Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2017, 10:29 PM

2,880 posts, read 2,804,494 times

Advertisements

so my backyard has one side of it where the cinder block wall is about one row lower than the other side. i spoke to my neighbor a while ago and she was open to the idea of splitting the cost of raising it another course (adding another row) at some point in the future. hopefully she would still be happy to split the cost.

from what I gather it would probably be about 100-ft of cinder block which will cost approx $100 just for those

now my question is, since this seems like a simple job i could hire the help waiting outside of the hardware stores, but I have no idea what a fair price would be and what the process is of negotiating. any advice would be welcome.

Last edited by OmegaSupreme; 04-02-2017 at 10:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2017, 01:49 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,340,514 times
I wouldn't hire those guys unless you know how to lay blocks and they will just be your hod carriers and mortar mixers. But I'd get someone you can trust to lay the blocks correctly and have the tools they need; and nt someone who will case your house to come back and rob you.

Old 04-03-2017, 06:34 AM

359 posts, read 361,087 times
i would go to any new development and ask those that are installing the walls how much they would charge you on the off time to do the work

Old 04-03-2017, 08:56 AM

6,746 posts, read 3,361,971 times
I'm no expert on block walls, but isn't there rebar inside the blocks to hold the courses together? Can you just add another course of blocks without tying them to the ones below?

I would definitely ask someone that knows what they're doing before relying on the day help at Home Depot.

Old 04-03-2017, 12:32 PM

2,076 posts, read 4,071,283 times
Definitely need to tie it into the existing block courses with rebar. Probably easier to fill an existing empty column with new rebar versus drilling into the existing filled cells which would already have rebar.

The footings are designed for a specific height wall. Realistically you're probably within a fudge factor if you add a single course, but something to keep in mind.

Laying block level and tooling the joints to make it look decent requires experience. No way I would be relying on any day labor to do it.

Old 04-03-2017, 04:06 PM

2,413 posts, read 2,028,087 times
Hmmm... You may need a building permit and the wall may have to be engineered.

Old 04-03-2017, 04:46 PM

2,880 posts, read 2,804,494 times
i guess i will scrap this idea for now

Old 04-03-2017, 08:35 PM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
In Mexico, the majority of construction is concrete, cinder block, and only when they come to this country do the need to learn how to build with wood. So, if you were going to hire a Mexican from Home Depot, I'd look for one of the oldest ones to do the job, and yes or no, rebar.

I've seen additions to cinder block walls in my neighborhood, but I doubt very much if the additions had rebar. But if it's only one layer, I wouldn't worry about it.

We have cinder block walls throughout my 1970 townhouse complex, and apparently, when they built the walls, there was no rebar, as over the years they've gone through the expense of adding rebar, wall by wall.

Not sure, even with the rebar, if it would survive an earthquake.

Old 04-05-2017, 06:27 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,335,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaSupreme View Post
i guess i will scrap this idea for now
If it is between homes and both agree I would not worry much about permits and such. If it is a border wall facing a street I would. Zoning codes generally are set at six feet and anything higher requires a use permit. They are actually easy to get as long as it is not a neighborhood controversy. You won't for instance find it easy to get a use permit for a ten foot wall. It can be done but you will likely have to work at it and have a rational need.

Find a local contractor who does it and get a bid and hire the lowest one who sounds rational. They will know about requirements and whether or not you really have to get a permit for a particular job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas