Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2020, 05:27 PM

2,413 posts, read 2,028,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
the Feds will help subsidize a light rail system providing it serves, mainly, residents.
Please cite a source.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2020, 05:33 PM

26,209 posts, read 49,017,880 times
In my observations, the Feds will subsidize anything that vested-interest developers want.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 10-23-2020, 12:29 PM

23,212 posts, read 29,023,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
Please cite a source.
No, I'm not going to go through all that work. How on earth do you think all these light rail projects have been built, coast to coast, in the last 20 years, without a big tax burden on the local taxpayers? When I was in Sacramento 5-6 years ago, I read in the paper, that the new extension heading south was to be paid half by the city by and half by the Feds.

That $16 Billion Purple Subways line, being built below Wilshire Blvd, from DT to UCLA, even tho' there's a 1/2 percent sales tax (approved by 68% of the voters by the way) to help fund it, there's no way that tax revenue is going to pay for that Subway line, given they're also building other light rail lines around L.A. The Crenshaw line is almost completed going from USC to the Airport and the Gold line is being extended eastward from Asuza and there's also an Orange line under consideration.

Old 10-23-2020, 05:23 PM

2,413 posts, read 2,028,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
No, I'm not going to go through all that work. How on earth do you think all these light rail projects have been built, coast to coast, in the last 20 years, without a big tax burden on the local taxpayers? When I was in Sacramento 5-6 years ago, I read in the paper, that the new extension heading south was to be paid half by the city by and half by the Feds.

That $16 Billion Purple Subways line, being built below Wilshire Blvd, from DT to UCLA, even tho' there's a 1/2 percent sales tax (approved by 68% of the voters by the way) to help fund it, there's no way that tax revenue is going to pay for that Subway line, given they're also building other light rail lines around L.A. The Crenshaw line is almost completed going from USC to the Airport and the Gold line is being extended eastward from Asuza and there's also an Orange line under consideration.
I think your own point went over your head.

Old 01-20-2021, 05:45 PM

57 posts, read 127,472 times
Angry Transit system sucks here

I moved here in 2000 and rode the bus. The bus system in Las Vegas and surrounding area is terrible. I rode the bus for 4 years before I got tired of walking miles to places the buses didn't go to, or traveling for hours (I added 1 hour to the trip for each transfer) and bought a car. Since then I have had to ride the bus on occasion and it has not gotten any better in fact I think it is worse. Unless you are traveling only on the main routes, you can plan on doing a lot of walking or wasting time waiting for the next bus. Something needs to be done so you can travel where ever you need to go without buses. I just turned 70 and getting around without a car is impossible. I have trouble walking and without a car I would be housebound. I am retired and do not have the money to hire taxis all the time. Getting home from the VA hospital sucks when you have anything done and the hospital requires you to have someone accompany you. I also had the same problem when I had my knee replaced at Nellis AFB. My wife is legally blind and cannot drive.

Old 01-20-2021, 10:20 PM

23,212 posts, read 29,023,557 times
There was ample space in the downtown area to build the VA Hospital, including Symphony Park, and, you'd expect a VA Hospital to be centrally located, equidistant to others areas, and why oh why oh why oh why did they build it so far north???? What were they thinking? That most Veterans who use it live in that area?

I've ridden the bus, occasionally, in my 22 years living there, and I never really uttered any complaints about it, I think it's a good system, all you need is the newest guide with you so your wait times for the next bus is minimal.

Given that I don't think Las Vegas is ever going back to normal after the pandemic, I now think any light rail construction should be put on hold, given they're substituting a Rapid Transit Bus to replace the light line from the Airport to Downtown and UMC. Las Vegas will always be a laggard, and Las Vegans seem to take pride in it.

Never mind, in a good many cities today, you can walk out of the Airport and jump onto a light rail train to whiz you off to the downtown area. I'm sure those that have that convenience, are quite puzzled when they walk out the doors of McCarren Airport and see taxi's waiting, or go to the basement and see buses waiting.

Welcome to the 1960's!

Old 01-21-2021, 09:21 AM

18,058 posts, read 10,338,167 times
The era of the autonomous cars and busses is upon us. Expect we will see fleets of smaller vehicles providing the transit. And they will be route flexible...call one to the point of need and take it to the precise destination. And dedicated bus roads will be able to move people as fast or faster than the light rail. The autonomous bus equivalent will be able to move at a high speed and nose to tail.

And McCarran airport is one of the most convenient in the world. Yes Chicago and other airports provide rail links to downtown but none are anywhere near as convenient as McCarran...being in downtown beats a long rail ride every time.

Old 01-21-2021, 10:55 AM

26,209 posts, read 49,017,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
The era of the autonomous cars and busses is upon us. Expect we will see fleets of smaller vehicles providing the transit. And they will be route flexible...call one to the point of need and take it to the precise destination. And dedicated bus roads will be able to move people as fast or faster than the light rail. The autonomous bus equivalent will be able to move at a high speed and nose to tail.

And McCarran airport is one of the most convenient in the world. Yes Chicago and other airports provide rail links to downtown but none are anywhere near as convenient as McCarran...being in downtown beats a long rail ride every time.
And with no cab drivers in the vehicle there will not be any more cabbies shot by junkies, like my buddy Paul back in Baltimore ... shot to death in a gas station one night as he was filling the tank ....
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: