Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 07:46 PM

10,864 posts, read 17,004,554 times

Advertisements

^ Sorry, no clue. Never researched it. But you can go through some job postings and find out.

But since I'm from Florida, I can tell you without hesitation that your cost of living will be far lower here -- unless you're living someplace like Ocala. And we don't have windstorm insurance to deal with. No natural disasters of any kind, really.

I don't like living here, and I cannot wait to leave. But if your main considerations are safety and income-vs.-cost-of-living, Las Vegas is a much better choice than most of Florida. If your main considerations are "quality of life" and "lots of interesting friends," then stay in Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2016, 07:48 PM

20 posts, read 32,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
I thought you had decided, after your last batch of posts here, to stay in Florida since you got a new job? What changed?

There are very good wage comparison sites out there so you can see, based on your particular skill set, what jobs are averaging. I, for one, like Glassdoor, as it has job reviews, as well as salary comparisons.

I moved here with a six-figure job that I kept, replaced it with another six-figure job while here (local company), and am starting a different six-figure job in an entirely new industry next week. It did, however, take me since January 18th when I sent my first resume to land this new job. That is much longer than I've experienced in other parts of the country.

Employers here are a bit of a different breed. From what I've read the labor pool is flaky, but I think it has rubbed off on the hiring personnel as well. I have been amazed at the lack of follow up and professional courtesy afforded by some of the companies in which I had interest.

To give you an idea about the market, I sent out 302 resumes. 190 were to companies who were advertising, the remainder were companies for whom I would have liked to work. I went on 42 interviews, and received 28 job offers. I turned down 27, primarily due to lack of total compensation offered.

The jobs are out there, but be prepared for a long and arduous journey finding the right one for you.
That's awesome! 28 job offers! Wow!

Old 03-30-2016, 07:53 PM

20 posts, read 32,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
^ Sorry, no clue. Never researched it. But you can go through some job postings and find out.

But since I'm from Florida, I can tell you without hesitation that your cost of living will be far lower here -- unless you're living someplace like Ocala. And we don't have windstorm insurance to deal with. No natural disasters of any kind, really.

I don't like living here, and I cannot wait to leave. But if your main considerations are safety and income-vs.-cost-of-living, Las Vegas is a much better choice than most of Florida. If your main considerations are "quality of life" and "lots of interesting friends," then stay in Florida.

Thank you. I'm sorry you don't like Vegas. It seems like an exciting place looking on the outside with lots of interesting night life and adventure. A great place to meet people from all over the world! Seems exciting to me! I may stay in Florida, but I think if you're in Vegas and have the opportunity to enjoy everything it offers, you're so fortunate!

Where would you move to if you could move away?

Old 03-30-2016, 07:57 PM

A tropical Pacific island with lots of elevation.

Last edited by ScoopLV; 03-30-2016 at 08:03 PM.. Reason: Looked at a freakin' globe.

Old 03-30-2016, 07:57 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,123,606 times
People here, from what I can tell, seem to be pretty crap. There's certainly no indication that there's anything near an educated populous here.

Old 03-30-2016, 08:04 PM

Floridians, by-and-large, don't enjoy a reputation as being a highly-educated bunch, either. But what I call the "signal-to-noise" ratio is far higher there than here.

Old 03-30-2016, 08:11 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,870,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissIrishLady View Post
It seems like an exciting place looking on the outside with lots of interesting night life and adventure. A great place to meet people from all over the world! Seems exciting to me! I may stay in Florida, but I think if you're in Vegas and have the opportunity to enjoy everything it offers, you're so fortunate!
I know the question wasn't intended for me. I just wanted to possibly comment on my 8 months.

I really did enjoy the strip when I was there. It's amazing the variety of people each day one can encounter. I believe about 40 million people visit Vegas each year which is 100,000 per day in the city.

I am a major extrovert and I love being around basically what is basically a huge diversity of social groups, cultures and looks of people in such a small area.

Flights to Vegas are very cheap and there are reasonable hotel rates to be had in the area.

I was in Florida myself for 2 months. Orlando, Tampa and Sarasota were the areas I visited. I always thought Florida had a dirty, trashy reputation but I was shocked how clean it was, how orderly it is and the people were far more polite and sane then I thought.

I couldn't even imagine what Orlando street sweeping and cleaning budget is. I don't think there is a city as clean as Orlando that I have ever seen. I doubt there is a medium sized city as clean as that anywhere in America. Las Vegas on the other hand is a bit dusty and dirty and doesn't seem to care.

The air in Orlando felt very, very clean also. Las Vegas on the hand is so very dry and dirty. The air in Orlando smelled like a tropical rain forest. Las Vegas air smells very dry and close to the strip it smells like sewage in the morning.

Florida also felt quite conservative as opposed to Las Vegas culturally. It felt quite wholesome compared to Vegas.

Orlando and Las Vegas are the most visited cities I believe. Orlando seems to do all it can to have a clean, shiny image for the tourists. Las Vegas in general doesn't really care about it's image as it is far, far more dirty, smelly and dumpy then Orlando was.

Old 03-30-2016, 08:18 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,301,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissIrishLady View Post

I would be giving up a nice and peaceful condo in a gated community, my little dog and everything I own for a change of scenery and something new, BUT if Vegas is going to offer more of the same as in crappy wages, etc. just like South Florida, then I'm probably better off just staying put. My heart might want a change but I might be duped by the "smoke and mirrors" charm and excitement that Vegas seems to offer.
Never give up the dog for a move anywhere. You get unconditional love from your pets and they will always love you the most. I do not see why you would even have to do that. Stay in your peaceful and safe condo. You have a good life right now, why change it?
If you do decide on a move, keep your condo, come on out and give it a test while bringing your little dog with you and see if it is a good fit. If it is not, then go back home and consider yourself lucky for what you have already.

Many people make the move out here and they become more unhappy than they were. This city is not for everyone. I sometimes wish I could move away, but I have another person to consider, and he loves it here. More opportunities for him here financially than moving back to southern Utah, a place I really liked living before here.

Old 03-30-2016, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
You have a good life right now, why change it?
She might be paying $35K per year for Windstorm Insurance from Citizens Property Insurance (the only game in town). That's what I was paying before I left. Make no mistake that it was part of my calculus to leave. (Not the biggest thing by far. But it was certainly a bill we looked forward to never paying again.)

Coastal renters pay that, too. It's just cooked into the rent.

Old 03-30-2016, 08:27 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,301,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
Las Vegas air smells very dry and close to the strip it smells like sewage in the morning.
Las Vegas in general doesn't really care about it's image as it is far, far more dirty, smelly and dumpy then Orlando was.
Sewage smell near the strip in the mornings: Homeless people using the sidewalks for their toilet.

Vegas being dirty, smelly and dumpy: Near the Strip, and downtown, the homeless thing. If you would venture to real neighborhoods far away from the so called glitz and glamour of the strip, you would find it's a whole other world. The further out you go to the perimeter of the valley, the better it gets.
By the way, we are in a desert. It will be dry and dusty, no getting around it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: