Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2016, 06:21 PM

243 posts, read 238,230 times

Advertisements

On one of those rare visits these days to the NW part of town to meet some friends who live in the area for a jog around Lone Mountain. After the first lap, a group of six dirt bikers blasted by us and a pair of horse riders. Funny thing is that the signs around the park make it pretty clear that the trail is for horse riding, bicycles and people on foot.

It would seem that in the new reality that we find ourselves in, rules do not apply to all equally.

After calling 311, and trying to explain to the operator what an equestrian trail was and where it was, about a miles from Metro's NW area command we gave up and left. Metro apparently could not be bothered and nether could we be. So, there goes another park into the junk heap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2016, 07:50 PM

1,609 posts, read 2,015,880 times
That's very sad to hear, as I hike the mountain all the time. Hopefully enforcement from park officials will curb this.

Old 12-29-2016, 08:16 PM

243 posts, read 238,230 times
It would be nice if they did enforce the park rules - however, the authorities (METRO) which has the NW Area Command about a mile or so away did not realize what an equestrian trail was or where Lone Mountain was.

It would be great to have a private KEY park reserved for members.

All this is one of many reasons why moved from the NW rural estate district. Too many off road dirt bikers without lights or signals driving up and down the roads ignoring all traffic rules. It would seem to me that their dad is in Utah on a construction job and the mother's and spiritual wives are off baking cookies while the kiddies play.

Old 12-30-2016, 02:58 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,354,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xusafpilot View Post
It would be nice if they did enforce the park rules - however, the authorities (METRO) which has the NW Area Command about a mile or so away did not realize what an equestrian trail was or where Lone Mountain was.

It would be great to have a private KEY park reserved for members.

All this is one of many reasons why moved from the NW rural estate district. Too many off road dirt bikers without lights or signals driving up and down the roads ignoring all traffic rules. It would seem to me that their dad is in Utah on a construction job and the mother's and spiritual wives are off baking cookies while the kiddies play.
It is a standard rural neighborhood complaint. Not all that bad a problem but a nuisance. Actually be harder to catch on the trails. Metro does not like to take their cars off road. I would also point out I have seen only 1 in the last month. And my dog lets me know when one goes past.

I hear far more motorcycles than dirt bikes...and they are noisier particularly when messing around on the back streets. Even run into them in Sun City. Old dudes but noisy as ever.

And you have to listen some time to some of the ladies in the high altitudes of Sun City complaining about the bicyclists flying down the roads. They don't make noise but they sometimes come flying silently down the hills at relatively high speed.

Old 12-30-2016, 10:22 PM

8,420 posts, read 4,578,117 times
By dirt bikes to you mean motorcycle dirt bikes or bicycle mountain bikes?

As far as motorcycle dirt bikes, you would be amazed at how few places there are to ride them these days. Back when I rode them, anywhere there was dirt was fair game. Now with dust ordinances you cant ride them anywhere near houses (and I mean miles near). You can't just go out in the boonies because BLM land is mostly fenced off. I gave up on them back in the 1990's because there is no where to ride them.

Same with shooting guns in the desert. Public lands aren't that public any more.

Old 12-31-2016, 09:13 AM

555 posts, read 775,548 times
Went there once and didn't see any dirt bikes/ATV riders, I'm guessing it must've been an isolated incident. I do feel there needs to be some type of off-road / dirt bike/ ATV trail as there's a lot of folks in town with these types of vehicles.

OP: next time try reporting the incident to the County Park Police; if enough complaints come in I'm sure they will beef up patrol in that area.
http://www.clarkcountynv.gov/adminis...ContactUs.aspx

Old 01-01-2017, 01:26 AM

452 posts, read 336,693 times
I live across the street from Lone Mountain and hardly ever see dirt bikes, they really arnt hurting anyone as they are normally off the main trails in the desert

Old 01-01-2017, 09:54 PM

2,719 posts, read 3,491,548 times
I have been to the park many times as my family resides in the area. Never had any problems with dirt bikes in the park. The times I've visited, there are hardly any people in the park. I love visiting all three parks in the area, Lone Mountain Equestrian Park, Majestic Park and the Las Vegas Police Memorial Park, the latter which is the busiest of all three. I love how the three parks are right next to each other, one huge suburban park, hehehe.

Old 01-02-2017, 10:55 AM

15,856 posts, read 14,483,585 times
Are there enough people riding horses left to justify reserving this park for equestrian use? I wonder what the ratio of horses to ATVs/dirt bikes is?

Old 01-02-2017, 11:16 AM

18,058 posts, read 10,354,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Are there enough people riding horses left to justify reserving this park for equestrian use? I wonder what the ratio of horses to ATVs/dirt bikes is?
The trail is primarily a hiking one. It is actually an upgrade and extension of a WPA project from the 30s. My dog and I used to do it a decade ago. I would walk the trail while he chased squirrels and rabbits up and down the 60 or 70% grade. I doubt horses can do the part of the trail that leads to the summit...too dangerous.

The equestrian center is actually a covered riding rink. The Lone Mountain area is "equestrian" zoned...that is the 1/2 acre or larger properties can legally have horses. It is common though only a minority of the homes. There are regular playground items next to the rink and a companion large discovery park next door. It is a very nice recreational feature all together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: