Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 06:34 PM

30 posts, read 21,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Really? What exit?
Basking Ridge. Off I78 and I287.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2018, 07:25 PM

12,908 posts, read 28,052,450 times
Desert Shores is a good area??

Old 01-12-2018, 09:39 AM

2,928 posts, read 3,564,206 times
@airics

The properties by the man made lakes are nice.

Old 01-12-2018, 09:56 AM

2,951 posts, read 2,529,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by techaz View Post
I've been in LV for a little less than a year, but will be moving to Phoenix this year. Reasons being that the housing to purchase is getting pretty expensive for what you get (in my price range). There are mid 200's homes, but for a good school district you cannot find much out there with any kind of yard. Much better for buyers in the Phoenix metro area as far as lot sizing goes (and pools).

One thing I can't wrap my head around is how small the lots are here, and the 1/4 driveways that seem so prevalent.

Overall I like Vegas, if I didn't want a yard or pool or privacy then I wouldn't mind staying.....it's just that Phoenix is a much better area for families wanting more bang for your buck in the 230-275k housing range.
We don't have the land to spread out compared to Phoenix. Restricted due to the bowl Las Vegas is surrounded by mountains.

You'll get hotter weather longer in Phoenix. And Valley fever. Know 2 people who have died from Valley Fever. It's a fungus that is in the soil there and spread when you get sandstorms.
We have a different type of soil here so we don't have it.

Old 01-12-2018, 10:39 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,329,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foundapeanut View Post
We don't have the land to spread out compared to Phoenix. Restricted due to the bowl Las Vegas is surrounded by mountains.

You'll get hotter weather longer in Phoenix. And Valley fever. Know 2 people who have died from Valley Fever. It's a fungus that is in the soil there and spread when you get sandstorms.
We have a different type of soil here so we don't have it.
There are no sandstorms in Phoenix, because there is no sand. There are dust storms, but they don't happen too frequently. The occasionally happen in Las Vegas, too.

You'll also have warmer winters in Phoenix. Sunny and 77 in Phoenix for Saturday, high of only 65 in Las Vegas, for example.

Valley fever is most prevalent in Arizona and California, but it does exist in southern Nevada. 151 cases were reported in 2016 according to the CDC.

Old 01-12-2018, 12:34 PM

12,908 posts, read 28,052,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrhazy View Post
@airics

The properties by the man made lakes are nice.
I was being sarcastic as the lakes area is very nice, as the area around it (Alta), not so nice

Old 01-12-2018, 05:36 PM

699 posts, read 2,223,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyCitiData View Post
Good point regarding the plane flying patterns but how do one find out? Is there a map showing the patterns anywhere or you just have to sit there for a few hours to see if a plane flies overhead?
Planes fly into the wind, so keep that in mind.

When they take off to the North, they swing left or right over the Palazzo/Wynn. When they land from the north, you'll really hear it at HRH and south to Tropicana Road.

When they take off east, you'll hear it on that line toward Henderson, and for the west take offs, on that line that's pretty much over Russell Road & the 215.

Also there's jet traffic around Nellis. I lived near the corner of Lone Mountain and Camino al Norte. I cannot tell you how many times I had to say on the phone, "hold on, there's a jet"... It got quite annoying. F-18's, or whatever they're flying these days aren't quiet.

North Las Vegas airport and Henderson are small craft.

Old 01-13-2018, 10:16 AM

2,951 posts, read 2,529,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
There are no sandstorms in Phoenix, because there is no sand. There are dust storms, but they don't happen too frequently. The occasionally happen in Las Vegas, too.

Valley fever is most prevalent in Arizona and California, but it does exist in southern Nevada. 151 cases were reported in 2016 according to the CDC.
OK dust storms. Either way that is where the valley fever fungus lives. I have lived in Vegas 18 years and I remember one. But it was nothing like what my friends in Phoenix experiences. She laughed at the idea they don't happen too frequently. Depends on your definition of frequent is.

Well I guess the 151 cases were curable or you would of posted the deaths. By looking at the maps you posted more serious in AZ than NV. Both I knew ocurred in AZ.

So where do you live Phoenix or Las Vegas?

Old 01-13-2018, 01:20 PM

30 posts, read 21,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justthe2ofus View Post
Planes fly into the wind, so keep that in mind.

When they take off to the North, they swing left or right over the Palazzo/Wynn. When they land from the north, you'll really hear it at HRH and south to Tropicana Road.

When they take off east, you'll hear it on that line toward Henderson, and for the west take offs, on that line that's pretty much over Russell Road & the 215.

Also there's jet traffic around Nellis. I lived near the corner of Lone Mountain and Camino al Norte. I cannot tell you how many times I had to say on the phone, "hold on, there's a jet"... It got quite annoying. F-18's, or whatever they're flying these days aren't quiet.

North Las Vegas airport and Henderson are small craft.
Thanks for that info. Fighter jets sounds kind of cool but I guess one will get used to that too over time and it's just another noise.

Old 01-14-2018, 09:10 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,329,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foundapeanut View Post
OK dust storms. Either way that is where the valley fever fungus lives. I have lived in Vegas 18 years and I remember one. But it was nothing like what my friends in Phoenix experiences. She laughed at the idea they don't happen too frequently. Depends on your definition of frequent is.

Well I guess the 151 cases were curable or you would of posted the deaths. By looking at the maps you posted more serious in AZ than NV. Both I knew ocurred in AZ.

So where do you live Phoenix or Las Vegas?
I'm currently in Phoenix, and I'm in Vegas very often. Last year I don't think Phoenix had one dust storm. Previous years it's maybe one or two. Not very frequent. The media likes to make a huge deal about them, much in the same way they try to scare the public about a lot of things. They only last a few minutes, look far scarier than they are, and really are not a big deal. I seem to remember a dust storm in Las Vegas in 2016. That's the most recent one I recall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas