Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 05:42 PM

687 posts, read 4,404,570 times

Advertisements

My parents had one of those fiberglass pools installed by a local company here a few years back and it was complete junk! The equipment including the heater was undersized, the light was fiberoptic and very dim, and the jacuzzi was uneven. They came back and jackhammered the jacuzzi up to level it, but then the concrete never matched. The pump was 2hp but the filter was just a single small cartridge and the pressure blew it apart. By the way, I would not go with a cartridge filter setup, I converted mine over to sand and I would never change back, although most local contracters still prefer cartridge. Stick with a concrete pool with good high quality equipment and a real light so you can see at night!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2008, 07:57 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,709,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger08 View Post
My parents had one of those fiberglass pools installed by a local company here a few years back and it was complete junk! The equipment including the heater was undersized, the light was fiberoptic and very dim, and the jacuzzi was uneven. They came back and jackhammered the jacuzzi up to level it, but then the concrete never matched. The pump was 2hp but the filter was just a single small cartridge and the pressure blew it apart. By the way, I would not go with a cartridge filter setup, I converted mine over to sand and I would never change back, although most local contracters still prefer cartridge. Stick with a concrete pool with good high quality equipment and a real light so you can see at night!
I have seen quite a bit of pools and there are some bad jobs, but for the most part, they are all pretty good. I service about 10 fiberglass pools and they are all pretty nice. I do prefer concrete, but if fiberglass is done right, it can be just as nice. Fiberglass never needs an acid wash, and it resists scale, staining and fading better than concrete pools. They also use less chemicals and the water is easier to balance.

As for equipment, the most popular type of filtration is cartridge because the technology has come a long way. The best type of filtration is not sand, but DE. Some say DE causes cancer if you inhale it, so you have to be carefull with it.

Some new type of cartridge filters like the Pentair Quad DE, is a hybrid between cartrige and DE. basically, its 4 cartridges and you clean them by rinsing them off (no backwashing), then you add a scoop of DE. Very good filtration and the filters will last 5 years or more.

Starite system 3 is also a very good cartridge type filter. They use 2 large double sided elements that has awesome filtration. Ive seen these units last more than 5 years and the cartridges show no wear.

The most popular type is the Pentair Clean and Clear series. It is very inexpensive and easy to clean. The manifolds are a good design and they do not crack. Say away from Hayward SwimClear series because the lower manifolds are prone to cracking and the filters they come with is also prone to cracking.

Best equpiment for the money:

Pump/Motors - Pentair Intelliflo pump+motor combination is the best. Power Saving and very quiet. $200 rebate from NV Power when installed
Filtration - Starite System 3, Pentair Clean and Clear Series
Heaters Pentair/Starite Maxiterm or Max-E therm are very reliable
In-ground cleaners - Pentair Caretaker 99
Salt Water/CL generators - Zodiac or Pentair
In Ground Cleaner/Vac - Hayward Vac-Ultra

Last edited by AA702; 04-16-2008 at 08:06 PM..

Old 04-17-2008, 09:22 AM

687 posts, read 4,404,570 times
Thanks for the info. I agree about D.E. I grew up with those in Southern Cal and would have used one here but had no where to backwash it. At least with the sand unit I just flush it off into our oleanders out behind the pool.

Old 04-19-2008, 08:31 PM

5 posts, read 27,538 times
Please follow olecapt's advise!!! When I was contemplating a pool this thread proved invaluable!! Especially read olecapt's and Kovacs posts. They know their stuff!!!! I ended up with a traditional concrete pool and love it!! My posts list my equipment and costs.

Old 06-04-2008, 11:00 PM

6 posts, read 24,233 times
Smile Composite vs Fiberglass

Everyone is rather accurate in the benefits vs cost for either a composite (steel and concrete) or fiberglass. Composite pools offer many more options, (design, features, etc.) as I have yet to see a fiberglass pool with an in-floor cleaning system, while fiberglass is more cost efficient to purchase as it is a pre-cast design with various sizes and depths. You have to remember that it is a pre-made shell which is set into an excavated hole leveled on layered with gravel and that for every feature added means cutting into this shell. Typically they are limited to what you can add to them. There are also spas available, you can also have standard deck poured and they look quite nice. Bottom line is how much you want to spend, what you want, and drawing the line inbetween. I will also agree with AAPool on the equipment choice. The different pool companies have their own "exclusive" brands/manufacturers, so be sure to ask. Desert springs-hayward, Pools by Grube-pentair, Waters-jandy etc. To address what pool company you should use,..you get what you pay for don't expect to get a Dooney and Bourke or a Coach @ Big Lots

Composite: 70' perimeter base pool about 25K, by the time you add a spa, floor system, water feature (sheer descent), 12-15' of tiled and capped raised bond beam, a little extra deck (300 sq ft base is included) etc you're looking @ 47K.
Fiber: minimum options but your cap is approx 20K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiablue View Post
My husband and I are thinking about putting a pool in our backyard. I grew up with an inground cement pool but I don't know anything about the fiberglass pools. Does anyone know which is better? Are fiberglass pools more expensive than inground cement pools? It might be about a 20 by 30 feet pool. Does anyone have any idea about how much this might cost for either types of pools?

Old 06-04-2008, 11:23 PM

6 posts, read 24,233 times
PS 20x30 would be 100' perimeter, base is 70 and for every foot (linear) over is approx 200.00 if it is less than 6 ft deep (any deeper and cost will be higher due to additional steel surcharge from 12 on 12 to 6 on 12, and additional concrete) Spa base is about 6K, some pool companies have a spa base of 6' round or 7' round. Extra charge is about 100.00 per linear ft. This doesn't include raised and tiled bond beam (concrete walls). Just about any pool company will give you a free quote and rough design without obligation.

Old 01-29-2010, 08:26 AM

12,908 posts, read 27,982,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnygirl333 View Post
ripoff!

Old 04-14-2010, 08:29 PM

1 posts, read 4,835 times
Default Fiberglass Pools

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiablue View Post
Yes, fiberglass pools are put into the ground. I need to know if those are better than the cement pools.
Yes, Fiberglass pools are better and cheaper than cement pools,
cement pools crack and vinyl need replacing every 5 years, at $4,000 to $5,000. Fiberglass uses less chemicals, and less electricity, and 90% easier to clean and has 20% flexibility in cold weather which would crack cement. Guaranteed to last a long time. It cost more than vinyl pools because they are less maintenance and vinyl is a pain to clean. Make sure to get a good quality brand like San Juan Pools, or go to Swimmingpoolsnow.com, to get a good price.

Old 04-15-2010, 02:49 PM

255 posts, read 361,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brosati View Post
I love my inground fiberglass pool and spa. You can learn more about the benefits of a fiberglass pool at San Juan Pools, Fiberglass In-ground Swimming Pools and Spas by Viking Pools (http://www.vikingpools.net/abcshow.php - broken link), and Fiberglass Swimming Pools by Hawaiian Figerglass Pools (http://www.hawaiianfiberglasspool.net/ - broken link).
I can't believe it posted that two years ago to the day. Now two years later, I wish I had put in a regular pool instead. The fiberglass stains easily, and I have not been able to remove them.

If I had it to do all over again, I would not install a fiberglass pool. Fiberglass pools are much more expensive to purchase, and maintenance is about the same as a regular pool; so, I really don’t see the benefit of having the fiberglass pool. It looked great when it was brand new, but not so great today.

Old 04-15-2010, 05:02 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,982,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny2828 View Post
Yes, Fiberglass pools are better and cheaper than cement pools,
cement pools crack and vinyl need replacing every 5 years, at $4,000 to $5,000. Fiberglass uses less chemicals, and less electricity, and 90% easier to clean and has 20% flexibility in cold weather which would crack cement. Guaranteed to last a long time. It cost more than vinyl pools because they are less maintenance and vinyl is a pain to clean. Make sure to get a good quality brand like San Juan Pools, or go to Swimmingpoolsnow.com, to get a good price.
1. you must be on the east coast, in vegas, vinyl is near nonexistant.. and no the cement, actually gunite or shotcrete does not crack every 5 years.... so in vegas, fiberglass is NOT the way to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas