Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 05:51 AM

1,755 posts, read 5,339,902 times

Advertisements

Homeowners are complaining about a gun range---in the works for 24 years. They claim they weren't informed of such when they bought. Gee, hard to believe a "realtor" didn't know, or disclose this fact. ReviewJournal.com - News - Neighbors denounce planned gun range
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2008, 10:40 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,172,117 times
or ....hard to believe they bought something and only half listened to what the REALTOR was saying......

Old 02-18-2008, 10:53 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,167,279 times
We just moved from a neighborhood that was about a block from the northern end of Decatur. I was looking forward to being within walking distance of the range once it opened. I even considered opening a gun store on Decatur, in the Wal-Mart center across the street from the Costco, just north of 215 - it would have been a perfect location to get sales from people visiting the range, as well as being the only one in the northern part of the valley.

As far as I'm concerned, the only legitimate gripe these people have is about the noise, which I don't think will be that bad. I've been to the location that the park's going to be built on. It's past the current northern end of Decatur (Decatur turns into a dirt road at that point), with the southeastern corner being at Decatur and Moccasin (or the powerline access road that will become Moccasin at some point). To the south, there's some dunes, a power substation, and then a high school before you reach housing. To the southeast, there's nothing at all - the NLV side of Decatur has no residential development within a couple of miles of the site.

They won't hear it during the summer, when they're inside with the AC on, and they won't hear it in the winter, when they're inside with the heat on. They'll only hear it when they're outside, or during the few months you can actually have your windows open during the day.

As for them not being informed, COME ON. If I were going to be spending a quarter million dollars or more on a piece of land, I'd find EVERY bit of information I could about that land and the land surrounding it. Heck - we were only renting that house and I knew about the shooting park. These homeowners were blissfully ignorant when they bought their home, and now they're finding that their ignorance has a price...

They remind me of the people that pitch a fit about the airport that's a mile away from their homes - the same one that was there when they bought them...

Edit to add link: Clark_County_Shooting Park

Last edited by swagger; 02-18-2008 at 10:54 AM.. Reason: added link

Old 02-18-2008, 11:13 AM

13,813 posts, read 28,545,988 times
Why don't they open the gun range on the pig farm and kill two birds with one stone (or two pigs with one bullet?)

Love the basketball trick of that woman...that took balls...(basketballs??!!) That's not you Pink, is it?

Old 02-18-2008, 12:00 PM

12,908 posts, read 28,050,650 times
where is the shooting park? the map on the website is not specific at all

Old 02-19-2008, 04:04 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,328,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
Why don't they open the gun range on the pig farm and kill two birds with one stone (or two pigs with one bullet?)

Love the basketball trick of that woman...that took balls...(basketballs??!!) That's not you Pink, is it?
What are you rambling on about now?

Old 02-19-2008, 04:09 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,328,428 times
So what happens when the shooters miss their targets and the bullets go through someones window down the road? Then what?
I think they should move the shooting range to somewhere more desolate. With no residents around for at least 5 miles or more.

In case anyone is wondering, there are many Realtors and builders that don't disclose all the info to the people buying. They do it to make a sale. When i bought my place, there was A LOT of info kept from me and my neighbors, some very important things like our places were built on sinking soil for one.

Old 02-19-2008, 07:47 AM

210 posts, read 822,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
So what happens when the shooters miss their targets and the bullets go through someones window down the road? Then what?
I think they should move the shooting range to somewhere more desolate. With no residents around for at least 5 miles or more.
You've never been to a shooting range, have you? There are huge banks of dirt behind the targets. If someone misses, the bullet goes into the dirt. And at every range I've ever been to, there are very strict controls on how many bullets can be chambered and when reloading is allowed. Shooting ranges are very safe.

They can also build up the banks and structure multiple banks in such a way that the decibals outside the range are kept to a reasonably low level. This is commonly done for shooting ranges in urban areas and it's the obvious solution to any noise problems with this range.

I suspect the people who want to stop the shooting range are expressing a political agenda, and hiding it in terms that will get them more support.

Last edited by Lola Granola; 02-19-2008 at 07:49 AM.. Reason: change wording

Old 02-19-2008, 08:21 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,167,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola Granola View Post
I suspect the people who want to stop the shooting range are expressing a political agenda, and hiding it in terms that will get them more support.
This quote from the RJ article says it all:
Quote:
Several people also asked how stray bullets will be avoided and whether officials had thought about shooters toting weapons en masse to the range and through their neighborhood.
OH MY GOD! THERE ARE GUNS IN THAT CAR!!!

Old 02-19-2008, 08:22 AM

13,813 posts, read 28,545,988 times
You'd think the residents would be more worried about the guns and gang vilence in the streets in front of their house than in some safe gun range far enough away. Truth be told, one has a better statistical chance of a stray bullet hitting them right in front of their house from criminal activity than they do from this gun range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas