Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 09:48 PM

4 posts, read 5,318 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,
My husband is being courted by a company in Vegas and we're expecting the official offer to come in March.
My parents moved there a couple of years ago so we've visited a lot. We know it's hotter than hot in the summer and cold as heck in the winter.

We have a first grader and a fifth grader. Sadly i have not heard good things about the Nevada school system and i'm trying to do as much research as i can. It seems the best options are in Summerlin. We like the area but there's just no space between homes and very small yards.
Wondering if there is another area we should look at that is family friendly, great schools and comes with a little more land. We're not looking for huge space i just would prefer not to be able to reach out my kitchen window and touch my neighbor! I hear mixed things about Henderson.

A few people have told us that charter schools are the way to go but they're all lottery based and we will not be out there until this summer. So that makes applying tricky as we are not residents yet.

Private schools could be an option if the price is right. But the whole purpose of this move is to better our situation and paying for private school for 2 kids isn't very appealing.

So i'm here to pick the brains of those of you already living there and ask for some honest, and real feedback.

Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2016, 10:01 PM

15,868 posts, read 14,495,108 times
The better schools in the Vegas metro area seem to be in the part of the city of Henderson just south of I-215. Sone developments there include Green Valley Ranch, Seven Hills, and Mcdonald Highlands.

And unless you get a custom home, which are not common, yards in Vegas tend to be small.

Last edited by BBMW; 01-12-2016 at 11:10 PM..

Old 01-12-2016, 10:02 PM

Thank you!

Old 01-13-2016, 12:39 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,128,823 times
BBMW lives in New York. Not that his advice is bad.

There are websites in town that rate schools. If you want more land than Summerlin or Henderson offer, look at the area bordering the 2-15 off of Lone Mtn. Rd. and the vicinity.

For the higher grades, explore the dedicated magnet schools.

Old 01-13-2016, 09:28 AM

792 posts, read 1,302,518 times
If your kids education is really that great a stressor...you answered your own question. Magnet Schools are not tricky...it's quite cut and dried, it's a lottery. Private School tuition is what it is and easy to determine without relocating first. It's not like "Let's Make A Deal"...it's very expensive, I know, I put two kids thru Gorman !

Primary and secondary educational stats, individual student funding, class ratios etc are all readily available on line....read them !

I personally know many people who have relocated here for as many reasons as people, however never, in 35+ years ever met one with their child's education being a primary reason.

Old 01-13-2016, 02:51 PM

661 posts, read 632,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
BBMW lives in New York. Not that his advice is bad.

There are websites in town that rate schools. If you want more land than Summerlin or Henderson offer, look at the area bordering the 2-15 off of Lone Mtn. Rd. and the vicinity.

For the higher grades, explore the dedicated magnet schools.
It took us 5 years to get 2 of my 3 kids in Magnet Schools. It is all lottery based. The level of academics and expectations are much higher in the Magnet Programs. My boy in the regular middle school has been slacking lately and not very motivated. I am hoping he will get into a Magnet for high school. On the other hand, my 2 girls are thriving at their 2 different magnet schools that they attend.

Old 01-13-2016, 05:27 PM

Thanks Everyone.

We are not moving because of education. We have a job opportunity that is great and it means a relocation to Vegas. I have read information and statistics online but i wanted to hear from people who are in the area, currently enrolled in the Clark County school system. There's more to a school than statistics. As with neighborhoods. What might look good online could suck in reality.
We cannot afford private schools and if the magnets and charters are that impossible to get into then i need to find the best public schools i can. And that is the feedback i was hoping to get in this forum.

Old 01-13-2016, 07:25 PM

792 posts, read 1,302,518 times
Just to clarify, I was not suggesting you were relocating based solely on the educational system. However you sound like a parent that cares and a child's education is a huge part of the equation. There are some very good public schools in Clark County, and some very professional educators within same. As a parent you have to differentiate between subjective opinion (a public forum) and factual statistics that do warrant close review. This city is very fluid and what is a great school now, could be much less in three years. New schools open as population and funding allow, educators retire, relocate...

With that said, no one can really foresee what the future will hold in any one given area...they can predict odds...wealthier areas tend to attract a better educational experience.

Public education is a hot button in this town. I for one fully support a quality educational system (public or private) and know there are others here that share my view...

Unfortunately many relocate here seeking low taxes, reasonable entertainment, moderate priced housing, and 325 days of sunshine ...that does not translate to a solid based educational system.

Every comparable city of this size will have good and bad...Your child's education is a one shot deal...the ultimate choice will be yours ! If your folks relocated here two years ago...ask them ...Best of luck !

Last edited by Irish4evr; 01-13-2016 at 07:38 PM..

Old 01-13-2016, 08:41 PM

63 posts, read 129,999 times
Green Valley Christian School in Henderson our son is in the 5th grade. Very reasonable in cost nurturing environment.

Old 01-13-2016, 09:59 PM

Thank you everyone
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas