Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 11:54 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,670,748 times

Advertisements

Seriously...how much tragedy could be avoided by simply having this available, not just in Las Vegas but every major US metro area. And good grief I think we could handle any controversy it might cause initially. Indiana is hardly what anyone would describe as a progressive state, if they are allowing it I would say Nevada certainly could as well.
'I opened it up and that baby just looked me right in the eyes.' Abandoned baby came as a surprise to firefighters expecting a prank. | LaPorte County News | nwitimes.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2017, 02:54 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,118,325 times
The article would not load for me. Are you talking about the ability to safely and anonymously leave an infant at a safe place like a fire station or ER? If so, we've had that for at least a decade.

They need to fund some public service announcements to get the word out, though.

Old 11-10-2017, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
The article would not load for me. Are you talking about the ability to safely and anonymously leave an infant at a safe place like a fire station or ER? If so, we've had that for at least a decade.

They need to fund some public service announcements to get the word out, though.
Thanks for making me aware of that. Here is another link

https://www.google.com/search?redir_...EBhQNapQ_1:186

That goes to a page of stories on the drop off boxes.

Old 11-10-2017, 06:38 PM

I think they implemented this when they found " Max from Saks". Someone had abandoned an infant boy, but at least wrapped him in blankets and put him in a very noticeable shopping bag on the hood of a still warm vehicle in The Fashion Show Mall's indoor parking structure near the Saks Fifth Avenue entrance. The nurses crowned him Max from Saks.

He was fine and was adopted very quickly. I wish that's how all these newborn abandonment stories turned out.

Old 11-12-2017, 08:58 PM

2,951 posts, read 2,518,456 times
I thought you couold drop them off at any fire station. No quesions asked.

And it does seem like this went into effect many years ago.

Old 11-13-2017, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foundapeanut View Post
I thought you couold drop them off at any fire station. No quesions asked.

And it does seem like this went into effect many years ago.
Yes and Yes but the issue is it seems quite a few young people are terrified to go face to face with someone during the process which is why newborns are ending up sometimes dumped to killed. In some cases people around them may not have even known they were pregnant and I would imagine in those cases they had very compelling reasons to conceal their pregnancy.

Old 11-16-2017, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
Yes and Yes but the issue is it seems quite a few young people are terrified to go face to face with someone during the process which is why newborns are ending up sometimes dumped to killed. In some cases people around them may not have even known they were pregnant and I would imagine in those cases they had very compelling reasons to conceal their pregnancy.
Indeed, SoHoVe, that's why I think they need to get the word out better. Maybe we should bug Cox communications, and our local county commission to spend a few bucks to promote some ads. I think I will do that. Nobody ever wants to hear about a viable newborn dead in a trash can. Totally preventable.

Old 11-17-2017, 07:45 AM

12,600 posts, read 9,388,720 times
I think Terrible's gas stations have such spots and they have a yellow street sign type sign that indicate so on their windows.

Old 11-17-2017, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWestDude View Post
I think Terrible's gas stations have such spots and they have a yellow street sign type sign that indicate so on their windows.
I think those " safe place" stickers have a different meaning, but I'm not sure. I think I read something about that being a spot where runaways or abused / neglected youth could receive help. Again, we need some public service announcements. Time to bug our local officials.

Old 11-19-2017, 02:06 PM

810 posts, read 851,839 times
I agree the public probably doesn't know and with some PSA's the word can get out and these people can get help and feel safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: