Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2008, 07:45 AM

2 posts, read 4,551 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone

I am British and am planning a move to Las Vegas by the end of the year to Marry my American Fiance. I have visited Vegas twice in the past 6 months and have fallen in love with the city! I never dreamed of moving so far away, but love has changed my perspective.

A couple of questions.

We are considering Lake Tahoe for our wedding but as my Fiance only moved to Vegas last year he still isn't sure of the best locations for our reception. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Do Americans in Vegas like the British? It's been hard to tell as everyone seems used to the tourists in general...

What are the best / worst areas? Anywhere we should definately experience or avoid?

Look forward to hearing from some of you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2008, 10:28 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,340,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stara View Post
Hello Everyone

I am British and am planning a move to Las Vegas by the end of the year to Marry my American Fiance. I have visited Vegas twice in the past 6 months and have fallen in love with the city! I never dreamed of moving so far away, but love has changed my perspective.

A couple of questions.

We are considering Lake Tahoe for our wedding but as my Fiance only moved to Vegas last year he still isn't sure of the best locations for our reception. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Do Americans in Vegas like the British? It's been hard to tell as everyone seems used to the tourists in general...

What are the best / worst areas? Anywhere we should definately experience or avoid?

Best wishes on your upcoming wedding. Where at Lake Tahoe do you plan to have the ceremony? That might determine where you would want to have the reception. The number of guests might make a difference also.

I assume that you know that Lake Tahoe is over 400 miles from Las Vegas and covers a very large area made up of several towns in two different states, 19 ski resorts, and lots of wilderness. Most people down here in Las Vegas know very little about northern Nevada. I lived in Reno for a while several years ago and spent a lot of time at Tahoe over the years, but things change and I'm not completely up to speed.

Best/worst areas for what?

People here don't pay a lot of attention to where you are from since Las Vegas is an international town. Brits are generally well liked. We like your accents. Most of the British I've known here seemed very happy. You'll love it here.

Old 02-27-2008, 05:43 PM

79 posts, read 458,503 times
Default Weddings and Brits

Hello from the UK,

First of all BEST OF LUCK WITH YOUR SPECIAL DAY. X

I was married in LV many many yrs ago, this is what started my love for Sin City.
I'm now going through the process of buying my vaction/holiday home in LV this spring.

My wedding day was a dream, the LV residents made it sooooo very special..the guy who married us was a true pro, and made us feel so very welcome.
I love the place, I guess it's a different place all together when you live there, like any city or town.

Us brits are very street wise.
Good luck with it all, I may bump into you in the near future.

P.S// lake Tahoe, was part of our holiday/wedding, we did 1wk in tahoe skiiing and the jetted off to Vegas for the other wk and wedding. Tahoe is fabulous and worth a visit, my advise to you is fly, it's only 30-40mins by air to LV

P.S// I have had a certain US friend for many years in the UK , who until i told them that i have applied for my loan in LV, they told me that three family live in Henderson WOW, I can not wait for our vaction meet up.

It's a funny old world(small world) we live in.

What part of the UK are you from?

GinnyGin UK

Old 02-27-2008, 05:52 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,917,193 times
Quote:
If you don't want to make the commute up to Tahoe, why not Lake Las Vegas instead?

Old 02-28-2008, 12:36 AM

572 posts, read 1,683,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radraja View Post
If you don't want to make the commute up to Tahoe, why not Lake Las Vegas instead?

+1 for Lake Las Vegas... although possibly pricey, it is quite beautiful out there. I'm sure one of the big hotels there must have some sort of wedding package? I believe it's only about 17 miles from the Strip... might be something to consider if you have a lot of guests coming from out of town.

Old 03-13-2008, 11:57 AM

2 posts, read 4,551 times
Thank you for all the responses.

Lake Las Vegas is an option too, in fact anywhere nearby is. I will definately look into that option. I doubt we will exceed 50+ guests.

Ginny, my fiancee lives in Henderson so we could probably bump into eachother quite a bit! hehe. I live in the SE of England. What about you?

Old 03-13-2008, 01:57 PM

120 posts, read 390,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stara View Post
Hello Everyone

A couple of questions.

Best of luck -- and this is America, doooood! People are people, we are all the same, human. Especially in diverse cities like Las Vegas... this is 2008. I recommend wedding in Las Vegas, of course. Elaborate opulent wedding chapels in places like the Bellagio, Wynn, etc. Be ready to spend som BUX!!! Come and enjoy yourself!!!

Old 03-13-2008, 03:53 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,980,195 times
+++++++ for Lake Las Vegas, my favorite place, you could get married on Segways!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas