Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2016, 07:11 PM

927 posts, read 886,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayway View Post
I don't know about "requires" but Clark High School, a CCSD magnet school that gets national mention has (could be had now...) a Math teacher with a doctorate that also got national mention. That having been said, I don't think they get even 1 graduate into an Ivy every year - maybe once every 3-4 years. Clark is no Bed-St(u)y...

Anybody know how Coronado High does in getting graduates into Ivies? It's in a high income area. Perhaps there is a Summerlin school that does well with the fancy schools? Green Valley High? Bishop Gorman probably sends several to the Ivies every year but it is private.

Whelp, I'm off to listen to that classic rock group, "The Whom." "Whom are you, whom whom..." <grumble> pedants <snicker babe ruth kit kat>
Clark HS has the most National Merit Semi-Finalists out of any high school in Nevada. It's all through their magnet program in mathematics, science and applied technology. In last years class alone, they had students who matriculated at Columbia and Princeton, as well as Johns Hopkins, Rice, and all of the top UC's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2016, 07:55 PM

347 posts, read 523,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8lite View Post
^^ rural? HA! clark county isn't anywhere close to being rural.
OK, I will admit I'm not an expert on Las Vegas. I've only been a visitor there. I've never lived there for a significant amount of time. However, could it be that by "rural areas" the poster is referring to less populated areas of Clark County? I looked at Clark County, Nevada on google maps and it appears that within the county, there are more rural, less populated areas. Now, compared to where I live now, these areas could be urban monstrosities. LOL. But compared to Las Vegas, maybe they are pretty rural. I don't know. I'm just speculating. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Old 01-13-2016, 08:08 PM

850 posts, read 1,028,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08grad View Post
Clark HS has the most National Merit Semi-Finalists out of any high school in Nevada. It's all through their magnet program in mathematics, science and applied technology. In last years class alone, they had students who matriculated at Columbia and Princeton, as well as Johns Hopkins, Rice, and all of the top UC's.
Thanks for the links 08. Looks like 2015 was a bumper year for Clark but I am pretty sure there were no Ivy admits in 2012, 2013 and 2014. I think CMU was the top school in 2014. I don't mean to sound elitist but going by Ivies is a quick/easy if one dimensional measure. Kind of surprised Bishop Gorman doesn't do better.

All in all, I come away still feeling kind of sad about EDU in LvNv...

Oh and about rural, does CCSD cover Indian Springs which is North of Vegas I forget if it is ~ 40 miles or 60 etc.

Last edited by jayway; 01-13-2016 at 08:28 PM..

Old 01-13-2016, 10:33 PM

2,867 posts, read 4,545,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio Montana View Post
OK, I will admit I'm not an expert on Las Vegas. I've only been a visitor there. I've never lived there for a significant amount of time. However, could it be that by "rural areas" the poster is referring to less populated areas of Clark County? I looked at Clark County, Nevada on google maps and it appears that within the county, there are more rural, less populated areas. Now, compared to where I live now, these areas could be urban monstrosities. LOL. But compared to Las Vegas, maybe they are pretty rural. I don't know. I'm just speculating. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
Ok, I'll admit - there are a few smaller areas, but imo, they are in no way "rural":

Moapa
Laughlin
Searchlight
Mesquite

I might have missed some, but each of these have a larger town/city within ~40 minutes.

Old 01-13-2016, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayway View Post
Oh and about rural, does CCSD cover Indian Springs which is North of Vegas I forget if it is ~ 40 miles or 60 etc.
it does, but there are no schools in indian springs - just a military base, couple of gas stations & rv parks. i know at one point there was a big master planned community going in, but then the economy went belly up & i'm not sure a single house was ever built.

Old 01-14-2016, 12:26 AM

529 posts, read 513,648 times
Quote:
^^ rural? HA! clark county isn't anywhere close to being rural.
You don't get out much do you? There is much more to Clark County than just the Las Vegas Valley. There are rural schools towards California, Mt. Charleston, Indian Springs, Mesquite, Searchlight, Laughlin and a few between LV and Mesquite.

Old 01-14-2016, 12:45 PM

LVPlayer - how about we agree with your idea of rural & my idea of rural are vastly different

Old 01-14-2016, 03:12 PM

529 posts, read 513,648 times
Quote:
LVPlayer - how about we agree with your idea of rural & my idea of rural are vastly different
Sure, you can define it any way you want, but CCSD specifically uses the word "rural" to describe these schools at the link in this thread pointing to the job listings.

Old 01-14-2016, 07:43 PM

850 posts, read 1,028,706 times
Quote:
it does, but there are no schools in indian springs - just a military base, couple of gas stations & rv parks. i know at one point there was a big master planned community going in, but then the economy went belly up & i'm not sure a single house was ever built.
There appears to be a CCSD presence in Indian Springs. K-12. Looks like some of the teachers are wearing many many hats. The high school math teacher looks like he coaches too. The sense of community must be off the charts - I wonder how many teachers commute in vs living out there. I find it quite charming. (not being snide)

Clark County School District - Indian Springs Schools

Old 01-14-2016, 08:57 PM

^^^ wowsers - in all the times i've wandered thru indian springs, i have never seen a school but i can't say i've been actively looking for one either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas