Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2018, 05:54 AM

628 posts, read 404,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anabelle234 View Post
Vegas is very walkable. It has very good bus system , very fast and 24hr and safe and for $5 you get 24 hr access to all and it goes almost anywhere and walking is possible as well unless is summer then most people do it at night or very early morning. Cabs are also plentiful you can call or get one at any hotel.
If you live in a cluster of houses in some hoa section in the middle of nowhere yes you need a car but otherwise is walkable at all hours. Many stores are open 24hr as well.
I recommend some of you to actually use the Vegas buses a bit before jumping to these conclusions.
Yes.Yes.Yes. Thank you! Well said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2018, 07:23 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,710,977 times
I am not sure I have too much to add, but my friend moved from Oregon to Phoenix and he loves it. For me, I'd prefer Vegas because it's a zero income tax state with very similar weather and more entertainment options. People don't come all over the world to go to Phoenix, but they do Vegas, and there's a reason for that. I can't speak to the job market, though, I assume Phoenix is more diverse than Las Vegas but I'm not quoting any statistics on that, just a general impression from what people say.

As for your budget and whatnot, we are also looking for a modern house. It will depend on what size you want or need, but a few years ago or even maybe as recently as a year ago, I had this idea that I'd probably find something I'd want for $800,000 to $1 million. That... is not reality. Most of the houses that are $800K look a lot like my $600K house in Portland, yet supposedly (?) the median house price in Portland is $428K and it's $290K in Vegas. All I can guess based on years of Zillow searching, and more lately than in the past, is there are two markets in Vegas, one has a ton of cheap houses that bring down the average, and the other are luxury houses in nice areas where you're paying a premium for the location, the build quality, and the outdoor amenities a lot of the time.

A few days ago I found a house for $1.25M that was perfect, but that is the cheapest I have seen that was modern and fit our checklist, at least, most of the time it's more like $1.5M or so. The inventory of modern homes is extremely small on the secondary market, so it's a lot of new construction. The builders are building in a hot market and commanding premium prices, so Blue Heron for instance builds modern and they start at $1.5M -- that doesn't include the backyard, that's on you to build that. So you're probably looking at $1.75M or so all in, maybe more with finishes and everything.

I can think of a few more modern options with much smaller floor plans that you could make work though in your budget range. Specifically check out Terra Luna in Summerlin, they are more reasonably priced and I think Pardee is a great builder. I also know Pardee sold a Plan 3 for just under $1.1M in Nova Ridge, but again, that's the cost to you for the lot, the build, and the finishes. That wouldn't include the outdoor space at all, which you build separately, so that person probably puts another $100K minimum into their backyard and I doubt that would include a pool. Usually people are saying $150-200K for a nice outdoor build, and I've heard that number from a bunch of people. If you went down to Plan 1 or 2, though, could you possibly make it work for less? Yeah, I think so.

Pardee is one of the few builders I can think of that's doing modern builds at also more reasonable prices, because Blue Heron is way out of that budget, but Terra Luna may be a really good fit. That's a good area, the homes look nice, so just an idea for you.

Old 07-21-2018, 10:17 AM

1,073 posts, read 1,056,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
I am not sure I have too much to add,
You mean you are sure you have much to add. You seldom leave us short on words.

Old 07-21-2018, 12:26 PM

1,286 posts, read 1,506,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVREDLEG View Post
You mean you are sure you have much to add. You seldom leave us short on words.
Lol, agreed. Then writes a 5 paragraph post.

Old 07-21-2018, 01:33 PM

628 posts, read 404,507 times
Quote:
I am not sure I have too much to add, but my friend moved from Oregon to Phoenix and he loves it. For me, I'd prefer Vegas because it's a zero income tax state with very similar weather and more entertainment options. People don't come all over the world to go to Phoenix, but they do Vegas, and there's a reason for that. I can't speak to the job market, though, I assume Phoenix is more diverse than Las Vegas but I'm not quoting any statistics on that, just a general impression from what people say.

As for your budget and whatnot, we are also looking for a modern house. It will depend on what size you want or need, but a few years ago or even maybe as recently as a year ago, I had this idea that I'd probably find something I'd want for $800,000 to $1 million. That... is not reality. Most of the houses that are $800K look a lot like my $600K house in Portland, yet supposedly (?) the median house price in Portland is $428K and it's $290K in Vegas. All I can guess based on years of Zillow searching, and more lately than in the past, is there are two markets in Vegas, one has a ton of cheap houses that bring down the average, and the other are luxury houses in nice areas where you're paying a premium for the location, the build quality, and the outdoor amenities a lot of the time.

A few days ago I found a house for $1.25M that was perfect, but that is the cheapest I have seen that was modern and fit our checklist, at least, most of the time it's more like $1.5M or so. The inventory of modern homes is extremely small on the secondary market, so it's a lot of new construction. The builders are building in a hot market and commanding premium prices, so Blue Heron for instance builds modern and they start at $1.5M -- that doesn't include the backyard, that's on you to build that. So you're probably looking at $1.75M or so all in, maybe more with finishes and everything.

I can think of a few more modern options with much smaller floor plans that you could make work though in your budget range. Specifically check out Terra Luna in Summerlin, they are more reasonably priced and I think Pardee is a great builder. I also know Pardee sold a Plan 3 for just under $1.1M in Nova Ridge, but again, that's the cost to you for the lot, the build, and the finishes. That wouldn't include the outdoor space at all, which you build separately, so that person probably puts another $100K minimum into their backyard and I doubt that would include a pool. Usually people are saying $150-200K for a nice outdoor build, and I've heard that number from a bunch of people. If you went down to Plan 1 or 2, though, could you possibly make it work for less? Yeah, I think so.

Pardee is one of the few builders I can think of that's doing modern builds at also more reasonable prices, because Blue Heron is way out of that budget, but Terra Luna may be a really good fit. That's a good area, the homes look nice, so just an idea for you.
The epitome of maximum verbosity.

Old 07-21-2018, 07:45 PM

3,945 posts, read 6,796,737 times
Quote:

I have to disagree with your statement that people don't travel from all over the world to go to Phoenix. Technically, people from all over the globe fly into Phoenix to take a trip to the big hole up north. (You may have heard of it?) Vegas has the strip that attracts people and, outside of Dubai, not sure there is anyplace like it. However, Vegas is much more than those six or so miles. To the OP, both cities are unique in their own respects. If you are leaning more towards entertainment then Vegas is your place but if you need a variety of employment options I say it's Phoenix.

Old 07-22-2018, 01:54 AM

39 posts, read 30,620 times
If his timeline is a little further out, then it looks like pardee is also going to be building in stonebridge eventually. Also, since he's interested in mountains, as you move westward the elevations increase and the terrain becomes more mountainous.

Quote:
Pardee is one of the few builders I can think of that's doing modern builds at also more reasonable prices, because Blue Heron is way out of that budget, but Terra Luna may be a really good fit.

Old 07-22-2018, 07:19 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,250,665 times
In the words of my late, beloved uncle, “ Vegas has a heartbeat, all its own. Like Paris and New York City. “

He wasn’t lying. This town will eat you, or love you. Phoenix is just another hot desert town. With prettier cactus, and a better job market. They get twice the rain Vegas gets. LA and Phoenix are our unofficial sister cities.

Old 07-22-2018, 09:03 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,710,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
I have to disagree with your statement that people don't travel from all over the world to go to Phoenix. Technically, people from all over the globe fly into Phoenix to take a trip to the big hole up north. (You may have heard of it?) Vegas has the strip that attracts people and, outside of Dubai, not sure there is anyplace like it. However, Vegas is much more than those six or so miles. To the OP, both cities are unique in their own respects. If you are leaning more towards entertainment then Vegas is your place but if you need a variety of employment options I say it's Phoenix.
I'll ignore the other snarky comments above, as I think I actually did add more of value than your posts, frankly, and it wasn't particularly close.

As for your assessment, I agree, that was my general impression, Phoenix is better for employment and Vegas for entertainment. But that may depend on whether you have a job lined up or whether you work from home or any number of other factors.

I'd still choose Phoenix over almost any other American city, so I wasn't trying to diss it by any means. I'm sure I'd be happy there too, but it seems bigger with more sprawl and not quite the entertainment city I want. Great sports, though, too.

I'm interested in any of the higher budget Pardee offerings, so curious to see what they do next. I will probably miss out on Axis, unfortunately.

PS: It is an Internet forum, if you can't read a few paragraph post, maybe texting is more to your liking. Or I could use smaller words perhaps, would that help?

Last edited by JonathanLB; 07-22-2018 at 09:12 AM..

Old 07-22-2018, 09:51 AM

1,073 posts, read 1,056,868 times
Quote:
I'll ignore the other snarky comments above, as I think I actually did add more of value than your posts, frankly.

PS: It is an Internet forum, if you can't read a few paragraph post, maybe texting is more to your liking. Or I could use smaller words perhaps, would that help?
Do you know the meaning of "ignore"? Your "PS" suggests otherwise.

You turn almost every thread into a story about yourself no matter what the subject or context of the thread. Your posts are long, but entertaining. So what if I think it is funny and post my observation? I mean it was you who said something like "I don't have much to add" before ripping off another page of the same lengthy narrative staining dozens of threads here--that is funny stuff.

It would be more considerate for me to simply laugh and keep my thoughts to myself--I am sorry for my lack of control. I wish you the best on the pursuit of your dream and look forward to welcoming you when you make the move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: