Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2016, 09:46 AM

5,779 posts, read 14,670,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickydim View Post
Oh I forgot. He's gonna absolutely love Pizza, bagels and a NY Deli. Tell him to go to Coney Island for a hotdog and knish.
You do realize Poughkeepsie is upstate Ny right?

NLVGal, my father moved us from Connecticut to Florida in the mid 1990s for a reason....

Snow, cold, high cost of living, taxes, lack of employment opportunities, the list goes on

I certainly wish him all the best, and perhaps his point of view as a native Las Vegan is different, however I would never leave Vegas (if I still lived there) for the Northeast
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2016, 10:02 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,821,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
You do realize Poughkeepsie is upstate Ny right?

NLVGal, my father moved us from Connecticut to Florida in the mid 1990s for a reason....

Snow, cold, high cost of living, taxes, lack of employment opportunities, the list goes on

I certainly wish him all the best, and perhaps his point of view as a native Las Vegan is different, however I would never leave Vegas (if I still lived there) for the Northeast
Upstate NY is above Lake George and Lake Champlain he will be in lower mid NYS. NYS is a big state compared to the surrounding New England states.
One other thing tell your son to keep track of his vitamin D levels. You are covered up most of the time or it is overcast. Just look at the visitors from back East out here Burn and Peel .

Old 01-08-2016, 11:26 AM

472 posts, read 383,331 times
No, he's right. You're both right. Technically it's mid state, but by downstaters standards(cidiots and LIers) anything above Yonkers is upstate. And I know exactly where Poughkeepsie is, north of Bear Mountain south of Saugerties, but you think he'll never venture downstate to the city or Long Island? What's to do up there when you're not working or snowed in?

Old 01-08-2016, 11:37 AM

4,862 posts, read 8,014,967 times
Take him to home depot and tell him he has to get sized up for a shovel. He is going to get a rude awakening.

Old 01-08-2016, 11:52 AM

5,779 posts, read 14,670,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishspy View Post
Upstate NY is above Lake George and Lake Champlain he will be in lower mid NYS. NYS is a big state compared to the surrounding New England states.
One other thing tell your son to keep track of his vitamin D levels. You are covered up most of the time or it is overcast. Just look at the visitors from back East out here Burn and Peel .

Being a native of Fairfield County Connecticut, which is classified as part of the New York metro area by the U.S. Census, most people consider anything north of Westchester County to be upstate New York and Poughkeepsie is way higher than that

Old 01-08-2016, 12:20 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,248,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
Take him to home depot and tell him he has to get sized up for a shovel. He is going to get a rude awakening.
Well, his situation won't call for a snow shovel. He's going to be sharing an apartment with his brother and using public transportation. I thought my youngest would run home after a year, but he's stuck it out. The youngest, who is actually my stepson was raised in Santa Barbara and Vegas.

I'm thinking of leaving myself, next year. But not to the east coast!

Old 01-08-2016, 01:39 PM

14,228 posts, read 30,209,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Won't his wages be double as well? Everyone blasts LV for a shortage of college educated or IT workers in this valley, but the following job link is an example. They want a BS degree, ten years of experience, and Sigma Six certification. Responsible for multi- state implementations. Unskilled workers make a lot more, and no student loans.

Starting pay : 13.50 per hour + doe.

Mgr, Project - Patient Svcs - Las Vegas, NV (covers both Pacific NW and Nevada) Job | Beyond.com
^^^Yup! This is Vegas! I saw another one recently for a chemist, BS, MS preferred. $10 per hour.

Old 01-08-2016, 01:48 PM

28,804 posts, read 47,979,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
So my brat, who has never been out of the desert southwest, is moving to Poughkeepsie, NY.

He's excited to see snow, and trees.

I already warned him about leaving a libertarian state for a very regulated state ( they choked a guy out for selling loose cigarettes) the weather, and the sticker shock.

I'm hoping this will be a very positive experience for him, and that he will either decide that Vegas is in fact hell on earth, or he'll appreciate what he has come to loathe.

Not many native Las Vegans about, so I gave him a cap, and told him it would strike up conversations.

East coasters- what did I miss for my desert rat?
You don't watch the news here? They just shot an unarmed man here then came up with all kinds of bs stories about why it was required.

Old 01-08-2016, 03:48 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,248,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
You don't watch the news here? They just shot an unarmed man here then came up with all kinds of bs stories about why it was required.
I'm well aware of Metro's proclivities. Herderson PD as well.

It's just that this is a libertarian state. If you do something minor, nobody cares. I gather it's not like that in stop and frisk NY.

It's bad enough that he's smuggling his pet snake. I'm pretty sure that's highly illegal right there.

Old 01-08-2016, 04:44 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,549,561 times
There are just so many ways we get spoiled here that it's hard to tell which one will change his mind, but most are ready to come ack within six months usually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas