Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 09:51 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,273,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Village Center has one. Went there once. Freaked at the prices. Never going back.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...egas+locations

I went to a couple of them in Tucson and found them to be substantially higher than Safeway stores in the area. I really had no desire to return. In the past month, they closed all three of their Tucson stores.

Here is coverage on the dispute:

MorningNewsBeat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2015, 01:42 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,290,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I went to a couple of them in Tucson and found them to be substantially higher than Safeway stores in the area. I really had no desire to return. In the past month, they closed all three of their Tucson stores.

Here is coverage on the dispute:

MorningNewsBeat

If they are higher than Safeway, they are REALLY expensive!

Old 09-04-2015, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
If they are higher than Safeway, they are REALLY expensive!

Compared to Phoenix and Las Vegas, Tucson is a pretty expensive place to buy groceries. Now if there was just a Winco Foods in town ...

Old 09-04-2015, 12:18 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,239,632 times
Going from 18 stores to approximately 164 in a short period of time is an unhealthy rapid expansion. The results are several stores closing, more stores likely closing, and exits from several markets.

Old 09-04-2015, 12:54 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,798,868 times
If you read the details of the complaint it would appear that Haggens is trying to set up a basis to rescind the deal.

Sounds like Haggens bit off more than it can chew and is now trying to either renegotiate the deal or can it.

I wonder if we are not looking at a likely Haggen BK.

Old 09-04-2015, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
If you read the details of the complaint it would appear that Haggens is trying to set up a basis to rescind the deal.

Sounds like Haggens bit off more than it can chew and is now trying to either renegotiate the deal or can it.

And there are even more allegations:

MorningNewsBeat

Old 09-10-2015, 08:30 AM

6,131 posts, read 7,985,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post

And the bankruptcy has now been filed. Of course, they are blaming Albertsons for that too. Which is funny, considering they also fired their "Southwest CEO" last week.

Old 09-10-2015, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
And the bankruptcy has now been filed. Of course, they are blaming Albertsons for that too. Which is funny, considering they also fired their "Southwest CEO" last week.

To me, Haggen's purchase was a joke. I have worked on several corporate mergers over the year and it is DIFFICULT to acquire and assimilate a company that is 25-50% of the size of the parent. However, Haggen was acquiring a business 10x its size. Small companes do NOT have the underlying infrastructure to handle that many stores. They would have been better off buying the stores in the region that they were familiar with.

Why not fire their Southwest CEO? They will not have any stores in the region after many of the stores have been shuttered.

One more thing. Ever notice that ANY TRANSACTION that Safeway does seems to turn to dirt. In the late 90s, Safeway acquires Dominick's Finer Foods in Chicago for $1.2B. At the time, they had a dominant market share in the Chicago area. By 2013, they shutter the chain and sell the remnants off for under $200M after turning down larger offers ...

Old 09-10-2015, 09:06 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,908,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
To me, Haggen's purchase was a joke. I have worked on several corporate mergers over the year and it is DIFFICULT to acquire and assimilate a company that is 25-50% of the size of the parent. However, Haggen was acquiring a business 10x its size. Small companes do NOT have the underlying infrastructure to handle that many stores. They would have been better off buying the stores in the region that they were familiar with.

Why not fire their Southwest CEO? They will not have any stores in the region after many of the stores have been shuttered.

One more thing. Ever notice that ANY TRANSACTION that Safeway does seems to turn to dirt. In the late 90s, Safeway acquires Dominick's Finer Foods in Chicago for $1.2B. At the time, they had a dominant market share in the Chicago area. By 2013, they shutter the chain and sell the remnants off for under $200M after turning down larger offers ...
The CEO, Shaner was only hired in December. Was expansion his idea or did he just executed the deal poorly?

Old 09-12-2015, 07:43 PM

16 posts, read 33,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisSuarez View Post
Haggen claims Albertsons gave them "inaccurate retail pricing information". How about some due diligence and researching it on your own folks? Six months post merger, and they are still trying to sell merchandise at uncompetitive prices.
Yep, they could have found out from the employees who were changing all the shelf price tags that every single item's new price was significantly higher under Haggen's tags.

Some of their items were even priced higher than at Gelsons and Pavillions in Southern California. So they can't expect former Vons\Albertsons customers in middle class neighborhoods to be to pleased and welcoming. I'm not sure how their stores are in Washington, but the way Haggens is set up, appearance-wise, staff, specialty items, etc, they're definitely going for a higher end type grocery store status than were the stores they bought. They did quite a makeover in the ones I've been to.

In Ventura and Santa Barbara counties in California, they caught some hell for laying off all the developmentally-disabled employees formerly hired by Vons, doing so under the guise that the job classification for the position those workers held (clerk assistant) would no longer exist. But when you go back to the store, those same tasks (bagging groceries, sweeping floors, fetching shopping carts, etc) are still being done, just by different employees who, apparently, are thought to be more becoming to the upscale image Haggen was seeking to demonstrate. IMHO.

Last edited by PizzaBelly; 09-12-2015 at 07:45 PM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: