Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2018, 08:40 AM

469 posts, read 494,124 times

Advertisements

Degrees don’t really mean much here. They’ll be quick to devalue you even if you were making six figures at your previous job.

Congrats on the home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2018, 09:37 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,679,616 times
They'll be fine.

Old 08-25-2018, 10:45 AM

1,424 posts, read 1,280,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08grad View Post
Glad you have found happiness.

I wish we didn't live in a society where people with 2 degrees don't plan on having children.
You got that right. Soon we're gonna be just a world full of stoopid people.

Old 08-25-2018, 10:51 AM

265 posts, read 204,634 times
Not regency towers. It's a condo complex in a gated community somewhere around Flamingo. Hoa is under $200 a month. Don't have the big bucks, but I am not struggling either.

Old 08-25-2018, 10:52 AM

265 posts, read 204,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lluvia View Post
You got that right. Soon we're gonna be just a world full of stoopid people.
So thought process is educated people should have all the children, but we have too many uneducated people who work at Walmart who are having kids and thus the society will become more stupid?

Old 08-25-2018, 11:26 AM

927 posts, read 882,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasfan1985 View Post
So thought process is educated people should have all the children, but we have too many uneducated people who work at Walmart who are having kids and thus the society will become more stupid?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwZ0ZUy7P3E

Old 08-25-2018, 01:55 PM

2,536 posts, read 2,734,969 times
Nice post. I agree.

Old 08-25-2018, 08:20 PM

2,880 posts, read 2,805,055 times
Quote:
The minimum should be a pair of PhDs per couple. Anything else and we are really wasting too many resources. Even with this minimum requirement, there will still be plenty of duds that can work the lower paid/skilled jobs which in the near future will simply be to service robots/automated machines.

Old 08-26-2018, 07:58 PM

947 posts, read 787,434 times
Everything you stated seems true, with the exception of "harmless" homeless people. I walk a lot and am always on my toes looking to avoid trouble. IMHO don't be rude, but don't be overly friendly to strangers that chat you up on the street; don't stop; keep walking briskly if possible. Best thing is to try to avoid them altogether if possible. Avoid anyone that appears to be physically animated. Never pull out your cellphone to give a stranger the time (I don't carry a cellphone). Never give money to any stranger on the street, even if they look like a respectable solicitor.

Been here now over four years and bought a condo last year. Unfortunately, my view of the strip will be blocked by the new wing of Sunrise Hospital... but hopefully the new building will provide some shade to my west facing balcony. The bus service is also pretty good on express routes and really cheap for seniors with the $2.50 day fare. Hopefully we get light rail on MD parkway by 2025 between the airport and downtown and along W Charleston Ave.

Old 08-26-2018, 08:44 PM

947 posts, read 787,434 times
Quote:
Not regency towers. It's a condo complex in a gated community somewhere around Flamingo. Hoa is under $200 a month. Don't have the big bucks, but I am not struggling either.
Just be careful with the low condo fees. I've found a lot of condos in Las Vegas are underfunding their reserve fund. The reserve fund should be funded in compliance with the reserve study which estimates expenses possibly as far as 30 years into the future. I hope you carefully read over your reserve study before buying to know what you might be in for in the future.

The condo board here completely ignored their 2014 reserve study. Last year, I bought at a 25% discount to market knowing the complex was $1M in arrears for required maintenance (about $3K/unit). Last month a new board hit the owners with a huge increase in assessments to make up for the years of underfunding due to mismanagement and assessments that were too low. Nevada Real Estate division even used this complex as an example of how not to manage a condo complex, in their reserve study informational video. Not unexpectedly, many elderly residents that enjoyed those low assessments over the years, are not pleased. I guess they hoped they would die before the buildings began to collapse. Hopefully the board stands firm so this place is still around in ten years.

A friend that bought in a nice townhome development near me said the reserve fund at his complex was at zero when he bought last year! ZERO! Amazing. He said they are also now paying higher assessments to get the reserve fund back on track.

Last edited by mitchmiller9; 08-26-2018 at 09:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas