Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2017, 04:36 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,420,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly_me View Post
Spring Valley. One is coming today we shall see what he says. Cant recall if I said above but now we know not water heater but in slab.
There is a well known problem with in slab failures in this area. Basically what you do is use audio devices to find the site of the leak and then cut the slab to access it. Then you find out about the real problem...is it simply a local leak or is it electrogalvanic corrosion. The latter basically requires that the house be re-plumbed at a cost of between $4,000 and $6,000. You tell by looking at the copper pipe...if it is the corrosion you will find the pipe near the leak thin and eaten away.
If it is not copper pipe forget about all that...it is just a leak.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2017, 05:11 PM

1,047 posts, read 731,849 times
Default thank u

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
There is a well known problem with in slab failures in this area. Basically what you do is use audio devices to find the site of the leak and then cut the slab to access it. Then you find out about the real problem...is it simply a local leak or is it electrogalvanic corrosion. The latter basically requires that the house be re-plumbed at a cost of between $4,000 and $6,000. You tell by looking at the copper pipe...if it is the corrosion you will find the pipe near the leak thin and eaten away.
Thank you so much. Quite insightful.
We are getting a free estimate today - before or at 5PM. Would he tell us which of the two above it is in a free estimate.....do you think? New owners. Not experienced w this.

This is somebody randomly from net.
Again, if anybody trust a plumber and has had real leaks fixed not water heater removed/installed which we can do, kindly let me know. I am going to try and do that search the other guy mentioned .....Hope I can figure it out.

Old 12-27-2017, 05:14 PM

Default question

Quote:
May I please know the name of the audio device and where to purchase? My roommate may try to do on his own if this plumber doesn't seem reasonable. We will buy audio device. Thank you.

Old 12-27-2017, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly_me View Post
May I please know the name of the audio device and where to purchase? My roommate may try to do on his own if this plumber doesn't seem reasonable. We will buy audio device. Thank you.
They are plumbing equipment. In fact a stethoscope would likely work...as long as you know what to listen for. So it is generally a plumber service.

The obvious one is American Leak Detection who has been featuring the capability for decades. But in fact virtually all the good local plumbers do it. Larkin for instance. American Leak is competent but somewhat expensive and the lady who runs their office is an almost famous witch.

They also have gadgetry to locate pipes and such. Another thing that will also work is thermal viewers. If it is the hot water you can easily see it with any of the good thermal viewers. The heat comes to a hot spot at the leak and then fans out.

Old 12-27-2017, 07:38 PM

Default help

Quote:
They are plumbing equipment. In fact a stethoscope would likely work...as long as you know what to listen for. So it is generally a plumber service.

The obvious one is American Leak Detection who has been featuring the capability for decades. But in fact virtually all the good local plumbers do it. Larkin for instance. American Leak is competent but somewhat expensive and the lady who runs their office is an almost famous witch.

They also have gadgetry to locate pipes and such. Another thing that will also work is thermal viewers. If it is the hot water you can easily see it with any of the good thermal viewers. The heat comes to a hot spot at the leak and then fans out.
They are here now and no audio or thermal viewer. Just magically says it was T'd and mentions a variety of very high prices for a and b up to 5800.00

I asked where the thermal viewer was (thanks) but he said Ive been doing this for 16 years (possible tweaker) and dont need all that but you can call for leak detection.

Old 12-27-2017, 10:34 PM

7,131 posts, read 11,876,789 times
Hmmmm......how did he pinpoint where the leak is? And how did YOU determine it's leaking in the slab itself?

Old 12-27-2017, 10:40 PM

Roomie did alot of test to sadly determine it wasn't a simple water heater leak so only thing left I guess was slab leak. Visually it is in the wall and concrete under the condo. I just figured the guy would come w some equipment for the consultation. His reviews are bad so I want to go w companies that have hundreds more reviews -- 5 star and he says this guy is nice and jerks write reviews. Just bc he doesnt doesnt mean jerks write reviews. I disagree. It is very common now.

Old 12-28-2017, 12:33 AM

Default better reply to ur question

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Hmmmm......how did he pinpoint where the leak is? And how did YOU determine it's leaking in the slab itself?
The concrete is wet under the condo. We ripped up carpeting. This is why we are accessing it is there.
Too bad not a house. Roomie did few test. Now after looking over this written bid he realizes the guy wants to destroy the condo by going in wall and ceiling to cap it off. But it really needs someone that will go in the concrete floor as it leaves less destruction. We are are going to get more estimates. I am glad I got roomie to talk to my friend who owns a lot of property and he was also turned off the guy had some other guys call us so late who wanted to mediate between us and insurance company. I think that insulted roomate.

Old 12-28-2017, 08:10 AM

7,131 posts, read 11,876,789 times
Capping the slab line and then repiping through the walls w/PEX might be the best option for you. Copper in the slab is supposed to be sleeved - if it wasn't, odds of pinholes go up dramatically - and at this point, it's going to be difficult to KNOW if it was sleeved or not. Either way - normally, you don't have pinholes unless there are other issues - and that could simply be the first of many more to come. Repiping it properly w/PEX will likely be a LOT less disruptive (and expensive) in the long run. 10-20 years ago, I'd not have suggested it - but having several friends in the trades that are "old-school" plumbers, even they have come around to it.

Old 12-28-2017, 10:09 AM

OP be careful. If it is in or beneath the slab it is an HOA problem. In standard condo ownership you only own to the paint on the wall. Anything behind the paint or below the rug is part of the condo common property.
There can be variants but on this they are rare.
Does not mean you are free and clear. The condo rules may provide charge back of the cost for repairs to a system which serves a limited number of units.
Under any circumstances don't do anything without involving the HOA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: