Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2019, 09:15 PM

927 posts, read 883,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramboman55 View Post
I just read another big article in the RJ about the water shortage. They state what can and will be done to California, Arizona, Nevada. I have a great idea !!... STOP BUILDING !!!! Its crazy. The greedy politicians want all the money they can get from taxes etc from the new houses. THey don't care about a water shortage. STOP building !!!! 13,000 homes are going up in CADENCE. 13,000 !!! OMG. How about the southwestern building and the northwestern building. Build build build. To say nothing of how crazy the traffic will be on our roads in 5 yrs.
At least Cadence is building single family homes and not apartments. I've lost count as to how many new apartment complexes have gone up off St. Rose/Silverado Ranch the past few years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2019, 11:10 AM

2,850 posts, read 4,521,584 times
FYI - Jason King has retired. He has been replaced by Tim Wilson

from the article:
"Following nearly three decades of employment with the Silver State and 8 years as Nevada State Engineer, Jason King has officially retired."

https://pvtimes.com/news/full-stay-i...-appeal-65894/

Old 01-28-2019, 12:13 PM

6 posts, read 5,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08grad View Post
At least Cadence is building single family homes and not apartments. I've lost count as to how many new apartment complexes have gone up off St. Rose/Silverado Ranch the past few years.
All of these apartment will use a lot less water than those homes. I just got a notice that another apartment complex (450 units) is going on st. rose. The negative is that they are already bring a lot more crime.

Old 01-28-2019, 04:05 PM

1,927 posts, read 1,057,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by obiwon View Post
All of these apartment will use a lot less water than those homes. I just got a notice that another apartment complex (450 units) is going on st. rose. The negative is that they are already bring a lot more crime.
I doubt that. I used to live in an apt for many years and water usage hasn't changed much since moving to an SFR.

Old 01-28-2019, 07:52 PM

2,076 posts, read 4,073,711 times
Pretty interesting article.

The Colorado River equation, the drought plan and why things have stopped adding up

https://thenevadaindependent.com/art...pped-adding-up

Old 01-28-2019, 09:13 PM

1,927 posts, read 1,057,886 times
Interesting article. I still don't see what it has to do with Vegas. We will get the last drops of water out of the Colorado whether any flows down stream to California & Arizona or not.

California & Arizona need to stop farming a desert. That's where the Lion's share of the water is going in the first place. At the very least they need to be using drip irrigation instead of flood farming.... Stop feeding water into canals for Salmon and stop refilling the Salton Sea

Old 01-30-2019, 11:02 AM

15,849 posts, read 14,479,382 times
The problem is that these things are baked into the Colorado River Compact (or at least the water distribution that enables them.) Until that is changed, nothing else will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by equid0x View Post
Interesting article. I still don't see what it has to do with Vegas. We will get the last drops of water out of the Colorado whether any flows down stream to California & Arizona or not.

California & Arizona need to stop farming a desert. That's where the Lion's share of the water is going in the first place. At the very least they need to be using drip irrigation instead of flood farming.... Stop feeding water into canals for Salmon and stop refilling the Salton Sea

Old 02-05-2019, 02:22 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,636,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramboman55 View Post
I just read another big article in the RJ about the water shortage. They state what can and will be done to California, Arizona, Nevada. I have a great idea !!... STOP BUILDING !!!! Its crazy. The greedy politicians want all the money they can get from taxes etc from the new houses. THey don't care about a water shortage. STOP building !!!! 13,000 homes are going up in CADENCE. 13,000 !!! OMG. How about the southwestern building and the northwestern building. Build build build. To say nothing of how crazy the traffic will be on our roads in 5 yrs.
You realize if they stopped building, the price of homes will approach SF levels eventually right? That's exactly why there's such a housing crisis in CA -- horrible liberal policies that are anti-business, anti-development, and so many taxes and regulations that it's borderline not worthwhile to develop anything, so the inventory has continued to be outpaced by the population (even with people leaving CA). You could perhaps argue that there's a certain limit to how many people can actually live in the middle of a desert, but even then, I think technology can solve those problems. There's so much water on the planet, water is absolutely never a problem. It's the distribution of water that's an issue, or making it drinkable, etc. The actual water isn't the problem, which means technology can solve these issues even if it costs a lot of money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas