Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 05:58 PM

698 posts, read 987,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KryshaSkyfire View Post
Guys, thank you very much. I have a general contractor that I sent pictures too that said he'd do it for 125, I do know him and trust him so I'm comfortable with that side of it. Now... to pick out the right system. I'm thinking of this one: 32,000 Grain Capacity Water Softener System with 9" X 48" Tank & Fleck 5600 Econominder Control Valve of the 64,000 grain one. (We currently have 6 people here so I'm leaning towards the larger one.) Thoughts?
Definitely larger, we have 3 people and a 40,000 grain, this is my unit - Fleck 5600SXT Meter 40000 Water Softener. Regarding the unit you linked, might want to check the price, I show it on the website I bought mine from (above link) for over $100 less than what your link states. Also, any reason you're going with the timer vs. meter? We've really liked our meter unit, same mfg.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2017, 07:13 AM

7,131 posts, read 11,847,999 times
The unit in the link IS metered - it's a mechanical meter vs electronic. I've serviced (and sold) these units since 1976 - it's the ONLY one I'll use if at all possible - because parts are readily available and they're pretty much a Sherman tank in terms of reliability. The oldest one I service dates back to pre-1976!

Internally, the Fleck is a 1" valve - so it's just a matter of buying the proper adapter yoke (3/4" or 1"). Use the CORRUGATED (NOT braided) Stainless Steel flex lines to connect. The brass lines, for whatever reason, tend to "harden" over time, and will split/crack for no apparent reason.

However....HERE is where it gets tricky. 99% of the units you can purchase online are built to be sold for the cheapest price. So, they'll use a good valve, mediocre tank - and junk resin and internal components. Do yourself a favor - check around for a local guy that sells AND installs them with some experience. He's going to KNOW what to do to build a good unit that he won't have to babysit, and you won't be concerned with having a problem and trying to figure out who's fault it is - or who can service it. Will you spend more? Sure - today. But 5-10 years from now, when you need service, he's going to be there to do it for you, and won't be replacing cheap stuff initially used on the unit.

Key features:

10% crosslinked resin
Underbedding to separate resin from the distributor (NOT a "false-bottom" tank/distributor system)
"Analog" style controller - water meter connects to the valve with a speedometer-style cable vs electronic meter (I have replaced a LOT of the Fleck electronic controls)
Plastic bypass that has two "bosses" you turn vs the stainless/brass one-valve bypass. For whatever reason, Fleck started using a different material in the "boot" of the one-valve, and the failure rate jumped through the roof.
Keep the unit simple - the more bells/whistles, the more to go wrong. Fleck's electronic control system sucks wind as bad as the rest of 'em - I am NOT a fan, and as I said - Fleck is my valve of choice. My son is of the same mind, and he's a "gadget guy" - and will be taking the company over when I decide it's time to fully retire.

Having said all that...<G> I'm VERY far away from you, so I have NOTHING to gain by "selling" you one over the other - because I won't sell one to you. I just try to help folks where I can, because there's nothing worse than seeing someone hosed when I could have helped. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask!

Old 10-26-2017, 06:16 PM

698 posts, read 987,050 times
Interesting Info TexasRedneck! Thanks for adding to the post, good information.

I've had my 5600SXT going on 5 years now. Hopefully it keeps going strong!

Old 10-26-2017, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qingguy View Post
Interesting Info TexasRedneck! Thanks for adding to the post, good information.

I've had my 5600SXT going on 5 years now. Hopefully it keeps going strong!
As do I - as I said, though, the weakness is the circuitry. The oldest "analog" 5600 that I could testify to under oath is one given to me (used) in 1976. It's still in operation today. Lemme know how that circuitry's doing in another 35 years.........

Old 10-26-2017, 10:23 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,372,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
As do I - as I said, though, the weakness is the circuitry. The oldest "analog" 5600 that I could testify to under oath is one given to me (used) in 1976. It's still in operation today. Lemme know how that circuitry's doing in another 35 years.........
I would note that you do not do business here and therefore your experience in general is not applicable. The water here is of two primary flavors and there are even a few places that switch between them. Both waters are quite hard.

I would also note that in general electronic implementations properly done are vastly superior to electromechanical ones. And yes there are of course exceptions...there are actually still 1930s light bulbs that have been in continuous use. But if you think that means you can go out and buy a 70 year filament light bulb you are in for a big disappointment. 25 years ago we reached the conclusion that minimum and simple electro-mechanics was the way to go. Keep the complexity in the electronic domain. Vastly more true today.

Not arguing with your view that the particular head was a great design. But that does not mean it will be so over the next years.

Old 10-27-2017, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
I would note that you do not do business here and therefore your experience in general is not applicable. The water here is of two primary flavors and there are even a few places that switch between them. Both waters are quite hard.
I deal with water that varies between naturally soft to 150 gpg. I've done water systems all over the world, from the Middle East to South America. You're free to accept my input or not - but what would my motivation be to mislead?

Quote:
I would also note that in general electronic implementations properly done are vastly superior to electromechanical ones. And yes there are of course exceptions...there are actually still 1930s light bulbs that have been in continuous use. But if you think that means you can go out and buy a 70 year filament light bulb you are in for a big disappointment. 25 years ago we reached the conclusion that minimum and simple electro-mechanics was the way to go. Keep the complexity in the electronic domain. Vastly more true today.
I can think of any number of instances where I would agree with you - but a residential water softener isn't one of them. It's simply overkill and use of a product that isn't necessary, and can be fragile in the environment of a hot garage - but that's your option. I'm simply trying to provide the benefit of my experience with both types. There are a few very specific instances where I'll use an electronic controller, but it's not generally my first choice.

Quote:
Not arguing with your view that the particular head was a great design. But that does not mean it will be so over the next years.
You're right - and I'm always open to one that's better. I simply haven't found one - and I get pitched by every valve manufacturer on the market.

Old 10-28-2017, 07:10 PM

1,927 posts, read 1,059,712 times
I have used Hanson's Water Treatment to obtain parts and they were very professional and had no problems helping me find parts or anything else or taking me into the back at their service counter and frankly, look like the real deal to me.

In the interest of full disclosure my father does own a well drilling and water treatment company in a different state, but I have no association with this company or any other in Las Vegas, other than buying parts from them.

Old 10-28-2017, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by equid0x View Post
I have used Hanson's Water Treatment to obtain parts and they were very professional and had no problems helping me find parts or anything else or taking me into the back at their service counter and frankly, look like the real deal to me.

In the interest of full disclosure my father does own a well drilling and water treatment company in a different state, but I have no association with this company or any other in Las Vegas, other than buying parts from them.
I used Hanson's once years ago for RO filters. Discovered later on the internet they charged me over twice the going rate. Never went there again. I do not object to a local retailer charging a bit more. But not over twice.
Yelp reviews of Hanson...

https://www.yelp.com/biz/hansons-wat...tm_source=bing

Old 10-30-2017, 01:01 PM

Not sure about "going rate" - but you walked into a shop, got the parts you needed on the spot and left again. Public buildings cost more than warehouse-only space, and those employees need to be paid. And you didn't have to worry about getting the wrong part shipped to you, then having to return it. Convenience and service has a cost. And folks usually complain more than thank - a handful of complaints over several years, with only one side of the story - yeah, they SHOULD tell their side of it, but honestly, there's SO many "review" sites nowadays that it's hard to keep track of them - and responding to them takes time (and adds to the costs that you were already complaining about).

Old 10-30-2017, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Not sure about "going rate" - but you walked into a shop, got the parts you needed on the spot and left again. Public buildings cost more than warehouse-only space, and those employees need to be paid. And you didn't have to worry about getting the wrong part shipped to you, then having to return it. Convenience and service has a cost. And folks usually complain more than thank - a handful of complaints over several years, with only one side of the story - yeah, they SHOULD tell their side of it, but honestly, there's SO many "review" sites nowadays that it's hard to keep track of them - and responding to them takes time (and adds to the costs that you were already complaining about).
Sorry - I spend years building product sold to consumers. To start off with the "going rate" includes a mark up already. On this sort of thing reasonably substantial. And to go double that is simply profiteering. And you respond by not doing business with such people. I have found other water purification operations around that are not that greedy. I now though buy filters and such almost exclusively on the net.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: