Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 10:25 PM

561 posts, read 682,339 times

Advertisements

Zippering works with clearly defined lane spaces and short merging areas. But that isn't what we have in the US. We have quarter mile lanes that combine into an amorphous area, where it isn't really clear whether you should merge earlier in the space (if you have a wide car) or if a smaller car should keep going to the very, very last possible second.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2017, 06:02 AM

2,469 posts, read 3,265,916 times
Those should work just fine, but people need to realize you have to let cars in to keep the flow. You can barely get drivers here to let a car in when a lane narrows/closes due to construction. Yes it is annoying when people wait until the last minute to merge but I rather let them in to keep things moving.

Old 02-22-2017, 02:11 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,727,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dltordj View Post
Those should work just fine, but people need to realize you have to let cars in to keep the flow. You can barely get drivers here to let a car in when a lane narrows/closes due to construction. Yes it is annoying when people wait until the last minute to merge but I rather let them in to keep things moving.

Sometimes they wait until the last possible moment to merge because no one will let them in. That always confuses me. If the highway is so congested that you are worried about a car length then how much quicker do you think you will arrive if there are 10 new cars ahead of you when you're going 20 miles an hour?

My favorite are the 215 ramps by Frys heading west/north. We had some woman in a little white car absolutely refuse to let us in. A few miles down the road I passed her. What was the point of denying us a place in line I wonder. Happens there all the time because of the brilliant way the planners dumped 3 on ramps into the 215 within a half mile or so.

Duh.

Old 02-22-2017, 06:14 PM

53 posts, read 51,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaSupreme View Post
That doesn't seem proper to me. I'll continue to block the aholes who think they can cut the line. What's your rush anyway? Quickly on your way to a car crash?
Its not proper to merge in where you are supposed to merge in? You do what you gotta do.. have fun. Lord knows you're not alone in feeling like you need to block folks. Not sure why you think this has something to do with a rush or cutting a line. People need to get on to the freeway...

On the prisoner's dilemma, it often works out that they cooperate to the dismay of the police. Same with traffic, it can work. More often than not merging goes fine. Sure 1 of 3 or 4 may be blockers, but thank god its not everybody. Most drivers are pretty nice!

Old 02-23-2017, 12:12 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,727,330 times
Quote:
That doesn't seem proper to me. I'll continue to block the aholes who think they can cut the line.

What's your rush anyway? Quickly on your way to a car crash?
That's a question for you.

"What's your rush anyway? Quickly on your way to a car crash?"

In such a big hurry that a little courtesy is out of the question?

Old 02-23-2017, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
That's a question for you.

"What's your rush anyway? Quickly on your way to a car crash?"

In such a big hurry that a little courtesy is out of the question?

Yes, those questions go both ways. Nobody likes it when a driver waits until the last second to get over. But if we can get those cars in everyone gets to where they need to go, on time.

Old 02-23-2017, 02:58 PM

2,880 posts, read 2,811,487 times
Anyone ever try this at the checkout lines at a grocery store, or Costco?

I'm going to do it and if anyone objects, I'll just politely yell "That's OK, I'm Zipper Merging... It's faster for everyone!"

Old 02-23-2017, 05:35 PM

Sounds like something my 11 y.o. would say.

Old 02-23-2017, 05:49 PM

2,880 posts, read 2,811,487 times
I was mistaken, I thought this was for exiting the freeway. I suppose I should have read that article more thoroughly

What kind of **** doesn't let people merge onto the highway???

Old 02-23-2017, 07:20 PM

250 posts, read 229,831 times
Quote:
I was mistaken, I thought this was for exiting the freeway. I suppose I should have read that article more thoroughly

What kind of **** doesn't let people merge onto the highway???
I read your previous posts and quite frankly I wanted to tell you off but I'm glad I didn't. I am totally with you on the off ramp thing but I don't think this post is referring to off ramps or on ramps but lane closures. If the left lane is closing and you get over before it closes you end up waiting in line for no reason and you see people whipping up your left side with gusto which frustrates the heck out of you or me and leads to people blocking said Lane. Zippering is simply saying merge when you need to merge, I go you go I go you go. NOT getting right miles early and getting pissed at people are passing you on the left and getting in ahead of you

Anybody driving the 95 Southbound towards spaghetti bowl twill know what I'm talking about. ( twice if you're in the HOV lane)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas