Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2016, 09:31 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,533,678 times

Advertisements

No Strip ... no Colorado River / Lakes ... in other words, none of the typical "Vegasy" stuff.

Challenge me with your most off beat, non main line recommendations.

We have 4X (but to be fair it's not a Rubicon ready rig ... but could do "light" off road).

I used to be a desert rat in my 20s.

Fire away folks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2016, 09:44 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,182,790 times
I enjoyed Nelson/eldorado.

There's also the wheel of misfortune.

Old 02-29-2016, 09:50 PM

550 posts, read 642,732 times
https://www.chinaranch.com/

Old 02-29-2016, 11:17 PM

3,598 posts, read 4,978,457 times
Pinball Hall of Fame
Mob Museum
Atomic Testing Museum
Sex Museum
Neon Museum
Go see a rock band play at Vamp'd
KISS putt-putt golf
Escape from a room: Live Escape Adventure - Home

Old 03-01-2016, 01:45 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,531,336 times
Right now is a great time to go to Death Valley to see the Superbloom. Wildflowers - Death Valley National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

There are lots of Ghost Towns around these parts. Since you mentioned Nye County, one nice ghost town you would probably enjoy a lot would be Belmont.

Belmont - Nevada Ghost Town

Since Belmont is not too far from Tonopah, then you could get acquainted with the Goldfield-Tonopah Metroplex. Actually they are to lively to be called ghost towns, but there are lots of ghosts there I hear. Tonopah is the County Seat of Nye County. Imagine living in the largest "city" in the county, Pahrump, and having to drive over 200 miles to the county seat. Nye County is over 18,000 sq miles, making it one of the largest in the country. In fact it's larger than a lot of states, and some countries.

Tonopah - Nevada Ghost Town

Goldfield - Nevada Ghost Town

If Pahrump is better for you, and you have a 4x4, you could go up the backside of Mt. Charleston. It's been a long time since I did that so I'm not sure the BLM keeps the road in good shape all the way over Wheeler Pass, but if they do, that's the only road from this side to that side. It's a dirt road that you'll find right in the middle of beautiful downtown Pahrump.

Also, not too far out of Pahrump on the old State Line Road, you'll find Ash Meadows. It's pretty cool actually. Ash Meadows National Wildlife Refuge - Ash Meadows - U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service

Before you get to Pahrump on SR 160, you'll come to a turn-off for Tecopa, CA. Go see the China Ranch Date Farm. You'll thank me later and brag about me to your friends.
China Ranch Date Farm

You might want to look up other columns by this lady. I'm not certain, but I think she wrote a book on Las Vegas day trips. Here's why it's called China Ranch.
China Ranch Date Farm prospers in remote oasis | Las Vegas Review-Journal

Once you've seen China Ranch, you can go left instead of right when you leave the ranch, and that will take you around into Pahrump. Check your GPS so I don't get you lost. But a trip to China Ranch is nice if you follow up with lunch or dinner at The Pahrump Winery. Don't spoil your appetite with a date milkshake at China Ranch, but do have one.
Pahrump Winery

Last edited by Buzz123; 03-01-2016 at 01:54 AM..

Old 03-01-2016, 01:54 PM

2,904 posts, read 4,605,074 times
do a brothel tour while you're in pahrump - no seriously, this is a legitimate thing. there are 2 brothels that do tours (at least there was before the lamar odom scandal).

pahrump has 2 wineries. one has a restaurant, both have tasting rooms.

the trail for wheeler pass on the pahrump side isn't the best & it's pretty rocky. but the lower half of the trail is pretty spectacular - the charcoal kilns are on the trail Wheeler Pass Charcoal Kilns, as is wheeler well Pahrump, Nevada - Experience The Endless Beauty of the Great Outdoors.

carpenter canyon

rhyolite - just 4 miles outside of beatty. pretty cool stuff to look at
Rhyolite Ghost Town - Death Valley National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

stock up on fireworks - we have a handful of fireworks stores that are open year round

visit the hot springs in beatty Home Page

spring mountain raceway https://www.springmountainmotorsports.com/

Old 03-01-2016, 02:57 PM

359 posts, read 366,459 times
christmas tree pass

Old 03-01-2016, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegas taco View Post
christmas tree pass
That's a good idea. I always forget about it, but it's a nice trip, especially in a 4x4. And at the other end we have probably more petroglyphs in one spot than any other location in the country. Well...maybe.

Old 03-01-2016, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8lite View Post
do a brothel tour while you're in pahrump - no seriously, this is a legitimate thing. there are 2 brothels that do tours (at least there was before the lamar odom scandal).

pahrump has 2 wineries. one has a restaurant, both have tasting rooms.

the trail for wheeler pass on the pahrump side isn't the best & it's pretty rocky. but the lower half of the trail is pretty spectacular - the charcoal kilns are on the trail Wheeler Pass Charcoal Kilns, as is wheeler well Pahrump, Nevada - Experience The Endless Beauty of the Great Outdoors.

carpenter canyon

rhyolite - just 4 miles outside of beatty. pretty cool stuff to look at
Rhyolite Ghost Town - Death Valley National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

stock up on fireworks - we have a handful of fireworks stores that are open year round

visit the hot springs in beatty Home Page

spring mountain raceway https://www.springmountainmotorsports.com/
I keep hoping to take that road again before I go wheels up. I think I'll just stop at the charcoal ovens. Wouldn't want to hurt my Highlander that I paid for four wheel drive on and have never used it.

Old 03-01-2016, 10:20 PM

529 posts, read 516,850 times
It is in Esmeralda County, but I highly recommend spending night in Goldfield. There is a new bar in town. There is a small Motel that is cleanmby the older saloon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas