Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2008, 11:48 AM

55 posts, read 141,782 times

Advertisements

I'am a 22 yr. old college student who wants to transfer to UNLV for the Hospitality Mngmt. program this fall. Before I make a decision whether to move to Las Vegas or not I just wanted some opinons of what others who live in Las Vegas think about living there. Is it easy finding jobs at hotels there? I'am looking for a front desk position at a hotel or resort. So far from what I have heard about Las Vegas is not to live around UNLV or in North Las Vegas. The crime rate is high, its extremely hot in the summer (although Im used to really hot summers), its hard to make friends there. On the other hand I have heard that I will never be bored and there are plenty of jobs out there. I know every big city has its good and its bad. If anyone has any opinons or anything I would love to hear them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2008, 12:24 PM

359 posts, read 1,407,585 times
i cant give you specific info for a job at the front desk, but i heard work is easy to find here if youre not picky which imo is true. after moving to vegas, i was able to find a job within a month of moving.

as for living here, i think its much better than where i used to live. the people here are also pretty friendly. as for what ppl say about not living in the north, i have heard that also. but i also read that some people do not find it so bad in the north either.

theres a lot of opinions about living in vegas floating around here and i hope that they will help you decide what to do ! if you do move here, heres an advanced welcome !!

Old 04-17-2008, 12:29 PM

55 posts, read 141,782 times
Thanks for the advance welcome Toyojo! No Im not that picky.

Old 04-17-2008, 12:30 PM

in that case, you should have no trouble finding a job. if i found one you can too !

Old 04-17-2008, 09:59 PM

191 posts, read 665,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyojo View Post
in that case, you should have no trouble finding a job. if i found one you can too !

you sir are very positive on how you think...keep it up brotha.

Old 04-18-2008, 04:40 AM

4 posts, read 15,489 times
Jobs recently have been harder to come by especially with recent layoffs, but they are there and a lot seem to be suddenly picking up. And since you have or will soon have a degree you should have even less problems finding a good hotel job. Don't forget there are hotels in Henderson that you could apply at too. And if the commute isn't a problem, Jean or Primm (especially Primm) are about 45 miles south of Vegas and hiring right now.

As far as places to live, I am right now living off Harmon and Koval in a 'shady' area, but I feel perfectly comfortable walking around alone at night. I lived in rougher places in Salt Lake. The bad parts of town aren't all that bad outside of the numbered streets and downtown area. My girlfriend who is a smaller stature very attractive girl feels very comfortable in the area and is not worried about anything happening to her. There is a disproportionate amount of other races (mainly black and hispanic) so if you're from smaller areas or predominantely white areas you'll probably be a little uncomfortable, but still probably safe.

North Las Vegas again isn't all that bad, just stay away from MLK, Lake Mead, and Las Vegas Blvd's. Those seem to be on the news the most.

People here are really nice and if you're outgoing you should be able to make friends really quickly.

And as far as the heat, well you'll be stuck with that everywhere in the valley. But its a dry heat and imho I would rather be stuck in Vegas at 110 than Salt Lake at 80. And I've lived through both so I can say so =P

Anyway I'm done rambling. I hope this helps your decision.

Oh and one last thing. You'll never run out of things to do. Clubs all over, bars, theatres, museums, shows, wilderness all around you etc... Just don't go to the zoo. They treat the animals horribly and don't deserve our support.

NOW I'm done rambling.

Old 04-18-2008, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosozoku View Post
you sir are very positive on how you think...keep it up brotha.
haha thanks ! feeling optimistic sure helps out in many ways,

to the OP, i agree with what gclayton86 said. the heat here is much better since its dry. in my motherland its extremely humid and the weather reaches as hot as 80-90 on a bad day. but like you said, youre used to it so no worries !

Old 04-18-2008, 10:38 AM

10 posts, read 24,202 times
I'm in a similar situation. I'm looking for a place to live in the fall. I've visited a few times and seen quite a bit of the area. My friend had a house near Lone Mountain but I was leaning toward the Henderson area however due to my fitness expertise( Exercise Science degree) I'll be looking for a spa/fitness facility type job so I may want to live closer to the strip. Ultimately, I'd like a safe area. I'm a 24 yo single woman.

Old 04-18-2008, 02:22 PM

560 posts, read 2,187,798 times
You won't have to live near the strip, there are fitness/spas in just about every strip mall here. I don't think you would have any problem finding a job in that particular field.

Old 04-18-2008, 05:31 PM

697 posts, read 3,278,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariposabella View Post
I'am a 22 yr. old college student who wants to transfer to UNLV for the Hospitality Mngmt. program this fall. Before I make a decision whether to move to Las Vegas or not I just wanted some opinons of what others who live in Las Vegas think about living there. Is it easy finding jobs at hotels there? I'am looking for a front desk position at a hotel or resort. So far from what I have heard about Las Vegas is not to live around UNLV or in North Las Vegas. The crime rate is high, its extremely hot in the summer (although Im used to really hot summers), its hard to make friends there. On the other hand I have heard that I will never be bored and there are plenty of jobs out there. I know every big city has its good and its bad. If anyone has any opinons or anything I would love to hear them.
Are you accepted to the program yet??? Most of the classes are full. The program is not that easy to get into either. Speaking from mine and my wife's experience.

NLV is nice in many areas (i am a cop up there) and there is nothing wrong with the areas around UNLV either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas