Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2017, 12:33 AM

12,908 posts, read 28,039,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by orca17 View Post
I have never heard of a paint job lowering a car's value.
if the car goes to auction, which it would on a trade in... dealers use a tool that measure filler, paint etc... there would most likely be some overspray somewhere....the car would be avoided by most...

don't put money into a dead horse...

now if it had low miles or was a in demand model, maybe a different story
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2017, 02:01 AM

2,880 posts, read 2,816,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
the paint job alone is going to cost you around $2500 or more.. you won't recover that money. with the paint job, the value will go lower
While this is usually always true, I don't think the OP is doing it to sell it. Unless I'm mistaken

Old 04-08-2017, 05:59 AM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,131,941 times
It's 900 for a new carpet. I would charge 200 to put it in. Not sure what a dealership or shop would charge.

2007 Lexus RX350. #585100E011B0: Carpet. Floor Carpet. US built gray

You can get a Maaco paint job for a few hundred, but it won't be very good.
You could get a Vinyl wrap for about the same price as an ok paint job.
You could also plastidip it for 100-250~ they have a variety of colors and finishes these days.
There's options.

Old 04-08-2017, 06:17 AM

1,078 posts, read 1,155,560 times
If it gets him what he wants it's not wasted money.
Not everything in life needs to turn a profit.

For example, i would not hesitate to spend $900 to fix a car that I like that is paid for.
For example my wifes 97 acura, or the 97 metro I just got rid of.

I did paint in a body shop YEARS ago and I would suggest that a really good detail shop may be a happy medium between repaint and replacing the carpets. Of course it depends why it needs to be painted.

It is often true, esp in the car biz that a repaint can bring down the price of a car of course that depends on the quality of the job.
On this car I am not sure it is much of an issue on a more exotic car then yes.

I would support the idea of buying a car here and selling yours there.

Of course if you REALLY love the car bring it out here buy a nice body with a bad motor/tranny and swap it out.

Old 04-08-2017, 06:30 AM

6,760 posts, read 3,385,324 times
If you keep it the same color a paint job wouldn't look too bad, although dark blue is a tough color to match. If the OP wants to keep it and just have it look better, go ahead. I would do something better than MAACO, though.

Getting a carpet kit and having it installed wouldn't be that big of a deal. There might even be some nice after-market ones out there.

Old 04-08-2017, 07:14 AM
EA

I noted that Maaco wouldn't be a quality job. There's no aftermarket for an rx350.

Old 04-08-2017, 08:17 AM

25 posts, read 39,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
It's 900 for a new carpet. I would charge 200 to put it in. Not sure what a dealership or shop would charge.

2007 Lexus RX350. #585100E011B0: Carpet. Floor Carpet. US built gray

You can get a Maaco paint job for a few hundred, but it won't be very good.
You could get a Vinyl wrap for about the same price as an ok paint job.
You could also plastidip it for 100-250~ they have a variety of colors and finishes these days.
There's options.
Thanks EA. That was the type of answer I was hoping to see. Your Google is much better than my Google. That link doesn't even show up on my first 3 pages of hits. I've found a few places that sell replacement carpet, but don't list my make/model of car or that it is just a sheet of carpet with bad reviews. I did find a link posted by a guy in Australia with photos showing how extensive the process of carpet replacement in this make/model was for him, but he didn't cite his carpet source.

Old 04-08-2017, 08:34 AM
EA

I've done a bunch of interior work. Aftermarket carpets always require trimming and rarely ever have any of the factory provisions for keeping them secured. oem replacements are the only way to go. Oem carpets are form fitted and have all the holes, tabs, and slots required for installation. Aftermarket carpets tend to not be form fitting or have any tabs, holes, or slots for installation.

Old 04-08-2017, 08:44 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,639,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David56 View Post
I have a 2007 Lexus RX350 that still runs like new. It has only 166K miles, so I'd like to get it re-painted (same midnight blue) and replace the carpet to make it look and feel new again too. It seems that the only car restoration shops that I hear about are for enthusiasts that want to customize a car or restore a vintage/valuable car. Can anyone recommend car restoration businesses in Las Vegas that have a reputation for doing a nice job on a non-vintage/non-collectible vehicles? Or should I be looking for two separate businesses, one for paint and another for carpet replacement?

I have a 2000 F350 and I had it repainted and had it detailed. The value may not be much but it doesn't matter. If the car runs well has no problems there us nothing wrong with freshening it up. If you can get another 160k out of it it's not gonna have any trade in value. by then it may have some resale worth simply because it will be a older car and someone may want it.

You should be able to order the carpet and have it installed. Find a good body shop and have the car repainted. Just make sure you remove ALL the trim to get the better paint job.

Old 04-08-2017, 01:12 PM

25 posts, read 39,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
I have a 2000 F350 and I had it repainted and had it detailed. The value may not be much but it doesn't matter. If the car runs well has no problems there us nothing wrong with freshening it up. If you can get another 160k out of it it's not gonna have any trade in value. by then it may have some resale worth simply because it will be a older car and someone may want it.

You should be able to order the carpet and have it installed. Find a good body shop and have the car repainted. Just make sure you remove ALL the trim to get the better paint job.
Yes thanks, I'm convinced this is the way to go for me. EA posted a good link to a business for OEM carpet whereas I couldn't find one. I'll search for a good body shop in Las Vegas after I arrive. Much obliged to everyone for their posts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: