Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 07:05 AM

1,047 posts, read 725,444 times

Advertisements

We don't know where we are going so we try the "google take me to:"
And also try the waze app. *
Both go crazy and jump all over & usually take us miles and miles further than we need to go.
This never happened w these apps in LA, CA.
What gps apps do you all use? Any idea why ours is jumping and changing second by second? We try w both of our cells that are different. Very frustrating. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2017, 07:12 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly_me View Post
We don't know where we are going so we try the "google take me to:"
And also try the waze app. *
Both go crazy and jump all over & usually take us miles and miles further than we need to go.
This never happened w these apps in LA, CA.
What gps apps do you all use? Any idea why ours is jumping and changing second by second? We try w both of our cells that are different. Very frustrating. Thank you.
Sounds like the Las Vegas towers have some kind of software to help the taxi drivers make more money.

When there I have used Google Maps, with no problem, and have also asked Siri for directions and it seemed fine. I wonder if you have it set to avoid congested traffic, highways, or something.

Old 10-16-2017, 05:25 PM

It truly jumps to many streets within seconds. Sends us in non stop circles. This was using google "take me there" and waze. It looks manic jumping around. I wonder why yours didn't jump all over. Did you go all over Vegas, downtown, Summerlin, et or just stick to the strip? Thanks. We are doing the former.

Old 10-16-2017, 09:13 PM

2,880 posts, read 2,804,494 times
Who's your provider and what phone do you have?

I would try clearing data and cache within those apps/uninstalling and reinstalling them

Old 10-16-2017, 09:32 PM

Default reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaSupreme View Post
Who's your provider and what phone do you have?

I would try clearing data and cache within those apps/uninstalling and reinstalling them
We both have t mobile. I have a Galaxy 5 and I do not know what my roommate has but it is an android.
Ok, I know I can delete waze and reload it.
I didn't know I could do it w google b/c it seems it was already there. I will try to delete google too? Will I lose all my bookmarks? Thank you for your time. Truly.

Old 10-16-2017, 09:34 PM

I mean I can uninstall not delete. My lingo is off.

Old 10-16-2017, 11:02 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,335,750 times
I continually use an Android and Verizon all around LV. I don't need it except for complex side tracts...but I use it to pick the routes as I go crosstown. The rule is never cross Vegas on the diagonal which unfortunately I do all the time. Almost a forty mile trip...which gives lots of chance to run into traffic problem so I use Google to route it. I do not get any funny stuff. And the routing is always clear. It screws up once in a while by trying to route into a tract through a blocked street...but that is the only problem I hit.

So you have I think something going on between your hardware and T-Mobile.

Old 10-17-2017, 01:10 AM

3,683 posts, read 9,857,373 times
I'd suspect that your phone has a problem and is not actually receiving a location fix from the GPS satellites, and instead is trying to determine it's location using less accurate methods (triangulating between cell towers). This happened to me last year on my iPhone when I was travelling in New York state. It was easy to tell what the problem was because the "circle of confusion" never shrank to a small dot like it does when the phone is receiving a GPS signal. The problem was a failed flex cable inside the phone; $8 on Ebay for a new cable and 30 minutes of my time fixed the problem.

I'm sure with Android you can download an app that tells you the signal strengths of each satellite your GPS receiver is using, and your exact longitude/latitude with high precision. That's where I'd start if I were you.

Old 10-17-2017, 06:05 AM

799 posts, read 707,947 times
I used to live near L.A., and our gps apps work just as well here as they do there. We use waze all the time. (iphone and att) It is odd that you have two different phones doing the same thing.

Old 10-17-2017, 08:20 AM

Default thank u

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
I'd suspect that your phone has a problem and is not actually receiving a location fix from the GPS satellites, and instead is trying to determine it's location using less accurate methods (triangulating between cell towers). This happened to me last year on my iPhone when I was travelling in New York state. It was easy to tell what the problem was because the "circle of confusion" never shrank to a small dot like it does when the phone is receiving a GPS signal. The problem was a failed flex cable inside the phone; $8 on Ebay for a new cable and 30 minutes of my time fixed the problem.

I'm sure with Android you can download an app that tells you the signal strengths of each satellite your GPS receiver is using, and your exact longitude/latitude with high precision. That's where I'd start if I were you.
Great comment. A little above my head but will show roommate when he is back in town and hope to do as you say. Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: