Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 05:46 PM

45 posts, read 274,013 times

Advertisements

From what i read on tourist sites when i first started vacationing out there, all of them mentioned Vegas Throat.(AKA Strip Cough) They said the easiest way to avoid it is a Saline Nasal Spray, and HOT STEAMY showers, to hydrate the sinus and nasal cavity. The reason most people caugh when they are leaving LV is because they are from a humid climate, and the natural humidity keeps the sinus' hydrated. However, with the extremely low Relative Humidity in LV, the sinus dries out, and the result is microscopic tears in the nasal lining... In turn those tears become infected, and now you have a case of Vegas Throat, aka Strip Cough... So when visiting Vegas always remember the saline nasal spray (its non addictive, ive found Simply Saline works best) and before you hop in the shower at night, or in the morning, let the shower steam up, take a few deep breaths through the nose , then hop in the shower, at your normal temp...

Hope this helps!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2008, 06:17 PM

52 posts, read 228,239 times
Hey.....don't forget a little magic cure I've found....the Neti Pot....it's an Indian cure-all for anything sinus related. It's a sinus rinse where you pour water through one nostril and it comes out of the other. It helps keep you moisturized as well as cleaning out the sinuses of allergens.

Old 05-08-2008, 08:49 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,355,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xavierbu View Post
From what i read on tourist sites when i first started vacationing out there, all of them mentioned Vegas Throat.(AKA Strip Cough) They said the easiest way to avoid it is a Saline Nasal Spray, and HOT STEAMY showers, to hydrate the sinus and nasal cavity. The reason most people caugh when they are leaving LV is because they are from a humid climate, and the natural humidity keeps the sinus' hydrated. However, with the extremely low Relative Humidity in LV, the sinus dries out, and the result is microscopic tears in the nasal lining... In turn those tears become infected, and now you have a case of Vegas Throat, aka Strip Cough... So when visiting Vegas always remember the saline nasal spray (its non addictive, ive found Simply Saline works best) and before you hop in the shower at night, or in the morning, let the shower steam up, take a few deep breaths through the nose , then hop in the shower, at your normal temp...

Hope this helps!

You are exactly right. It takes a while for your mucus membranes to get acclimated to the lack of humidity. You can make your own saline solution too. It's just salt water. Some people just put a little salt in their hand, mix in a little water, and sniff it up their nose. Coating the throat with honey helps too. Staying out of air conditioning as much as possible helps. But chances are you won't get it. Not everyone does. If you are run down to start with you might. The best thing for a sore throat sounds counterproductive, but it works. Chew ice. I mean all the time. Keep it up until all of a sudden the sore throat will be gone. Slurppies would be really good for this if it weren't for the sugar in them which can make a sore throat worse. It's kind of like you're freezing the infection out.

Old 05-08-2008, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami Mike View Post
Hey.....don't forget a little magic cure I've found....the Neti Pot....it's an Indian cure-all for anything sinus related. It's a sinus rinse where you pour water through one nostril and it comes out of the other. It helps keep you moisturized as well as cleaning out the sinuses of allergens.
Those things look gross and it seems like you could drown.

Old 05-08-2008, 09:16 PM

35 posts, read 114,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami Mike View Post
Sounds like waterboarding to me

Old 05-09-2008, 03:25 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,946,467 times
I have seen the neti-pot on Oprah with Dr. Oz an he said it is a great, effective way to keep sinuses well.

When I was there for 5 days, I had Vegas Throat and Vegas Nose. I never have to blow my nose and it was so dry that it was bleeding. Should have gotten a neti-pot. I am telling you one day after being home-gone was the dryness. Strange there. But MI is very humid.

BTW, I had Vegas feet too!!

Old 05-09-2008, 04:14 PM

6 posts, read 22,857 times
Saline spray will help, but drinking water will help more than you would imagine. People come here to visit and will go the whole time without drinking water.

And if you're going to make your own Nasal rinse ever, don't do it with just salt and water. You also want to buffer it with some baking soda. Saline sprays are buffered and not just straight salt and water usually. The magic recipe is 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp baking soda to one cup of nice warm water. This works wonders for me living here and I do it about once a week to help with the dryness and my allergies.

Old 05-09-2008, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birch View Post
Saline spray will help, but drinking water will help more than you would imagine. People come here to visit and will go the whole time without drinking water.

And if you're going to make your own Nasal rinse ever, don't do it with just salt and water. You also want to buffer it with some baking soda. Saline sprays are buffered and not just straight salt and water usually. The magic recipe is 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp baking soda to one cup of nice warm water. This works wonders for me living here and I do it about once a week to help with the dryness and my allergies.
That's good to know about the baking soda. I usually just buy a saline spray because I'm sure it has something to prevent it from going bad and causing an infection...if that's possible. But I have never known how much salt to use and sometimes it kind of burns if you get too much. I learned about the trick from a friend whose doctor told them to just sprinkle a little salt in their hand, add a few drops of water, and just sniff it. That was because they didn't want to use antihistamines for allergies. It does work but only for short periods. I remember reading about a natural remedy for stopping colds from developing that was to mix salt and baking soda in warm water and drink it, but I forgot the formula. It works if you can tolerate a lot of salt. I am on a salt free diet so can't do it, but it does stop a cold if you catch it in time. Something to do with replacing the salt in walls of the cells.

Cold-Ezze lozenges are really good for stopping a cold from developing if you take it right away at the first sign of a cold. Once I get a cold it doesn't do much for me.

Old 05-10-2008, 01:47 PM

572 posts, read 1,684,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
Those things look gross and it seems like you could drown.
Disturbing indeed, Buzz. There is even an instructional video.

YouTube - neti pot

There are no words. Seriously.

Old 05-10-2008, 02:19 PM

539 posts, read 2,102,882 times
I've never tried the Neti Pot but I have found something along the same lines. It is a nasal irrigator. It is basically like a water pik for the nose. I know it sounds disgusting but it has been a blessing for me. I have suffered from chronic sinus infections for years. I found the irrigator in an allergy solutions catalogue. It is amazing. I have not had a sinus infection for years. I also don't suffer from dry nasal membranes in the winter anymore. No more post nasal drip either. It was rather expensive so I would try the Neti Pot first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: