Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2022, 08:15 AM

18,163 posts, read 15,684,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyaw View Post
Right on schedule, Mr Gavin Newsome Clone followed California in ending the mask mandate. This guy has no clue, he ONLY follows what California does. We're Nevadans, and we live in NEVADA. We do our on thing, blaze our own trails and do not follow our f'upd neighbor next door. Hopefully he's out of here this fall.

https://www.reviewjournal.com/news/p...ndate-2527378/
Ahh yes. Steve Sleestak right on cue. And an off year state of tHe state from Vegas of course. Cartoon City is to conservative a venue I reckon. Asa rural dwelling NV born and bred I'm right there with you to see him ousted come November. Along with Masto. Let them go back to Vegasifornia. Hell I still think we should do a swap with Vegas and Reno /Sparks to CA for Alpine county North to Oregon. They'd get rid of all those Rural deplorables the loathe so much and we'd get rid of two urban blights that are a majority CA transplant population anyway.

And we'd gain some good hunting and fishing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2022, 10:44 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,591,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Ahh yes. Steve Sleestak right on cue. And an off year state of tHe state from Vegas of course. Cartoon City is to conservative a venue I reckon. Asa rural dwelling NV born and bred I'm right there with you to see him ousted come November. Along with Masto. Let them go back to Vegasifornia. Hell I still think we should do a swap with Vegas and Reno /Sparks to CA for Alpine county North to Oregon. They'd get rid of all those Rural deplorables the loathe so much and we'd get rid of two urban blights that are a majority CA transplant population anyway.

Well, let me know ahead of time, so I can move upstate before the property prices go up even more!

Old 02-23-2022, 12:26 PM

1,262 posts, read 1,071,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post

What's with you rural dwellers and your lack of ability to put two and two together? You had no problem with Nevada's growth in the 90s and 2000s when it was mainly Republican retirees from Orange County funneling into Summerlin and Henderson.

Those nicely-paved roads you drive on way out in Ely, Tonopah and Elko? Better thank Clark County for reeling in all that tourist money from California and other states!

Without Reno, you wouldn't have a halfway decent university to educate your children or produce decent doctors, researchers, scientists and educators. Without either city, you wouldn't be able to fund those rural clinics and state/county/township jobs that half of you rely on! You probably wouldn't have decent community colleges either.

Without Las Vegas and Reno, you would look like Utah's creepy stepbrother -- the West Virginia of the Wild West!

Old 02-23-2022, 12:32 PM

26,288 posts, read 49,214,254 times
apple92680, there's a lot of truth in that.

The voters in rural Colorado learned that lesson ten years ago when some of the more extreme ones starting running their mouths about seceding from the state and setting up their own state. Once they saw just how much money got sucked out of Colorado's Front Range (the I-25 corridor from Fort Collins down to Pueblo) they shut up, sat down, and spent that city slicker money on themselves. Saw it in VA too many years back.

People just hate to accept the fact "that we're all in this together."
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 02-23-2022, 01:38 PM

1,262 posts, read 1,071,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
apple92680, there's a lot of truth in that.

The voters in rural Colorado learned that lesson ten years ago when some of the more extreme ones starting running their mouths about seceding from the state and setting up their own state. Once they saw just how much money got sucked out of Colorado's Front Range (the I-25 corridor from Fort Collins down to Pueblo) they shut up, sat down, and spent that city slicker money on themselves. Saw it in VA too many years back.

People just hate to accept the fact "that we're all in this together."
Just like all of the yahoos up in rural Nor Cal and eastern Oregon/Washington who wanted to break off and form the "State of Jefferson" at one point. Now they've scrapped that and want to become part of "Greater Idaho"

Half of them are on some form of state assistance (MediCal, CalWorks, GR, etc), another third of them are employed by state/county/municipal entities that rely directly on state funding, about 10% rely on federal farm subsidies.

So, if they were to break off from California, Oregon and eastern Washington, they would essentially overwhelm and swamp Idaho's government. When they found someone smart enough to do the math, it was pretty much determined that state government in Boise would be massively encumbered.

If the rural dwellers in Nor Cal, eastern Oregon and Washington want out of their states so bad, they could always pick up and move to Idaho.

So why don't they?

Well...because (although they'll never say so) they really like their MediCal benefits, their state and county jobs, their rural county clinics and hospitals, government-funded treatment programs, GR, state disability benefits, etc -- things that, if they asked for them in Republican Idaho -- they'd be promptly told to "go pound sand" or worse!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas