Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2016, 08:11 PM

3,475 posts, read 3,277,377 times

Advertisements

Clinton 2390 delegates. Sanders 2958 delegates. #ccdp2016

Thousands turn out for Clark County Democratic Convention - Sanders gets more delegates than Clinton

I was thinking of your today ScoopLV and hoping that you went. Thank you!!! Thank you!!! Thank you!!!

Old 04-02-2016, 10:09 PM

1,254 posts, read 1,058,516 times
I have to ask why this matters? Bernie has a 1% chance of becoming president. Clinton has a 77% chance and will be the next president. I am not happy about it, but it is what it is.

Old 04-02-2016, 11:49 PM

Because this is how people get elected, Katie! While Clinton won the caucus Sanders won the convention because people didn't show up and others switched their votes. You gotta know how it works and keep showing up! The revolution isn't taking what the DNC has been serving while sitting down. They're fighting them and it's exciting to see the process in action!

The crowd goes wild when the final results are announced!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=_moehiWdKPI

Did Bernie Sanders Win Nevada? | Heavy.com

Old 04-03-2016, 10:20 AM

2,413 posts, read 2,029,490 times
It seems that the superdelegates will decide this nomination. It really doesn't matter for whom you vote, or if you vote at all.

Old 04-03-2016, 11:00 AM

399 posts, read 693,823 times
Please keep politics out of this forum! It only leads to snarky comments from both sides. There is other forums and message boards that you can spew your venom. Thanks.

Old 04-03-2016, 11:18 AM

4,862 posts, read 7,961,723 times
At what point will people understand Bernie is making promises about programs there's no way the Republicans will pass. It's like people haven't learned anything from the past 7 years of obstruction.

Tell them what they want to hear.....

Old 04-03-2016, 03:45 PM

85 posts, read 63,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
At what point will people understand Bernie is making promises about programs there's no way the Republicans will pass. It's like people haven't learned anything from the past 7 years of obstruction.

So why are we electing these obstructionists? How many people here can name the candidates running for congress let alone their individual policies and voting records? Safe to say not many. I mean, google it, find out who is running your state. Look up who is running and choose the right people and kick out the ones dragging us down.

Vegas is a major tourist destination, why the heck don't we have recreational marijuana? Use that tax money to bring down auto registration prices, and fund schools. I don't like smelling weed, but I don't like paying loads of money to register my car either.

Old 04-03-2016, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
It seems that the superdelegates will decide this nomination. It really doesn't matter for whom you vote, or if you vote at all.
That's what they would like us to think. The establishment would love nothing more than for us to lay down and roll over and allow the status quo to maintain itself with things as usual, but they've gone too far and need to be held accountable and Sanders is the only one addressing that issue.

Superdelegates can and do change their votes when push comes to shove at the national convention. There is a historic precedents in presidential primaries where there is a front runner and then come March someone else gains momentum and the nomination. It happened to Hilary in 08 with Barak Obama. She had the majority of the superdelegates and they switched to Obama in the end. We're in a similar situation right now with Clinton and Sanders only Sanders is modestly doing better than Obama did at this same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWNLV View Post
Please keep politics out of this forum! It only leads to snarky comments from both sides. There is other forums and message boards that you can spew your venom. Thanks.
Isn't that the run of the internet? I hear you but part of the political process is political discourse which has impassioned people for hundreds of years. There have been some spectacular public brawls historically because of it even 100 years ago on the Senate steps in D.C. Heck, for that matter there have been historic brawls inside our own Congress between representatives not unlike the what we've seen on youtube in Taiwan in 2009, Japan in 2015, and in the Ukraine in 2008, 2011, and 2015. I guess the bottom line is this is our county and affects this forum directly so we should be able to discuss it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post

Am I to understand people should give up their ideals? Where would Martin Luther King be and the Civil Rights Movement if they'd listen to the pragmatics of today?

I've been thinking about this issue though and I'm glad you brought it up. Obama did do a lot in the first two years he was President while he had enough people on his side. Then when midterms came people sat out the election and saw a Republican Congress took hold. Obama was up for re-election and he took a more moderate tone attempting to reach across the aisle and work with that Congress, but then he didn't get much more done with a gridlocked Congress.

I think the lesson that the youth took from this was that they have to stay politically involved and not give up. Find out who is in the way and get them out and put people in that reflect their ideals. Bernie Sanders isn't saying he can do it alone. He's calling for a political revolution. He'll need his supporters and the frustrated constituency to stay politically involved. For the first two years with the current Congress we don't expect much to happen. However, the midterm election is when they'll have to rise again and vote people in and out of office that will get what they want done to help their president along.

If Hilary continues Obama's policies we're going to just see more of the same Congressional gridlock as we're seeing now and the status quo continued. Only if you listen to Noam Chomsky her ideals are more like a moderate Republican because she's a Goldwater Republican from the 1960's and she hasn't shifted that far left in her politics since then. She's also an opportunist carpetbagger career politicians. I'm not trying to say that in a bad way just stating the facts because that's what I recently learned it's called.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Allen View Post
So why are we electing these obstructionists? How many people here can name the candidates running for congress let alone their individual policies and voting records? Safe to say not many. I mean, google it, find out who is running your state. Look up who is running and choose the right people and kick out the ones dragging us down.

Vegas is a major tourist destination, why the heck don't we have recreational marijuana? Use that tax money to bring down auto registration prices, and fund schools. I don't like smelling weed, but I don't like paying loads of money to register my car either.
That's the spirit we're talking about. People are seeing the youth energized by the integrity of the candidate and that's the kind of momentum the politics in this country needs. People getting excited about the process and willing to get engaged to unite together and vote for a candidate they believe in instead of one that they have to vote against as the lesser of two evils.

Old 04-04-2016, 02:50 PM

146 posts, read 220,472 times
^Sanders is not doing better than Obama did in 2008. Obama and Hillary were separated by at most 100 delegates at any give time and Hillary actually WON the popular vote.

Sanders trails Hillary by 250+ delegates and by 2.5 million (!!!) in the popular vote. Continually I'm stunned by Sanders fans and their bizarre relationship with reality.

This is coming from a Sanders voter.

I don't know, I'm kinda just letting go of his campaign. It's becoming the stuff of insufferable white suburban millenials- many of whom outrageously insult Clinton voters that carried her to victory in the south as uneducated/ ignorant to national politics (I realize she has her own irritating supporters). Wow, nice to know that you think votes from black people in the south have no rationality to their vote. It really speaks volumes that he's starting to attract a lily white base of pampered kids who seem to think it's their duty to tell people of Hispanic or African origin what to do with their vote. I realize it's not Sanders' fault, but we have to realize that his candidacy isn't exactly pragmatic. As such it riles up some extreme voters. Much like Trump. Only Sanders and supporters aren't brazen champions of bigotry; at least they wouldn't think they are.

Hillary may be a scarred, sometimes painfully secretive and evasive candidate, but I have watched each controversy come and go with the end result being the GOP caught with their pants down. She's not perfect and I'd like to see someone new, but she'd make a fine president and people who argue otherwise are just blinded by hatred of her or worse, political vanity. I'm over Sanders. He's just as much a politician as any - he's proven that by acting as though he's going to steal the nom from her at convention, despite his current - and clear - trailing in the popular vote. And yet, months ago his supporters were railing against the superdelegates for being undemocratic. Now he seeks to use them as a tool to try and win if he loses - among delegate and popular vote? And has the nerve to suggest he won't raise money for dems in the general? That's a tough sell buddy. He's starting to not make sense.

So whatever. I'm not Bernie or Bust. Screw that.

Last edited by MCOWPB; 04-04-2016 at 02:59 PM..

Old 04-04-2016, 03:06 PM

85 posts, read 63,205 times
What gets me is Sanders routinely brings in massive crowds that stand in line for hours to see him. I see Bernie stickers, hats, and signs everywhere. I have yet to see a single piece of Hillary merchandise anywhere. Sanders has raised so much money from individual donors it's insane that he isn't winning every state. Here is where it gets interesting.
All the states with numerous reports of voter suppression/fraud are "wins" for Hillary. Bill, illegally, showed up at 2 different polling locations. There are videos of Clinton supporters cheating. Arizona had a ridiculous amount of reports of suppression and fraud.
On the other side, when states don't have rampant fraud/suppression, Sanders wins by landslides.

You say Sanders supporters are ignorant of reality, but really, reality is not matching observation.
Sanders has far more individual donors than Clinton. Sanders has more Facebook likes, almost 1 million more. Sanders' smallest rallies dwarf Clinton's biggest. It does not add up at the polls.

We also have many many superdelegates that refuse to go to Sanders in states where Sanders overwhelmingly won. These are people who are supposed to represent their state and they aren't.

We have the media ignoring Sanders record breaking crowds. Coincidentally, Bill Clinton signed the telecommunications act that was supposed to improve the media but instead, and I quote
"“In many ways, the Telecom Act failed to serve the public and did not deliver on its promise of more competition, more diversity, lower prices, more jobs and a booming economy,” the group said. “Instead, the public got more media concentration, less diversity, and higher prices.”"
Source A 2005 report from public interest group Common Cause found that political forces blunted its impact.

We see NBC Universal, News Corporation, Turner Broadcasting and Thomson Reuters are among more than a dozen media organizations that have made charitable contributions to the Clinton Foundation in recent years, the foundation's records show.

Read more: Clinton Foundation donors include dozens of media organizations, individuals - POLITICO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: