Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2017, 11:00 AM

27 posts, read 28,447 times

Advertisements

This idea has been creeping in my head the past few days and strongly considering it an option for my incoming 1st and 3rd graders. I have read several blogs that are helpful in giving me the idea about how homeschooling basically goes. I just would like to get some inputs from local homeschooling parents about state laws and regulations, and also information about resources that I can gather which will help me be able to go through this process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2017, 12:16 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,126,233 times
We did k12 with my daughter when we first moved here (We didn't have an apartment before school started so we didn't know what district we'd be in)

It let her go at her own pace, which is quicker than most, and hasn't seemed to have affected her grade wise back in public schools.

So that may be an option for you. They send you all the materials and and things for the kids. All you need is internet.

It's easier than setting up your own curriculum and worrying about complying with state standards. It also gives you some freedom to teach above and beyond as well as not be tied down to school schedule.

Old 05-22-2017, 12:38 PM

Thanks, I appreciate the input. I have been surfing the clark county public school district website and was able to find a link to homeschooling information. I also hope to be able to find support groups that can guide me in this new challenging role. It really seems like a daunting task, but I know with commitment anything is possible.

Thank you again!

Old 05-22-2017, 01:44 PM

848 posts, read 649,192 times
My wife and I have been homeschooling our two daughters for the last four years. In fact, along with two other moms, she runs a south valley homeschool Meetup group with nearly 200 families. Coincidentally, the group is hosting a homeschool Q & A tomorrow for those exploring that option. Nevada is a great state for homeschooling. Currently, you are required to submit a homeschool notice of intent and brief education plan with the Clark County School District. You can deliver it in person or send it via certified mail/return receipt or Priority Mail with signature confirmation. This helps to ensure you get an official acknowledgment back from CCSD confirming they know you are homeschooling. This is a one-time filing, and you are not required to provide any further information to CCSD going forward as long as you are homeschooling. The only time you need to update CCSD is if you move, and you simply provide your new address to them. Here is the Web site with the forms and additional details: Homeschooling | Education Services Division | CCSD.

Homeschooling does not require you to do school online or do any state-mandated testing. In fact, with many of the online schools, you technically are still a school student. There are many different ways to homeschool, and what makes it ideal is that you truly can work with your children to tailor their education in a way which best suits their needs.

Finally, you do not need to worry about the top issue most people unfamiliar with homeschooling often raise: socialization. As long as you make it a priority to be a part of an active group, there simply is never a shortage of things to do with kids of all ages. The Meetup group noted above has an activity planned each day this week, for example. In fact, I would argue that active homeschoolers provide better socialization for their kids because they get to interact with kids of all ages as well as adults from a variety of different backgrounds. That certainly has been our experience.

Old 05-22-2017, 08:50 PM

Thank you so much for this helpful information. I will check the website and hopefully will be able to attend the Q&A session. I really appreciate it!

Old 05-22-2017, 11:36 PM

848 posts, read 649,192 times
I hope the information is helpful. I also sent a direct message to you with further details on the homeschool Meetup group referenced above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: