Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2016, 12:04 PM

55 posts, read 162,238 times

Advertisements

I stop at a c-store every morning on my way to work and EVERY time the person in front of me is paying with food stamps. It's so bad I've just now gotten to expect it. And all they do is buy junk food. Then pay cash for alcohol and tobacco. And I'm not talking about a few items, I'm talking bags and bags full of junk food.

Yesterday I thought took the cake. A woman with 4 kids buys her 10 bags of junk food. Then buys 2 cartons of cigs at $40 each and pays cash. Leaves and gets into her BMW.

This morning I thought this was a joke. Lady in front of me buys 8 (as in eight) bags of doritos. I assume she was a teacher or something buying them for a party and over a dozen bottles of soda. She is texting away on her Iphone plus. Pulls out her food stamp ebt debit card. Then the best part... goes out in the parking lot to get in her brand new Ford Taurus with temp tags.

I spoke to the manager of the c-store and he told me what he sees every day is friggin disgusting. All of these people are driving new cars, have coach handbags, Iphones and buy junk food with food stamps and then play video poker or buy cigs with cash. He said the employees joke that one of the requirements for food stamps is a new car. He also told me that the account balance prints on the receipts from the food stamp machine and he often sees balances of $1,000-$2,000 in these accounts.

As far as I'm concerned these people are nothing more than financial leeches. They should have their benefits yanked and face jail time for fraud. Foodstamps are for people who need help do to financial difficulty - not for people with Iphone and new cars. They should be used for HEALTHY food for children who are legitimately hungry.

Old 01-08-2016, 12:15 PM

4,944 posts, read 2,949,391 times
I think everyone on food stamps and government assistance should be sterilized. It would severely reduce crime and society would be better for it.

Old 01-08-2016, 12:23 PM

3,563 posts, read 1,885,277 times
Oh how I agree with the sterilization comment!
I also think fs should be limited to healthy food one must prepare, and lunch meat. Not chips, sweets, soda nor TV dinners.
I went from being middle/upper middle class my entire life to being low income in just the past two years.
I eat bologna, tunafish, drink water with lemon instead of Perrier, etc. I used to eat out 4X per week, now it's never.
I am not on fs I am trying to prevent applying for them or any assistance by living frugally.

No solutions, just a small rant

Old 01-08-2016, 12:34 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,072,874 times
Food stamps costs you close to nothing on your tax bill. I read the average person making 50K per year(big bucks here) actually pays $10 per year for SNAP. You will get a lot more back by complaining about the low wages here that let people qualify for food stamps when they work full time!

Old 01-08-2016, 12:38 PM

302 posts, read 474,965 times
My husband and I get $47 a month of food stamps. We are very careful with what we buy...milk, eggs, bread, potatoes, onions, stuff to make meals with. It helps us make ends meet to an extent, and we are grateful for them. We drive a crappy car that we can't afford to fix, and are barely making it.

However, I know there are folks out there that abuse food stamps, lie to get them when they aren't really needed, and make those of us who appreciate what we receive look bad.

Right before Christmas my husband went to the grocery store. The woman in front of him bought $600 worth of meat, including steaks, briskets, roasts, etc. and paid with food stamps. He was shocked that anyone could have that much money on food stamps, let alone use it to buy so much high quality meat. There are people like that out there for sure. But there are also those who really need the help, like us.

Old 01-08-2016, 12:38 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,146,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johntaylorny View Post
I stop at a c-store every morning on my way to work and EVERY time the person in front of me is paying with food stamps. It's so bad I've just now gotten to expect it. And all they do is buy junk food. Then pay cash for alcohol and tobacco. And I'm not talking about a few items, I'm talking bags and bags full of junk food.

Yesterday I thought took the cake. A woman with 4 kids buys her 10 bags of junk food. Then buys 2 cartons of cigs at $40 each and pays cash. Leaves and gets into her BMW.

This morning I thought this was a joke. Lady in front of me buys 8 (as in eight) bags of doritos. I assume she was a teacher or something buying them for a party and over a dozen bottles of soda. She is texting away on her Iphone plus. Pulls out her food stamp ebt debit card. Then the best part... goes out in the parking lot to get in her brand new Ford Taurus with temp tags.

I spoke to the manager of the c-store and he told me what he sees every day is friggin disgusting. All of these people are driving new cars, have coach handbags, Iphones and buy junk food with food stamps and then play video poker or buy cigs with cash. He said the employees joke that one of the requirements for food stamps is a new car. He also told me that the account balance prints on the receipts from the food stamp machine and he often sees balances of $1,000-$2,000 in these accounts.

As far as I'm concerned these people are nothing more than financial leeches. They should have their benefits yanked and face jail time for fraud. Foodstamps are for people who need help do to financial difficulty - not for people with Iphone and new cars. They should be used for HEALTHY food for children who are legitimately hungry.
Uh, you guys do realize that child support payments, when withheld directly from someone's check go on an EBT card? No one is getting 2000 a month in food stamps.

Old 01-08-2016, 01:51 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,130,535 times
Got to love ignorance and jealousy.

Complain about poor people getting help, ignore billionaires getting even more help.

Old 01-08-2016, 02:08 PM

2,413 posts, read 2,036,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post

Complain about poor people getting help, ignore billionaires getting even more help.
Warren Buffett, George Soros, Tom Steyer, Al Gore? Can you be more specific?

Old 01-08-2016, 02:54 PM

550 posts, read 638,916 times
How close do you have to be standing behind someone to see that they are swiping an EBT card? They look like any other debit card out there. I know because my 66-year-old mother who had a stroke 2 years ago gets a whopping $17 per month. Her only other income is disability. I know, because my husband and I buy all of her groceries. Where does this tired trope come from? This state is pretty tight with food "stamps", I mean food EBT cards.

Old 01-08-2016, 02:54 PM

4,944 posts, read 2,949,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post

The poor are poor due to the excessive amount of children they have. These children are more likely to become criminals and be a detriment and drain to society. Sterilize those on government assistance and watch their lives improve by leaps and bounds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: