Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 12:22 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,343,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
yep, he reached thru the window.....

Now...he never WAS exactly the "best looking guy around" so the glass may have improved things..... [I was the wedding photpgrapher at Lefty's wedding.....verrrrry interesting group of guests]
If I were you I'd ask the FBI to purge my file. Ha, ha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2008, 12:25 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,101,668 times
it wouldn't surprise me a bit......I also did Hank Greenspuns daughter's wedding....and had an interesting convesation with a guy named Giancana those were the days..............

Old 05-08-2008, 12:41 PM

1,158 posts, read 3,414,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
The thing about Memphis BBQ is they have very good sides, especially their collard greens, red beans and rice, and sweet potatoes. The meat is good, not great. The sweet tea is very good and you can buy it by the gallon. It's hard to find a place that has both good meat and sides. TC's is one that does, plus great sweet tea that's even better than Memphis'. I still say there is no BBQ outside the state of Texas, and there is no BBQ anywhere like the BBQ in Laredo, Texas.
the greens were really good, as were the sweet potatos, and i agree the meat was good, but not great (for my taste, the sweet tea wasn't great either...decent, but i prefer it a bit sweeter)

i disagree about the no Q outside of texas though. granted, there is a type of bbq specific to texas, where they are kings (smoked brisket neone?). st. louis has some mean bbq, esp. if you prefer the pig over the cow (i'm mixed....gimme beef ribs and pork shoulder).

personally i like a good combination of SW, texas, and st.louis style (NM red chile in the rub is a must), smoked over a combination of hardwoods, w/ a punchy sauce (thick, spicy, w/ just a little sweet....but the sauce is an afterthought; the meat is the key). i guess that is why you will always like your Q the best...'cause you make it how you want it - if it only didn't take so long to do it right.

gotta try TC's - thx for the tip guys.

Old 05-08-2008, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinnessjim View Post
the greens were really good, as were the sweet potatos, and i agree the meat was good, but not great (for my taste, the sweet tea wasn't great either...decent, but i prefer it a bit sweeter)

i disagree about the no Q outside of texas though. granted, there is a type of bbq specific to texas, where they are kings (smoked brisket neone?). st. louis has some mean bbq, esp. if you prefer the pig over the cow (i'm mixed....gimme beef ribs and pork shoulder).

personally i like a good combination of SW, texas, and st.louis style (NM red chile in the rub is a must), smoked over a combination of hardwoods, w/ a punchy sauce (thick, spicy, w/ just a little sweet....but the sauce is an afterthought; the meat is the key). i guess that is why you will always like your Q the best...'cause you make it how you want it - if it only didn't take so long to do it right.

gotta try TC's - thx for the tip guys.
OK, Mr. Albuquerque. Does the name Mr. Powdrell's mean anything to you?

Welcome to Mr. Powdrell's Barbeque

Old 05-08-2008, 01:02 PM

Quote:
OK, Mr. Albuquerque. Does the name Mr. Powdrell's mean anything to you?

Welcome to Mr. Powdrell's Barbeque
i knew you'd know what i was talking about, buzz. man...i haven't had that in a while. maybe that combination of things is what shaped my idea of what BBQ is 'supposed' to taste like. my only complaint w/ Mr. Ps was no pulled pork...(and really, w/ all the other good stuff, that isn't really a complaint, so much as a wish)

so hoongry for BBQ now it is stupid.

Old 05-08-2008, 01:44 PM

99 posts, read 416,670 times
Fair enough, Buzz. I cite my unrefined palate on having grown up in Kansas City, MO where, at least during the 70s and 80s, all of our veggies came in a can. And most of my mom's dishes were just a variation of Hamburger Helper, before there was Hamburger Helper.

I will say that my dad gave me my appreciation of Kansas City BBQ and steaks, which I think are still quite good there, though I don't get back that way much anymore. I cited this earlier incorrectly, but I meant to say Gates BBQ in KC is also what I ate a lot of as a kid, and I hear it is still a must for home games at Arrowhead Stadium, when going to a Chief's game.

When eating out, for me, it's gonna be Mexican, Italian, Thai, Chinese, or most recently Indian. I like spicy food, but I may have to take that to the test, as I generally spice food up with sauces and such, if they taste bland to me, such as Sriracha hot chili sauce, Tapatio, Tabasco, HP sauce, and healthy portions of fresh salsa.

Thankfully, I think it's time for lunch. Adios.

Quote:
I'm just saying that most of the people here are from California, so most of the people I know in Las Vegas are from California. From talking to them, and from eating my way through a lot of not very tasty California food, both at Californian owned restaurants here and over there, my conclusion is that they prefer food that I would consider bland, and ordinary, and a lot of grease.

Italian and Mexican are my favorites. I grew up in a city with a large Italian population, and I lived in another city that is 93% Hispanic. Spicy food is not something most Americans are used to, and it takes eating a lot of it to develop a taste and tolerance for it. I never had Mexican food until I came to Las Vegas, then I realized I had never had "good" Mexican food until I lived in Texas and New Mexico. Most places I've visited or lived in have regional specialties that you can't get anywhere else. Sometimes, as in the case of Cincinnati Chili (yucky), that is a good thing. But most regional food is very good. We ain't got no regional food, and neither does California...except maybe for some seafood dishes in San Francisco.

Old 05-08-2008, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjason View Post
Fair enough, Buzz. I cite my unrefined palate on having grown up in Kansas City, MO where, at least during the 70s and 80s, all of our veggies came in a can. And most of my mom's dishes were just a variation of Hamburger Helper, before there was Hamburger Helper.

I will say that my dad gave me my appreciation of Kansas City BBQ and steaks, which I think are still quite good there, though I don't get back that way much anymore. I cited this earlier incorrectly, but I meant to say Gates BBQ in KC is also what I ate a lot of as a kid, and I hear it is still a must for home games at Arrowhead Stadium, when going to a Chief's game.

When eating out, for me, it's gonna be Mexican, Italian, Thai, Chinese, or most recently Indian. I like spicy food, but I may have to take that to the test, as I generally spice food up with sauces and such, if they taste bland to me, such as Sriracha hot chili sauce, Tapatio, Tabasco, HP sauce, and healthy portions of fresh salsa.

Thankfully, I think it's time for lunch. Adios.
My mom was the queen of comfort food. We didn't really eat anything spicy when I was a little kid. That came later. But her chicken was better than any I've ever had except for her mother's. Mom would bake Spam with cloves and pineapple like it was a ham. We always had green beans and mashed potatoes usually grown by us. My mom and my aunts would can green beans, pickled beats, and just about anything we had grown in the "Victory" garden. In the summer I ate lunch in the garden many times. Carrots and onions that I pulled right out of the ground or tomatoes, etc., picked off the vine. I think I've eaten a lot of dirt in my life that way. My favorite meat is still groundhog. Better than chicken.

Hey, we recently discovered a little Thai hole in the wall restaurant called Jasmine at Lake Mead and Buffalo. It's in a small center between the McDonald's and Buca De Beppo. It has become our favorite, but we mostly get carryout as the place is so small. Besides I like to eat in the living room watching TV like normal people.

Old 05-08-2008, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinnessjim View Post
i knew you'd know what i was talking about, buzz. man...i haven't had that in a while. maybe that combination of things is what shaped my idea of what BBQ is 'supposed' to taste like. my only complaint w/ Mr. Ps was no pulled pork...(and really, w/ all the other good stuff, that isn't really a complaint, so much as a wish)

so hoongry for BBQ now it is stupid.
Here is the ultimate barbacoa joint in the U.S of A.
Cotulla Style Pit Bar B Q - Laredo, TX 78041 - Reviews: Barbeque Restaurants
This place is worth a trip to Laredo. I see on the web that even Dubya stopped there for lunch.
They cook a large beef skirt over an open mesquite fire, then they shred it by hand. They put the meat into homemade soft flour tortillas with their especial homemade salsa and call them mariachis con carne. They also make mariachis con papas y huevos that make a fantastic breakfast. At the TV station in Laredo, every morning someone would make a mariachi run and we would all eat breakfast before any work got done. I can still taste it.

Old 05-08-2008, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Here is the ultimate barbacoa joint in the U.S of A.
Cotulla Style Pit Bar B Q - Laredo, TX 78041 - Reviews: Barbeque Restaurants
This place is worth a trip to Laredo. I see on the web that even Dubya stopped there for lunch.
They cook a large beef skirt over an open mesquite fire, then they shred it by hand. They put the meat into homemade soft flour tortillas with their especial homemade salsa and call them mariachis con carne. They also make mariachis con papas y huevos that make a fantastic breakfast. At the TV station in Laredo, every morning someone would make a mariachi run and we would all eat breakfast before any work got done. I can still taste it.
you know, the best ribs i ever had were up in Yellowstone National Park...Roosevelt Lodge made some fall off the bone, spend weeks thinking about and the day of drooling about beef ribs. every field season we would make the trek up there once we were off the water and the dives complete...i still remember clearly the venom directed at myself and another grad student when one year we snagged the last orders of ribs (we both got full racks, of course). the higher ups (PI's and Co-Is) had decided that the table would be too crowded w/ all of us, so unbeknownst to the two of us, we were sat w/ a table of associates from the USGS while the rest continued to lounge on the deck and enjoy their drinks. ostracized from the rest of the biology science team, we ordered ourselves a bottle (or two...ok, maybe 3 ) of wine and just happened to get the last two orders of ribs (which the waiter told us as we did).

well....we knew there would be hell to pay - and about 15 min later as the news was broke to our 'team', we realized the extent of it. there was grumbling and rumbling and it was even suggested by some that we might want to share our full racks w/ our superiors (the other table included not only both of our advisor, but also some members of our respective committees). after all, this was a yearly event that we all had been talking/dreaming about for several weeks of 12-20hr days (field work time is precious and expensive....you don't take time off...if the weather was ok - e.g. no lightning - and there was daylight, we were on the lake). to say they were upset would be a remarkable understatement. as we were enjoying our feast, we were struck occasionally by a feeling i now liken more toward guilt than fear; we could feel the stares as one by one, perfectly sucked clean rib bones hit the discard plate making an at first hollow noise which morphed gradually to a gentle, but audible thud as more dead soldiers were added to the pile. we ate every single one of our ribs.

the best thing is that two years later (we had a funding issue that prevented all but me from being in the park in 2000...ironically enough i managed to receive funding from the USGS associates i ate dinner w/ on that initial fateful night) the scene was repeated, orchestrated as a practical joke by myself...some people still don't find it funny

Old 05-08-2008, 04:11 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,709,860 times
Stop Stop Stop You Guys Are Making Me Hungry!!! For Good Bbq And I Know Vegas Does"nt Have The Good Stuff You Guys Are Talking About!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas