Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2018, 11:09 AM

927 posts, read 882,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Garbage. The post is utter garbage. Virtually no difference between LV and Dallas. There are exceptionally good schools in Dallas because Dallas promotes a limited number of schools with high admission standards. LV does not.

But the regular schools in the two cities are not significantly different. Coronado would be perfectly acceptable in nice Dallas.

And please close the door behind you. You will not be missed.
What data are you using to make these statements? The NEAP results which compare Dallas ISD vs CCSD?

There's no less than 25 comprehensive high schools in the Dallas-Fort Worth metro area that graduate a higher percentage of students with a passing AP score than Coronado. All of these schools have a lower percentage of free or reduced price lunch students than Coronado.

Vegas has nothing comparable to Highland Park, or the dozens of schools in Denton/Collin counties (Plano, Frisco, Lewisville, Allen, etc.).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2018, 11:44 AM

18,058 posts, read 10,339,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08grad View Post
What data are you using to make these statements? The NEAP results which compare Dallas ISD vs CCSD?

There's no less than 25 comprehensive high schools in the Dallas-Fort Worth metro area that graduate a higher percentage of students with a passing AP score than Coronado. All of these schools have a lower percentage of free or reduced price lunch students than Coronado.

Vegas has nothing comparable to Highland Park, or the dozens of schools in Denton/Collin counties (Plano, Frisco, Lewisville, Allen, etc.).
There are 180 or so high schools in DFW. So if your data is correct Coronado would be at about the 85th percentile. That would appear to be reasonably good..

Old 04-15-2018, 01:55 PM

927 posts, read 882,747 times
Quote:
There are 180 or so high schools in DFW. So if your data is correct Coronado would be at about the 85th percentile. That would appear to be reasonably good..
Sure. Coronado is a "B" school when compared to other metro areas.

My issue is that we have no "B+" or higher options (unless you win the lottery), while Dallas has several "A+" options. Highland Park ISD, Carroll ISD, Coppell ISD, Allen ISD, Plano ISD, Frisco ISD, Proper ISD, and Lovejoy ISD, all rank in the top 1% of the nation.

The top 50 colleges in the country all have students who score in the top 5% of the country on standardized tests. So our best school being outside the top 10% is a big red flag. We have lost businesses and high paying jobs as a result of this, because employees didn't want to put their children in the schools here.

Just a note, 25 was an inequality as indicated by the wording "at least". I looked up rankings on Niche and Coronado would rank 60th out of 244 public high schools in the DFW metro area (75th percentile).

Old 04-15-2018, 02:34 PM

2,611 posts, read 2,879,965 times
If you think NJ or NY is ugly, Dallas and Houston will be even worse.

Old 04-15-2018, 10:15 PM

3,475 posts, read 3,276,722 times
Born and raised Texan. Lived in Vegas three years.

Lived in San Antonio, Houston, Dallas and Austin.

From my knowledge.

Houston is the 4th largest city in the United States. It's known for being international but it's a mess. They're still recovering from the largest hurricane to hit the US. My old neighborhood is still under water my Dad said and I just visited there this last week. Not great planning there for developments.

Dallas is known for being conservative. Just ask a Dallas socialite. The wealthy elite in both cities are conservatives. They hold the conventions there sometimes. Really it's known as Dallas/Fort Worth. It's still a big metro so you're going to get a range of it all.

Texas has the better education. The better economy during recessions. Even better dating scene for you. With the exception of Austin the State is 'big red.' It's also known as northern Mexico but it has the best Tex-Mex or mexican food. I'm from Texas so I'm bias but I haven't found equal or better anywhere else and that's not for lack of trying.

Las Vegas has the better Latin grocery stores and food prices found there though. Henderson is known as more conservative, with better schools and also safer. But Las Vegas is considered a far eastern suburb of Southern California where they have their own immigrant issues. It's not an issue for me since I grew up with it so I don't really notice the difference between the three immigrant populations. With the exception of Houston's international community.

Move to Dallas/Fort Worth. Don't move to Houston unless you live outside of it where it's more red.

Old 04-15-2018, 10:39 PM

3,475 posts, read 3,276,722 times
The other thing I should mention is when hurricane Katrina hit Louisiana they moved all those poor people to Houston and then the crime went up. Then the recent hurricane hit Houston, so I'm wondering where they went or if they stayed and still have a problem.

Old 04-16-2018, 03:19 PM

8,144 posts, read 8,341,971 times
I think Dallas is very livable and much less humid than Houston. Dallas doesn’t have the drainage issues of Houston. Dallas has some outstanding school districts and a very large young to middle age group of working professionals. Better quality housing stock than Las Vegas.

I love Las Vegas weather and the proximity to mountains, California, Flagstaff and phoenix. Its a great place for a retiree.

I raised my kids in Dallas. In the burbs. The City of Dallas has more cultural opportunities for kids and not nearly the amounts of homeless. Dallas and the great metro area feel more like real places to grow up. The variety of homes and people in so many white collar professions more fully reflect a real, non-tourist related, environment.

I would choose Dallas over Las Vegas for your situation.

Old 04-18-2018, 10:49 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,732,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
You said “lawful”. Add the illegals and it’s not even close. I can see Vegas becoming a sanctuary city
Yeah it isnt close. Dallas and Houston still have way, way more Mexican (and pretty much every other immigrant group minus Filipinos) residents both of the legal and illegal variety. Below are the estimates by county for Mexican population:

Harris County: 237,000-Total Population: 4.5 Million-Percentage of County that is Illegal Mexican: 5.3%
Dallas County: 181,000-Total Population: 2.5 Million-Percentage of County that is Illegal Mexican: 7.2%
Clark County: 78,000-Total Population: 2.1 Million-Percentage of County that is Illegal Mexican: 3.7%

Its hard to tell if you think its not even close because Vegas would have more illegal immigrants, but if that was your point, youre dead wrong. Houston and Dallas draw many more immigrants (both legally and illegally) period. Its not up for debate.

https://www.migrationpolicy.org/prog...ation-profiles

Old 04-18-2018, 01:25 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,339,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys fan in Houston View Post
Yeah it isnt close. Dallas and Houston still have way, way more Mexican (and pretty much every other immigrant group minus Filipinos) residents both of the legal and illegal variety. Below are the estimates by county for Mexican population:

Harris County: 237,000-Total Population: 4.5 Million-Percentage of County that is Illegal Mexican: 5.3%
Dallas County: 181,000-Total Population: 2.5 Million-Percentage of County that is Illegal Mexican: 7.2%
Clark County: 78,000-Total Population: 2.1 Million-Percentage of County that is Illegal Mexican: 3.7%

Its hard to tell if you think its not even close because Vegas would have more illegal immigrants, but if that was your point, youre dead wrong. Houston and Dallas draw many more immigrants (both legally and illegally) period. Its not up for debate.

https://www.migrationpolicy.org/prog...ation-profiles
Nope. You are incorrect. Las Vegas is second to Houston but well ahead of Dallas. This is for illegals not Mexicans.

Nationally, the percentage of undocumented immigrants compared to the total population is about 3.5 percent, the report said. In the Las Vegas area, that number is 8 percent, which is the second highest among major metropolitan areas behind only the Houston area.
Pew 2017

You have to be careful with Las Vegas statistics.
Confusion between city and metro are common.

Last edited by lvmensch; 04-18-2018 at 01:35 PM..

Old 04-18-2018, 01:51 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,732,359 times
Quote:
Nope. You are incorrect. Las Vegas is second to Houston but well ahead of Dallas. This is for illegals not Mexicans.

Nationally, the percentage of undocumented immigrants compared to the total population is about 3.5 percent, the report said. In the Las Vegas area, that number is 8 percent, which is the second highest among major metropolitan areas behind only the Houston area.
Pew 2017

You have to be careful with Las Vegas statistics.
Confusion between city and metro are common.
City statistics are worthless. Only the metro areas are best. Las Vegas metro area is easy because its only Clark County.

And am I incorrect? Im not sure that I am. I posted a link to support what I was saying. It shows Clark County has having 106,000 illegal resident. That would make 5.04% of Clark County as being illegal residents.

https://www.migrationpolicy.org/data...n/county/32003

If you have data that is different post a detailed link.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: