Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2015, 06:58 PM

10 posts, read 17,050 times

Advertisements

Hello all

We are Australians and just about to relocate to Nevada from the beaches! We are looking forward to this new adventure.
We are looking forward to arriving soon and was hoping if there is any other Aussie's on this forum or if someone could point me in the right direction on where to look. I'd love to get in touch... maybe even share a vegemite sandwich!!!
Also, we are hoping to get an opinion on two schools, for all you parents out there. David M Cox and Selma F Bartlett.
Thank you so much
Aussie

Last edited by Aussie1973; 11-22-2015 at 07:01 PM.. Reason: put in Nevada
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2015, 08:28 PM

10,864 posts, read 17,004,554 times
Since you gave me no clue where you're moving, I'm going to assume you're moving to the "town" of Rachel, Nevada.

1) Don't call the nearby super-secret military base "Area 51." People just call it "the installation."

2) The only pub in town is called "The Little A'le'inn." This is probably where you will spend most of your time.

3) There's a nice natural hot spring south of Rachel in Ash Springs. But it's closed because some rat-bastard vandalized the place.

4) You can drive to Las Vegas in about 2 hours. But there's no reason to do so because Las Vegas is the worst place in America. May as well stay in Rachel.

Old 11-22-2015, 08:58 PM

I'm sorry. Where is my head. We are moving to Henderson, Nevada. Well, I'm not sure you are going to be much help for us considering you think Las Vegas is the worst place on earth. Not good to hear, considering we are on our way there.

Old 11-23-2015, 08:29 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,791,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie1973 View Post
Hello all

We are Australians and just about to relocate to Nevada from the beaches! We are looking forward to this new adventure.
We are looking forward to arriving soon and was hoping if there is any other Aussie's on this forum or if someone could point me in the right direction on where to look. I'd love to get in touch... maybe even share a vegemite sandwich!!!
Also, we are hoping to get an opinion on two schools, for all you parents out there. David M Cox and Selma F Bartlett.
Thank you so much
Aussie
Based on the elementary schools, it looks like you're moving to my neighborhood. I live a couple blocks from Bartlett.

The neighborhood is Green Valley South, specificially, the Legacy subdivision. It's split by Wigwam, with the gated homes and golf course on the North side, and the ungated homes on the South.

VERY convenient area to many local amenities. We're 1 mile from the 215 which takes you in a loop around the valley. We're 10 minutes to the airport, 12 minutes to the south Strip, and 20 to downtown. Any of your basic shopping needs are within 5 minutes on Stephanie St. We don't have the excessive traffic about which many complain, as we rarely need to go anywhere near Eastern Ave., where the bulk of the delays that people talk about happen in Henderson.

Also, we are about 25 minutes from Arizona, and 30 from California, as we are SE of Las Vegas, and both are straight shots, so it's easy to get out of town for weekend trips if you desire.

The neighborhood is extremely safe, and primarily middle class families. LOTS of "Stepford Wives" in their SUVs taking their 2.5 blonde children to school. We've been in our house for 2 1/2 years. I watch the crime map, and get real time alerts if anything is reported. We've had 1 attempted burglary in a 3 block radius, a stolen car out of the supermarket parking lot, a noise disturbance about 6 houses down last year, and a domestic assault 2 streets over. We also have had a few accidents at the intersection of Wigwam/Green Valley Parkway.

Although I am not from Australia, and have no children in the school system here, if there is anything else you want to know, or want recommendations about local businesses or neighborhoods, just let me know.

Welcome home!

Old 11-23-2015, 09:35 PM

Raiderman

Thank you kindly for the lovely welcome and the information. Our house is near David M Cox school, located within the Legacy golf course. Sounds like we are on the North side of Green Valley and hopefully this is a nice area. I guess you can call me one of those wives with the SUV.. however, I'm a far cry from a stepford wife!!
What is the crime map? Is that something I should be aware of? Is that an App that I need to download.

We are arriving a week before our house is ready and staying at the Green Valley Resort, it will give us a good chance to have a look around and try and get our bearings. We are hoping to gain some recommendations for dentists, doctors etc. With a small child attending school, we will need a family doctor.

We have a big dog coming with us, he is our safety officer... so I'm sure he will be a fun addition to our neighbourhood.

Wow, I didn't reaslise that Arizona and California is that close and we will be making a few shorts trips.

I honestly appreciate all your help with regards to the amenities and traffic awareness. I'm sure there is quite a few other things I need to know or be made aware of... maybe the best places to buy electronics.

If you can let me know about Green Valley North, I would be very grateful.

Ta muchly

Old 11-23-2015, 09:53 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,791,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie1973 View Post
Raiderman

Thank you kindly for the lovely welcome and the information. Our house is near David M Cox school, located within the Legacy golf course. Sounds like we are on the North side of Green Valley and hopefully this is a nice area. I guess you can call me one of those wives with the SUV.. however, I'm a far cry from a stepford wife!!
What is the crime map? Is that something I should be aware of? Is that an App that I need to download.

We are arriving a week before our house is ready and staying at the Green Valley Resort, it will give us a good chance to have a look around and try and get our bearings. We are hoping to gain some recommendations for dentists, doctors etc. With a small child attending school, we will need a family doctor.

We have a big dog coming with us, he is our safety officer... so I'm sure he will be a fun addition to our neighbourhood.

Wow, I didn't reaslise that Arizona and California is that close and we will be making a few shorts trips.

I honestly appreciate all your help with regards to the amenities and traffic awareness. I'm sure there is quite a few other things I need to know or be made aware of... maybe the best places to buy electronics.

If you can let me know about Green Valley North, I would be very grateful.

Ta muchly
Hmm. If you're in Legacy Golf Course, you're across the street from me. Say hi to Gladys Knight for me, she's one of your neighbors.

Technically, Green Valley North's southern border is Windmill, so if you're in the neighborhood on the South side of the street, you're technically in Green Valley South, although there really isn't much of a difference between the 2 sides of Windmill.

I like Green Valley South over North, as there are fewer apartments, and it's a bit less populated, or so it seems.

Regarding crime, I use Alert ID, but it gets kind of boring, as the alerts are normally over a mile away, and are normally traffic related, or domestics in some of the apartments or homes in the adjoining neighborhoods. We've had fewer than half a dozen in our immediate area (the Legacy HOA).

For electronics, I always shop online, but there is a Fry's about 10 minutes away. They're a good source for some things.

Have fun at GVR. I'm there a few times a week, as it's only a mile away. The District is a small shopping area right out front, and they have some decent bars, restaurants and stores.

Old 11-24-2015, 01:54 AM

Raiderman
Thank you for your words but doing some research we don't seem to be in the same spot as your Gladys Knight. But thanks for the celebrity information. There seems to be quite a few famous people living in your town.

Thanks for the electronic information and Fry's is something my hubby knows about.

I'm sure we will enjoy our time there.

Take care.

Old 11-26-2015, 10:07 PM

611 posts, read 951,869 times
Just curious...since we are Canadian and part of the Commonwealth, what rules do you (Australians) have to follow to stay in Nevada for more than 6 months of 12? Did you get a work visa, SSNumber, or as an expat forego your citizenship and become American. Here in Canada I think we would lose our OA Pension as we have to have our Canadian citizenship to get the monthly cheques? We own a place in Vegas and I sure wish we could stay longer each year but are only allowed 183 days.

Old 11-26-2015, 11:32 PM

122 posts, read 123,916 times
We moved from Sydney (Pyrmont) in February this year.

Be prepared for a huge adjustment!

Old 11-27-2015, 10:26 PM

We ghave work visas and so we are okay to stay for up to just over 2 years at a time. We too have bought a house and we will be getting our child into school.

I can imagine it would be a huge adjustment. When you moved from Pyrmont, what was the biggest issue to overcome? Had you been there before?

I can only imagine the changes or adjustment, driving on the other side of the car on the other side of the road can be confusing. I'm going to miss the seafood.

We had been there in summer so I sort of remember how hot the place gets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas