Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2018, 06:36 PM

5,404 posts, read 16,020,561 times

Advertisements

You are 20 years old. Why does ANYONE have to help you get a job? Go out and get one! You are an adult.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2018, 07:23 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,157,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
You are 20 years old. Why does ANYONE have to help you get a job? Go out and get one! You are an adult.
Ease up, man. Sounds like OP isn’t well, not parented or nurtured correctly, and desperate. Your post came off very, very harsh. Maybe you meant it as empowering, but dang.

Old 08-03-2018, 08:51 PM

42,876 posts, read 26,418,164 times
Quote:
She's on SSI, that would indicate that she has serious disabilities, we don't know the details, and I don't think she asked you or anyone else to help her get a job, did she?

Old 08-04-2018, 07:33 AM

14 posts, read 13,902 times
Quote:
I agree 100%

Old 08-04-2018, 07:39 AM

14 posts, read 13,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
She's on SSI, that would indicate that she has serious disabilities, we don't know the details, and I don't think she asked you or anyone else to help her get a job, did she?
Read her post carefully and analyze to the best of your ability. She is very intelligent and figures things out and does research. She writes very well and is internet literate. She wants to get a job her mom does not want her to get a job. Mommy controls money from the whatever. She also wants to go to college. She can do things but people around her tell her she can't and you are one of them. Congratulations on lowering her self esteem even further.
Now people who suggest she try things on her own believe she can.

Old 08-04-2018, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anabelle234 View Post
Read her post carefully and analyze to the best of your ability. She is very intelligent and figures things out and does research. She writes very well and is internet literate. She wants to get a job her mom does not want her to get a job. Mommy controls money from the whatever. She also wants to go to college. She can do things but people around her tell her she can't and you are one of them. Congratulations on lowering her self esteem even further.
I can read quite well thank you. What you are missing is that receiving SSI does not mean that you aren't intelligent or can't figure things out. It means you have a significant mental or physical disability. A friend has a 27 year old son with schizoaffective disorder. Their son lives with them and receives SSI, he's intelligent and figures things out really well until his meds quit working or he has a really bad episode and he decides to run away from his parents home and roam around skid row or he reports that his parents just poisoned him. The cops know call the parents when he shows up The parents have hired a full time caregiver who accompanies him everywhere but he still finds ways to escape. It's unlikely that he will ever be gainfully employed.

And next time you decide that someone who is very intelligent and really 'figures things out" can just run out and get a groovy barista job at Starbucks or flip burgers at McDonald's think about Stephen Hawking

You don't know what you don't know

Old 08-05-2018, 11:36 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,085,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anabelle234 View Post
There is a reason why mommy gets the money and has control. We don't know why.

We do know it is very difficult to get SSI. It takes years lots of times and there are very strict income guidelines. Earn a buck too much and it all goes away. And that buck can't make up the difference. It's probably possible for this person to get a job that would pay as much money per month as SSI. SSI is living significantly below poverty level. But disabled people many times have significant medical needs and they can NEVER make enough money to replace their SSI and Medicaid.

I feel sorry for this young woman who feels she is being abused. She wants to get out and live like a normal young adult. I agree with you she writes pretty well and can certainly communicate her desires clearly. But she lives in a Catch-22 situation. As do many disabled people.

My SO has a high functioning son who is a young adult just like this young woman. He is in the same situation. He is capable of working. He wants to work and he needs purpose and accomplishment in his life. He just plain NEEDS to do something with his life. But if he works, he loses his medical. He can't afford to pay his own medical and neither can the rest of us. He wants to be independent and live like a normal young adult but he can't. One hospitalization could leave him owing more than he could pay in his lifetime.

So far there are no good alternatives for the many people who are in this position. It's all about the healthcare.

Old 08-05-2018, 12:39 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,157,186 times
I posted a link upthread about the new homeless park they just opened. It’s safe. Patrolled, has bathrooms, showers, food, and access to social service workers. It is however, outdoor. I’m assuming OP already lives in Las Vegas and understands the heat right now.

Old 08-05-2018, 08:58 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,690,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
I posted a link upthread about the new homeless park they just opened. It’s safe. Patrolled, has bathrooms, showers, food, and access to social service workers. It is however, outdoor. I’m assuming OP already lives in Las Vegas and understands the heat right now.
This really seems like a worthwhile project.

Old 08-06-2018, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
That's a good idea, are they doing it to get them to move out of the flood tunnels?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: