Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 11:11 AM

3,728 posts, read 9,479,479 times

Advertisements

Well, there was. I can't remember if they closed that location or not...

My age is showing, CRS...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2008, 11:30 AM

You CAN order Italian stuff online ( I do) from a GOOD old fashioned (I've been in it) Italian Pork Store in Brooklyn....

Italian Sausage, Fresh Italian Sausage, Dry Italian Sausage | Landi's Brooklyn Pork Store, Brooklyn, NY

Now THAT'S what we need here in LV...then we need an old fashioned Italian or German bakery...

Old 04-08-2008, 12:00 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,374,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
I never knew why I didn't care for Italian food until I moved to NJ for 8 years.....there were NOT any Italian Rest. in NV or in colorado.....I had never eaten Itialian food in my life until 1979 in so Phillie.

Same thing with Seafood.....we just don't get the good stuff here....
That was my complaint back in the day. I moved here from a town that prided itself in the best Italian food in the country. We did have a couple of places in Las Vegas but it was very limited. There was the Italian Village on Boulder Highway. The food was pretty good but the pizza was sub par. The best one, especially for pizza, was the Venetian at Sahara and Valley View after it moved from a little hole in the wall on (I think) Charleston or Fremont. I can't remember the name of the place on Convention Center and the Strip but it was probably the best over all. The Villa DeEste (sp?) came along a little later and was a famous mob hangout. The Leaning Tower of Pizza on the Strip was another mob hang out and they had good food. But none of them had food as good as I was used to back home. In fact, just as I was thinking Grape Street had the best linguini and clams in Las Vegas, we had some at a place back home this past October and it was the best in the world (so far).

Old 04-08-2008, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
That was my complaint back in the day. I moved here from a town that prided itself in the best Italian food in the country. We did have a couple of places in Las Vegas but it was very limited. There was the Italian Village on Boulder Highway. The food was pretty good but the pizza was sub par. The best one, especially for pizza, was the Venetian at Sahara and Valley View after it moved from a little hole in the wall on (I think) Charleston or Fremont. I can't remember the name of the place on Convention Center and the Strip but it was probably the best over all. The Villa DeEste (sp?) came along a little later and was a famous mob hangout. The Leaning Tower of Pizza on the Strip was another mob hang out and they had good food. But none of them had food as good as I was used to back home. In fact, just as I was thinking Grape Street had the best linguini and clams in Las Vegas, we had some at a place back home this past October and it was the best in the world (so far).
It's difficult to FIND the good products to make the dishes yourself, we very rarely eat at Italian restaurants...

Can't find very good ones here in LV...

Leaning Tower was a good one, Ferraro's on Flamingo is OK...but nothing as good as when you make it yourself!

Finding all those products to do so was challenging back in the day and it's still the same..

Buying online is the closest we can come to getting the good stuff here...but it's SO expensive!

Old 04-08-2008, 12:53 PM

572 posts, read 1,685,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomMom View Post
Oh yes, plenty of nice little shops in Rome, Venice, Florence, Sorrento and Palermo...

And in Brooklyn, NYC and Long Island too...

Just not here

hmmm... maybe i can do a start up business... buy all that stuff here in NY, and resell it when I am out in Vegas?

MomMom, did I ever tell you the story about the italian bread the first summer i lived in Vegas? LOL!

Old 04-08-2008, 12:55 PM

Quote:
You CAN order Italian stuff online ( I do) from a GOOD old fashioned (I've been in it) Italian Pork Store in Brooklyn....

Italian Sausage, Fresh Italian Sausage, Dry Italian Sausage | Landi's Brooklyn Pork Store, Brooklyn, NY

Now THAT'S what we need here in LV...then we need an old fashioned Italian or German bakery...

OMG! Landi's!!!! They were on Food Network a while back... something with their rice balls? (I can't remember either). The only thing similar to that is up on Arthur Avenue in the Bronx.. but good to know that Landi's will ship. heh

Old 04-08-2008, 01:03 PM

OMG...my hubby's aunt and uncle used to own an Italian Pork Store on Arthur Avenue in the Bronx...Moccia was their name!

Back in the 60's and very early 70's.... Jeez, what a coincidence you should mention that!

And if you tried to bring out NYC stuff and resell it here...you'd be sold out right away, you wouldn't be able to keep the stuff stocked long enough.

That story about Italian Bread and your first summer sounds good...spill the beans Davey!

Old 04-08-2008, 01:12 PM

Quote:
OMG...my hubby's aunt and uncle used to own an Italian Pork Store on Arthur Avenue in the Bronx...Moccia was their name!

Back in the 60's and very early 70's.... Jeez, what a coincidence you should mention that!

And if you tried to bring out NYC stuff and resell it here...you'd be sold out right away, you wouldn't be able to keep the stuff stocked long enough.

That story about Italian Bread and your first summer sounds good...spill the beans Davey!

Ok, i'll try to give the short version of this:

Summer of 2003, we had just purchased and were living out in Vegas, settling and decorating, etc. We decided to actually cook a meal at home, and we had gotten a "welcome basket" from the HOA of pastas and oils, etc. So I head up to Albertson's on trop/durango (von's wasn't even open yet by me), and i'm looking around the bakery department for a nice loaf of semolina that I can make into garlic bread for my pasta and eggplant parmesan.

bakery clerk: "can I help you?"
me: "yeah, I'm looking for some semolina bread"
clerk: "what kind of bread"
me: "you know... semolina... Italian Bread?"
clerk: "oh well we have these"....<points to french baugettes>
me: "no, I'm looking for italian bread, not french bread"
clerk: "oh, well I'm not sure what you are looking for. I've never heard of that kind of bread.. we just have this type" <again points to baugettes>

At this point I rolled my eyes and walked away. My mother was on the other side of the store and started laughing hysterical when I told her.. she was like "this isn't New York, you better get used to this" (mom and dad lived in vegas in the 1970s). I went on a two-day tirade as to how the hell a supermarket couldn't carry italian bread?! (Yeah, i was going through culture shock, for sure)

The only thing about as funny as that was me spending 45 minutes and asking three different stock clerks for helmann's mayonaise. Again, no one knew what I was talking about. Yes, I know now that Best Foods = Helmann's and Dreyer's Ice Cream = Edy's.

Old 04-08-2008, 02:15 PM

You East Coasters! LOL!! Gosh that's funny Davey...I'm sure that's what the girl thought as well...you asking for that semolina bread!

Yeah, not too many places carry semolina bread...I used to get mine at Montesano's on Valley View/Sahara

Try Roma's Deli as well...

I just settle for Albertsons' Italian bread when I want bread...go there at about 4:00 pm...hot out of the oven...

1/4 of the loaf gets eaten in the car before I get home...

Old 04-08-2008, 02:20 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,132,546 times
by the same token. I grew up in Colorado Cattle country and findin a decent steak in all of the east coast couldnt be done.....I had to CHEW every steak I had there.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas