Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2017, 10:55 PM

23,317 posts, read 29,186,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
You know how many speeding tickets I've had in my entire life? One. Fifteen years ago on Eastern when I found myself driving like the morons who come here from out of state and can't resist our open, level, and well paved streets.

You all are taking out pedestrians daily, causing fender benders, and deserve every ticket you get. I hate cops, but if that is what is takes to slow you people down, so be it. And EA, don't give me any bs, because I know how many accidents you've had.

Happy Thanksgiving and slow your roll. Peace!
How many other cities in the country, allow 45MPH speed limits on their major streets? And, you know Las Vegans, when they see 45MPH, they go 55-60MPH!

Sympathy, where art thou?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2017, 12:55 AM

779 posts, read 475,438 times
The problem(s) are speed limits that are too low for *most* areas, distracted driving, and excessively slow/fast drivers. Ticket the idiots.

Old 11-24-2017, 03:30 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,170,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhuff80 View Post
The problem(s) are speed limits that are too low for *most* areas, distracted driving, and excessively slow/fast drivers. Ticket the idiots.
No. They are not too low. Ann Road is 45, Boulder Highway is 50. If you need to go faster than that, get on the fricken freeway.

Old 11-24-2017, 06:59 AM

23,317 posts, read 29,186,172 times
The speed limits too high, particularly for the sake of the pedestrians crossing streets outside crosswalks.

Yes, I expect it, someone will post: Well, they shouldn't be crossing outside a crosswalk

And, yes, how many pedestrians are run over IN crosswalks! Of the 4 crosswalks in my neighborhood, I would never, ever use them, particularly at night!

Tucson: Nighttime speed limits of 30MPH! That would be a hard one to swallow for our speed demon drivers in this city!

Old 11-24-2017, 11:06 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,188,868 times
i like how people speed up and pass you weaving in and out and in again just to brake suddenly at the red, which was red before they started to overtake you. genius. wear out your breaks. waste gas. increase the heart rate. smile smugly at the red. and no school taught them to do this. it's like a whirlpool - they just circle on down into the rathole.

Old 11-24-2017, 02:56 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,144,258 times
Speed limits are way too low. EVERY study ever done proves it.

Old 11-24-2017, 03:56 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,170,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
Speed limits are way too low. EVERY study ever done proves it.
Wrong. I can find you fifteen studies to contradict your version, but I'll let my accident rate vs. yours speak for itself. My last one was 26 years ago when I got rear-ended stopping for a puppy in the street. Also, another pedestrian was taken out last night.

Old 11-24-2017, 05:49 PM
EA

"According to a study just completed by the National Motorists Association Foundation (NMAF), higher speed limits are not affecting highway safety. The study of recent federal fatality rate data found states that raised freeway speed limits had a significant safety improvement, slightly better than the nation as a whole."

https://www.motorists.org/press/safe...-speed-limits/

According to state and federal studies, drivers that are driving significantly below the average speed are the ones that are most likely to get involved in an accident. Studies show that the most accidents occur when the driver is driving at 10 mph slower than the speed limit. So someone going 45 in a 55 has a bigger chance of getting into an accident than someone driving at 65-70 mph.

https://sites.psu.edu/siowfa15/2015/...-faster-safer/

The pedestrian, a 64-year-old Las Vegas man, was crossing Boulder Highway when he was struck by a 2002 Toyota Corolla that was heading north. He was not in a crosswalk, according to a release.

https://www.reviewjournal.com/local/...as-vegas-dies/

Investigators with the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department say a 60-year-old man was crossing against the red pedestrian signal. He was also outside the crosswalk.

Pedestrian struck and killed on Sahara Ave | LasVegasNow

Almost every single pedestrian death I have read about is caused by the dumb pedestrian NOT being in a crosswalk or crossing against the signal.

EVERY day, EVERY SINGLE DAY, I see dozens if not hundreds of idiots cross the road against the signal. I see idiots fail to look before crossing the road. I see idiots cross nowhere near a crosswalk.
I have crossed the road thousands of times without being hit. It's not hard. If you get hit crossing the road you're an idiot plain and simple. You deserve to be hit.
I do this weird thing where I actually look both ways before crossing the road. And if I see a car coming in hot, I like, you know, DON'T WALK IN FRONT OF THE CAR.
I understand physics. Human vs car = car wins every time.

All of my accidents were caused by idiot drivers, and they were going slow. I was going the speed limit in one of them. I was going UNDER the speed limit in another. In fact, the fastest I have been going in a wreck was 45 and that was the posted limit.

Slow speed limits exist for one reason and one reason only. Extortion.

Old 11-24-2017, 06:51 PM

2,457 posts, read 4,736,393 times
Been driving in the valley for 40+ years. No accidents or tickets. I dont really agree with raising speed limits no matter what some studies say. I see a lot of unsafe driving on every commute these days. The younger generation always seems to be a big hurry and drives like they are invincible and can not get hurt in an accident. When I witness an accident caused by unsafe lane hopping. I always pull over lend a statement against the unsafe driver hoping their insurance carrier sticks it too them.

Old 11-24-2017, 08:11 PM
EA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojavedxer View Post
Been driving in the valley for 40+ years. No accidents or tickets. I dont really agree with raising speed limits no matter what some studies say. I see a lot of unsafe driving on every commute these days. The younger generation always seems to be a big hurry and drives like they are invincible and can not get hurt in an accident. When I witness an accident caused by unsafe lane hopping. I always pull over lend a statement against the unsafe driver hoping their insurance carrier sticks it too them.

In Germany it takes 6 months to get your license and costs 2,000 bucks.
Coincidentally, their roads are pretty safe.

In America, you can get your license in 30 minutes for 40 bucks. There are 6 million wrecks a year with 3.2 million injuries and 40,000 fatalities.

Weird, we have poorly trained drivers, in artificially low speed zones, and a lot of accidents. I can't believe it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: