Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2018, 08:11 AM

38 posts, read 20,948 times

Advertisements

Hi!

So..some background before I fully begin...to help explain and in case anyone assumes the worst. And please . No nasty comments or judgment. I just want some advice and recommendations.

My husband and I moved here to vegas back in September 2017. He was working as an editor at a news station in texas for a short while and got an offer to transfer to their vegas location for a fulltime position. We were given only 2 weeks notice to move.
Anyways, we've had a lot of financial problems..I've got serious chronic health issues and medical debts from that.. and also repercussions from both of us losing our jobs back before texas..he was laid off a month after I'd lost mine due to my health conditions. We've moved a lot. We were forced to move and had to stay with family in ohio for a few months as he was looking for work out there and as I was recovering after a severe illness relapse.

When we moved to texas we didnt change his registration from ohio as we were sorta in limbo still and everything in Texas was sorta a test run situation and long story and we werent sure how long we'd be there.
So..upon moving to vegas my hubby was told to switch over registration etc here it was gonna cost over $500 to do so..which we didnt have and already exhausted all savings, funds etc to move here as his job paid for no relocation or housing etc.
Because of medical debt etc our credit was crap and was a big drama trying to get settled here. Ended up a month at a very crappy..iffy extended stay hotel and had to get help from family to even get our apartment as we had to pay loads of extra fees cos of the credit.
Then other drama occured upon moving here. And my health took a dive and other things. We were having lots of financial problems due to it all and barely able to get food etc. Or my medicine.
His job only pays entry level n severely underpaid for the company and position. But was fulltime at least and promise of advancement.
So.. registration thing fell off our radar.

Hubby ended up switching our insurance and renewed just the ohio one as again..we had doubts it was even gonna work out here and no idea how wed pay 500 for renewal n converting the car for the smog thing.
We only have one car and it's an old 2006 Mazda SUV.

so anyways. A few weeks ago he was running an errand for me and I'd been having a rough week healthwise and a bad morning . At a notoriously long red light he heard his phone buzz and picked it up just to see if everything was ok. Oops..a cop on a motorcycle drove up alongside and pulled him over for having his phone out.
Then noticed he had put of state registration and had just renewed it for the ohio one. Well..was only one we could afford and it was expiring and we had to have something til we could figure out what to do here.
Cant drive with no registration.
Then the cop gave him a ticket for our of state registration n put on ticket about him having just renewed the ohio one.
So..now theres a ticket to be paid n court date by October 15. No idea if this means hes gotta appear in court or just pay the fine or..
The ticket is vague and I dont knlw hiw tgis stuff works and we need to find a good traffic lawyer who can help.
This is his first driving offense too.
Need some recommendations on that..what to expect.. suggestions.

Now..hubby might be promoted to field photographer and they have him in training since lastweek. And it requires a clean driving record. Would something like this effect it? Or do they just look at stuff like DUI and reckless driving etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2018, 10:01 AM

1,073 posts, read 1,044,435 times
The government services tax (the big $$ portion of registration) on a 2006 Mazda Tribute is likely below or close to $100, not $500. Even if you have a different Mazda, based on the average MSRPs in 2006, the fees are next to nothing. Smog is $20-$43 for light duty gas vehicle. There are coupons on the internet for $18.

From NV DMV website Nevada Traffic Laws
"The fines are $50 for the first offense in seven years, $100 for the second and $250 for the third and subsequent offenses. Fines are subject to doubling if the offense occurs in a work zone. Courts may assess additional administrative fees.
The first offense is not treated as a moving violation. A second or subsequent offense carries 4 demerit points."

No good answer about a traffic lawyer. Maybe they know what the court accept as diversions or payment plans for low income offenders--I have no idea.

Old 08-18-2018, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVREDLEG View Post
The government services tax (the big $$ portion of registration) on a 2006 Mazda Tribute is likely below or close to $100, not $500. Even if you have a different Mazda, based on the average MSRPs in 2006, the fees are next to nothing. Smog is $20-$43 for light duty gas vehicle. There are coupons on the internet for $18.

From NV DMV website Nevada Traffic Laws
"The fines are $50 for the first offense in seven years, $100 for the second and $250 for the third and subsequent offenses. Fines are subject to doubling if the offense occurs in a work zone. Courts may assess additional administrative fees.
The first offense is not treated as a moving violation. A second or subsequent offense carries 4 demerit points."

No good answer about a traffic lawyer. Maybe they know what the court accept as diversions or payment plans for low income offenders--I have no idea.
My biggest concern isnt the caught with a phone at a light one but the driving with the out of state old registration..tho it was not expired.

Old 08-18-2018, 01:32 PM

1,245 posts, read 1,829,598 times
What State drivers license does your husband have?

Old 08-18-2018, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview6 View Post
What State drivers license does your husband have?
Still has his ohio license as well. As it's not expired yet.
Plates n registration are ohio. But weve been living in vegas since September 2017.

Is this criminal?

Old 08-18-2018, 04:12 PM

12,908 posts, read 28,007,241 times
You could have registered the car in Nevada for around $100. You will lose in court. You can go online and see how much the ticket is. I think the out of state is going to run you a lot. They take payment plans. The fine for out of state is $1,000. Yes $1,000

Old 08-18-2018, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
You could have registered the car in Nevada for around $100. You will lose in court. You can go online and see how much the ticket is. I think the out of state is going to run you a lot. They take payment plans. The fine for out of state is $1,000. Yes $1,000
So this isnt a criminal charge?

Where do we go to find out his exact ticket fine cost?? It sounds like hes got to go to court to find out.

Old 08-18-2018, 04:26 PM

12,908 posts, read 28,007,241 times
What court does he have the ticket from? Justice?

Old 08-18-2018, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
What court does he have the ticket from? Justice?
Yes.

Old 08-18-2018, 04:36 PM

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: