Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2018, 03:58 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,131,941 times

Advertisements

This storm was impressive.
I was sitting at Target on Flamingo and Maryland.
I was about to go to Canes. The wife messaged me asking it if was storming where I was.
I took a video of how calm it was and sent it to her. By the time it uploaded my car was shaking from the sudden wind.
I watched a shopping cart doing, probably, 25mph slam into a car, flip on it's side and continue sliding across the parking lot.
Then other carts began falling onto their sides. The wind was pushing them, on their side, like there were wheels under them.
Tree branches and garbage started flying everywhere. The tree by their dumpster broke in half. Lightning was insane.

I drove around a bit after it was over and power was out all over. The fruit loop didn't have power for several hours. The lights going in and out of the airport were out (jesus those are scary intersections without lights. People do not know how to drive. It's a 4 way stop, people!!!)
Yesterday they were still repairing mangled power poles and lines. I saw trees down at 5am on my way home last night.
It acted like a tornado.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2018, 04:33 PM

2,864 posts, read 4,541,600 times
Q: what did pahrump get?
A: to watch it on the news, as not a stinking thing happened over here. a few gusts of wind. that is all

Old 08-16-2018, 11:19 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,654,688 times
This may sound like a dumb question, but when it gets really windy, will metal outdoor furniture that's pretty heavy stay put? Or do you guys try to move your stuff? Or do you have to bolt things down or how does that work?

I know for my dad, when it's really windy at his house, he's had wooden chairs blow right into the pool. I would imagine if you had furniture blowing around, you'd risk some of it hitting a window or causing some real damage.

Old 08-16-2018, 11:33 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,150,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
This may sound like a dumb question, but when it gets really windy, will metal outdoor furniture that's pretty heavy stay put? Or do you guys try to move your stuff? Or do you have to bolt things down or how does that work?

I know for my dad, when it's really windy at his house, he's had wooden chairs blow right into the pool. I would imagine if you had furniture blowing around, you'd risk some of it hitting a window or causing some real damage.
It got up to 70 mph gusts recently. Figure it out.

Old 08-16-2018, 11:43 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,560,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
This storm was impressive....
It acted like a tornado.
That's what they refer to in meteorological terms as a "microburst" because it's a flat-line wind pushing straight down and out from the cloud.

If it were tornadic, there would have been rotation.

Old 08-17-2018, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
That's what they refer to in meteorological terms as a "microburst" because it's a flat-line wind pushing straight down and out from the cloud.

If it were tornadic, there would have been rotation.
The micro bursts we get here can be pretty destructive. I already knew what they were called. Friends of mine have had stucco and tile patio covers completely destroyed by them. So forgive him if he didn’t use the right term. He is not from here.

Old 08-17-2018, 01:17 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,772,730 times
Quote:

Cast iron furniture in our yard gets blown around. No different than when we lived in IA. Well, that's not really true. I've yet to sit through a tornado here.

Old 08-17-2018, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Cast iron furniture in our yard gets blown around. No different than when we lived in IA. Well, that's not really true. I've yet to sit through a tornado here.
It’s unlikely to happen. I can only recall one tornado in all my years of living here. That was in the very early nineties. It was a small one and caused no damage. More like a very large dust devil, which we do get here.

But it was scary when the National Weather Service issued a tornado warning. We are not prepared for that here.

Old 08-17-2018, 03:37 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,654,688 times
Huh, yeah we have this extremely heavy recycled steel table (from a Denver company I love) that we were thinking of making an outdoor piece but not in the sun, in a shaded area only (metal would get ridiculous hot I'm sure in the direct sun, and may be too hot even in the shade, I don't know), and it's hard to imagine it floating away even in heavy winds because it's just so heavy. But if it did, whew, it would cause some damage I'm sure. I guess if you notice heavy winds are coming, you just have to try to move that stuff into the living room or something along those lines and just wait it out. What a pain in the butt. Now I see why some people had built in stone chairs next to a fire pit, that actually makes a lot of sense.

Old 08-17-2018, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Huh, yeah we have this extremely heavy recycled steel table (from a Denver company I love) that we were thinking of making an outdoor piece but not in the sun, in a shaded area only (metal would get ridiculous hot I'm sure in the direct sun, and may be too hot even in the shade, I don't know), and it's hard to imagine it floating away even in heavy winds because it's just so heavy. But if it did, whew, it would cause some damage I'm sure. I guess if you notice heavy winds are coming, you just have to try to move that stuff into the living room or something along those lines and just wait it out. What a pain in the butt. Now I see why some people had built in stone chairs next to a fire pit, that actually makes a lot of sense.
Get cushions and make sure they have ties on them. Otherwise you will have the form of that bench branded on your ass.

The ties are important because you don’t want your cushion that you just paid for and carefully picked out blowing down the street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas