deposit, but it will be returned to me in 12 months. Not sure how much it is, but it shows up on the first bill.

One thing I noticed looking at apartments (and rental houses) out here is that the fees are much higher that they were "back home" (Ann Arbor, MI).

Apartments in Ann Arbor there was a deposit, often less than first months rent (usually a "special") and a refundable pet deposit of around $300.

Vegas/Henderson apartments and houses there is a Deposit equal to first months rent, a key deposit, a mailbox key deposit, a pet fee, a pet deposit, a welcome center deposit, an application fee, credit check fee, a welcome to Vegas fee. Ok, i am embellishing a bit here, but the fees and deposits/fees are much more than I am used to.

Also, in my apartment I have to pay gas, electricity, cable, internet, water, and trash. The first 4 are pretty standard, but the last 2 I have never had to pay in an apartment before.

My total "move-in" cost was well over $700 including the pet fees/deposits, not counting rent.

Then comes all the crap that you forget that you have to buy because you just moved across the country. Everything from soap, cleaners, trash cans, trash bags, toilet paper, etc... Buying all the necessary "Stuff" all at once really adds up.

On the food issue.....

I never cook, ever. Where I used to live and now every meal is at a restraunt. I would say that overall Vegas/Henderson is a bit more expensive, but not by much. A dollar or so per meal, depending on the place you choose to eat. YMMV.

Old 05-27-2008, 02:14 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,965,510 times
I agree on the no trash or sewage charges in MI. We don't have that at least anywhere I have seen. Most apts do not charge for water here either.

Old 05-27-2008, 03:35 PM

2,086 posts, read 6,856,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCiEtY's ReBel View Post
And housing in Reno is not more expensive than housing in Vegas, this is absurd... If you claim it is fact, then show me the facts. I believe it as fact, that rent, on average is more in Vegas than in Reno; here is my source: Apartments.com - Free Nationwide Apartment Search with the Most Visual Rental Listings Online.
As of 4th Q 2006-1st Q 2007 the average monthly apartment rent in Reno was $863 a month. Here is my source: http://www.colliersoxford.com/newsletters/rno.inv.news.Q4-06.pdf (broken link)

As of 4th Q 2006- 1st Q 2007 the average monthly apartment rent in Vegas was $857. Here is my source:Current Clark County, NV, Economic Data Snapshot from CBER@UNLV

Unfortunately I could not find one credible source that directly compared or had stats on both markets, but I figure that Colliers International and UNLV should suffice.

According to this article, the median home price in Washoe County is $275,000, with the Reno metro area coming in at $320,000. These stats are accurate as of April of 2008 (according to the article). Existing home sales show slight improvement | www.rgj.com | Reno Gazette-Journal

According to this article, the median home price in the Las Vegas-Paradise metro is $246,500. ReviewJournal.com - Business - REAL ESTATE: Single-family home sales inch up

According to this link, the median existing home price in Clark County is $230,000. It's the same UNLV link as before.
Current Clark County, NV, Economic Data Snapshot from CBER@UNLV

According to this link the Las Vegas median family income is $61,787. MONEY Magazine: Best places to live 2007: Las Vegas, NV snapshot

According to this link the Reno median family income is $58,316. MONEY Magazine: Best places to live 2007: Reno, NV snapshot

Pay special attention to the family purchasing power stat of each city.

Old 06-07-2008, 12:37 AM

81 posts, read 260,732 times
If anyone cares,

just got my first Southwest Gas Bill

Service Establishment = 26.32
Deposit = 80.00

10 days billed = 6.00
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas