Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2015, 01:05 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,591,869 times

Advertisements

Hey guys!

I got into my truck today and my radio doesn't play, well actually, it plays, I just can't hear anything. I went by a Best Buy and they said that it was probably the amplifier causing the problem. Unfortunately, I have 10 speakers in the truck and the amp that they sell will only handle 4 speakers.

So, can someone recommend a high-end car audio store that might have an amp that will handle all those speakers? I checked with Toyota and they said they can get me one, but it will cost $1100!!!!!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2015, 01:53 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,808,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johninvegas View Post
Hey guys!

I got into my truck today and my radio doesn't play, well actually, it plays, I just can't hear anything. I went by a Best Buy and they said that it was probably the amplifier causing the problem. Unfortunately, I have 10 speakers in the truck and the amp that they sell will only handle 4 speakers.

So, can someone recommend a high-end car audio store that might have an amp that will handle all those speakers? I checked with Toyota and they said they can get me one, but it will cost $1100!!!!!

Thanks!
I think you're confusing the number of channels with how many speakers it can power. A 2-channel can power 10 speakers. Your best bet is to get a good 4-channel for your speakers. If you have a subwoofer, I would recommend a 5-channel (4 stereo for the speakers, 1 mono for the sub). If no sub, just get a 4 channel and you'll be fine.

Old 09-17-2015, 02:14 PM

3,977 posts, read 7,658,923 times
Contact my buddies at;

Elite Audio and Customs
5053 S Decatur Blvd
Spring Valley, Nevada

Right off Tropicana and Decauter

Old 09-17-2015, 06:24 PM

Raiderman--you could be right, I know didley about car radios. I don't have a subwoofer so I'll look into the 4-channel. Macgeek, I'll call your guys tomorrow.

Thanks guys!

Old 09-17-2015, 11:21 PM

347 posts, read 543,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johninvegas View Post
Hey guys!

Thanks!
It's too bad those guys know nothing about stereos. Most cars don't come with amplifiers separate from the radio so maybe it's time to replace the radio in the truck. I don't know your truck specs but if you need to buy a new one, check out Frys Electronics.
or look online for used radios from the same truck. That maybe the cheapest option especially if your radio does more than the music such as nav, and other control.

Old 09-18-2015, 07:58 AM

Actually NoMore, my truck does come with a separate amp. I got the upgraded JBL system when I ordered it. I haven't checked with JBL to see if it's cheaper than the dealer, I am hoping that I can get something locally easier and cheaper.

Old 09-18-2015, 12:48 PM

3,681 posts, read 9,883,096 times
Another thing to watch for is that "10 speakers" may actually refer to driver count, and up to four of those drivers might be tweeters. And if it does, there's a chance that the stock setup might not use crossovers, and instead just drive each speaker with a full-range signal with a simple filter to keep unwanted frequencies from the driver. Or the amp might have a crude active crossover built into it (not that uncommon in upgraded factory systems) and drive the tweeters directly. Direct replacement of an amp like that might be tricky. So you might want to budget for a speaker upgrade too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas