Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2021, 01:12 PM

1 posts, read 888 times

Advertisements

I am coming from California to take a new job in that field. I lived in Vegas Briefly last year for a bit so I am familiar with the areas and neighborhoods.

I am relocating from Northern California and out here I know where all the cops, firefighters, emt tend to live and buy. Most stick to a particular area or town.

Is there any particular neighborhoods to check out? I lived in the Spring Valley area for awhile last year. I hear most buy in Henderson...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2021, 09:09 PM

1,086 posts, read 753,892 times
I don't know but I'd live in Summerlin as it's the nicest area of town.

Old 03-19-2021, 11:11 PM

1,286 posts, read 1,492,772 times
Henderson.

Old 03-20-2021, 04:14 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,668,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longviewJoe View Post
I don't know but I'd live in Summerlin as it's the nicest area of town.
I love you Joe lol but Summerlin and Henderson are equally nice, if you’re trying to be unbiased - which I’m trying really hard. I personally think Henderson is far nicer, which is why we bought here. Our budget was up to $1.5M and I just didn’t like Summerlin. For me it was too far away from both the Strip and airport, I didn’t like the vibe I was getting - almost overly “family friendly” and drab. I think Green Valley is, well, more green than what we saw of Summerlin. I find GVR nicer than Red Rock. I noticed a 15% higher cost for Summerlin but it wasn’t justified. I have more restaurants on Eastern than probably all of Summerlin combined. I just didn’t like it. Even driving, I can make it to LA faster from Henderson. The Ridges is the most luxurious area of Summerlin and it’s awesome but it’s directly countered by Ascaya, which is at the worst a tie. Then second best, there’s nothing that’s second best in Summerlin that compares to MacDonald Highlands. MacDonald Ranch here is arguably better than the 3rd best area of Summerlin and that’s where I live. I just didn’t see it at all. Yeah yay Red Rock, ok, we’re closer to Lake Mead which is better than Red Rock I think.

I can agree to my bias and agree to say Summerlin and Henderson are equal, but saying Summerlin is better is pure bias. We have our own police department here, we don’t have to share with the Strip. We have higher building codes and standards - even though that IS annoying at times. We have more population. We’re closer to the Strip. And we have more luxury homes than Summerlin does, too.

PS: Before the year I moved here, I had a negative opinion of Henderson for some reason and I was 95% sure I wanted to be in Summerlin. Can’t entirely say why but part marketing (fantastic for Summerlin, also a huge VGK fan and they live and practice there) and part just not really knowing as much about Henderson. I thought Summerlin was where the rich people lived. Then since living here especially, there are tons of $3-10M houses here in Henderson, my neighbors are all rich, and it didn’t help for me the first 8-10 Uber drivers I had all said they lived in Summerlin. LOL ok. That ruined it. Summerlin could have helped their image by only building million dollar houses and having 10,000 people instead of 100,000. They ended up with too many mediocre buyers and it dilutes the curated image of “the nice area.” If someone can’t afford Summerlin they have to be dirt poor because there are so many cheap houses in that area.

Old 03-20-2021, 09:32 AM

1,073 posts, read 1,049,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
PS: Before the year I moved here, I had a negative opinion of Henderson for some reason and I was 95% sure I wanted to be in Summerlin. Can’t entirely say why but part marketing (fantastic for Summerlin, also a huge VGK fan and they live and practice there) and part just not really knowing as much about Henderson.
We remember.

Old 03-20-2021, 09:48 AM

10,608 posts, read 5,702,735 times
Q: Where do most first responders live in Vegas?

A: In a house.

Old 03-20-2021, 10:36 AM

8,192 posts, read 8,423,480 times
Plenty of lovely areas. Just go looking. First responders live all over the Valley.

Old 03-20-2021, 11:13 AM

1,652 posts, read 1,748,847 times
I think most would live close to where they base for work so they don't have to drive long distances to get to "the office".

Old 03-26-2021, 12:05 PM

1,262 posts, read 1,073,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post

PS: Before the year I moved here, I had a negative opinion of Henderson for some reason and I was 95% sure I wanted to be in Summerlin. Can’t entirely say why but part marketing (fantastic for Summerlin, also a huge VGK fan and they live and practice there) and part just not really knowing as much about Henderson. I thought Summerlin was where the rich people lived. Then since living here especially, there are tons of $3-10M houses here in Henderson, my neighbors are all rich, and it didn’t help for me the first 8-10 Uber drivers I had all said they lived in Summerlin. LOL ok. That ruined it. Summerlin could have helped their image by only building million dollar houses and having 10,000 people instead of 100,000. They ended up with too many mediocre buyers and it dilutes the curated image of “the nice area.” If someone can’t afford Summerlin they have to be dirt poor because there are so many cheap houses in that area.

I had a waitress at Primm Valley tell me that she and her husband lived in Summerlin and she commuted out to state line to work every day.

...Maybe she does? ...Maybe she doesn't? It neither boosted Summerlin nor diminished it in my opinion.

The Howard Hughes Corporation has made the concept of "Summerlin" a sort of cachet for people in the Las Vegas area. The real estate industry feeds into it too, of course. So, even if my waitress lived in western Spring Valley or Peccole Ranch, it would sound better for her (in her mind) to say "Summerlin".

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: