Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2015, 09:37 AM

698 posts, read 987,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LV10101 View Post
Not sure if you understand the majority of students are have poor performances at CCSD...the drop out rate at CCSD is extremely high. Yes there are some schools and children that have successes but NOT the majority.

Furthermore what I decide to comment on is my decision. Someone made a post about Las Vegas and I felt I could add some discussion to the topic. Maybe take sometime to look around you and ask people how they feel about Las Vegas. Most of my co-workers hate it just as much as I do but some can't move at this time do to financials. If you like Las Vegas great, if you like this atmosphere great but please don't try to make Las Vegas out to be a good place to live because based on the statistics alone it is not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by qingguy View Post
Noodle salad man, noodle salad . . .
I'll get to noodle salad in a moment.

This is my last post actually the last time I'll open this thread, just not productive and is turning into a waste of time. In-fact I'll keep this short (man did I overshoot this).

Interesting timing of this recommendation, "Take sometime to look around" just happened to be at dinner with eight local friends when I saw this so I threw this topic out on the table. First some profiles and background all educated, two nurses, a CPA, two marketing types and a couple stay at home mothers. All relocated here from somewhere, Austin, Jersey, Orange County, Salt Lake and myself and my wife who have lived in multiple cities (interestingly enough, a couple that are on the top of those lists that are being posted). The consensus was all present enjoy living here and are happy here. No one has their heads in the sand regarding Vegas' challenges and knew them prior to moving here. However, for some the opportunities for them here outweighed the challenges. For instance, one mentioned real estate being a motivator, being able to purchase much more home/property for the same amount of money. Another more affordable which allows the wife to stay at home with the children which in Orange County wouldn't have happened.

All brought-up concerns with CCSD and one unbeknownst to us is actually very active in trying to create change; she attends any meetings that are open to the public, sounds like she's written hundreds of letters etc. trying to make a difference. All agreed that no matter what school district they have lived in parent involvement in their child education has been a must.

Two couples brought-up concerns with raising children in Vegas when they moved here; sin city and all the vices that are readily available and in your face. These are things that they and we deal with on a regular basis but all seemed to have decent strategies for this one being a strong home front and teaching strong moral and otherwise values and setting a good example for their children as being important as far as they're concerned.

One couple brought-up something that we experienced when we first moved here and that was unfriendly neighbors; when we moved here not a single neighbor came over and introduced themselves. Huge moving truck in front of our rental house, you couldn't have missed we were moving in and for two weeks not a single person came over to introduce themselves. So, doing what we do we printed out cards with out names and contact information on them, wife baked cookies and we walked around our neighborhood introducing ourselves to our neighbors. Some were friendly when they opened the doors, one wouldn't take the plate or the card with our information on it (that blew my mind, take it and throw it in the trash if you don't want it) and in the year we moved there it was the most unfriendly experience we have ever had. Where we came from we were used to neighborhood bbqs, if you're out on a walk on a weekend chances are a neighbor is going to stop you and chat with you, invite you into their garage for a beer etc. Not there, and this was a nice neighborhood we moved into! The day me moved out not a single neighbor came by and said a word, again, huge moving truck outside, several movers etc. and not a single person stopped and said, "so you're moving, good luck, glad to see you leave" nothing. Blew my mind. So glad we rented for a year prior to purchasing because we may have been stuck in a neighborhood like that, or maybe they knew we were renters, were short term renters so why invest in a relationship.

New neighborhood were we purchased our home AMAZING neighbors, the best! We'd met several before we even moved in and they were so friendly, offered help if we needed anything, to borrow tools if needed some, ladders etc. One neighbor had a bbq planed prior to us moving in, we'd been in a week and they invited us to it and we were able to meet the majority of the rest of the neighborhood (we live in a very small community). These people would do anything for a neighbor and I for them. I had an emergency trip come-up and there was a contractor working at my house that finished early and needed to be paid, I was able to just call-up a neighbor and ask him to pay my contractor several hundred dollars and I'd reimburse him, "no problem, don't worry about it, consider it done." Thank god we didn't buy in that first neighborhood.

I asked our dinner party if they had to do it over again would they move here. All but one couple said yes and the reason personal not related to the city.

Asked them about their experience at work, where they worship or socialize outside of the group there if they run into people who are miserable here and for the most part the answer was no. A couple people knew people who didn't like it here but they also thought these people would be miserable anywhere. In-fact, one of the nurses thought she knew a poster on here until she saw that their co-workers are also miserable but cannot leave due to finances and that profile doesn't fit where she works. If I was going to check on this thread again I'd ask what type of work this person is in where there are so many people who are miserable here but cannot leave due to finances, this came-up during our conversation and we had a few guesses but it would have been interesting to know.

So while not the sunshine pump in terms of Vegas as everyone admitted there are several opportunities for improvement here overall the majority said they'd do the move again.

In closing here's an observation from on of the marketing guys who has an undergraduate in psychology. He read several of the posts on this thread and here's his armchair quarterback assessment. Some posters who moved here probably made the decision on some if not all these factors; low cost of living, cheap housing, like vacationing here, entertainment its Vegas there has to be tons of jobs etc. At one point they were excited about the move, probably talked it up to family, friends, co-workers neighbors, may have had to talk a spouse into moving based on all the perceived positives at that time.

Then they get here and it's not what they thought, housing wasn't as cheap as they thought (I can't tell you how many times I've heard can't you buy a 5,000 sq ft home in Vegas for under $150,000?), mortgage companies aren't just handing out mortgages anymore, it's harder to qualify, they want larger down payments, require PMI etc., job market isn't what they thought it would be and wages are lower, kids have difficulty transitioning at school, their first summer was hell due to the heat (ours was), they're home sick, yes there's a lot of entertainment but that also involves expense etc.

So when they can't make it out here suddenly they've gone from telling spouse, friends back home, family how how great they're going to doing in Vegas and how great it will be to live where they love to vacation to we're leaving Vegas, we're getting out of here. And why are they leaving Vegas, oh the economy, housing, job market, there's nothing to do, it's hot, too much gambling, the school district etc. They have to take this approach rather than admit they failed and have egg on their face.

Here's where his physiology comes and and noodle salad. He said this person cannot accept that others made it and are happy when they could not. So, they throw out statistics, lists, surveys or other data trying to convince themselves and others, "look, you can't be happy here, look at the data!" and when people say, "no, I'm happy, it's worked, we're successful etc." they again, "no look here's more information as to why you can't be happy." When in reality, they're trying to convince themselves that it's these outside forces why they failed, not their fault. He also said there's not "arguing" with these people, they're miserable and want others around them to be miserable too and they'll attempt to argue you into that, in-fact, they upset, mad jealous because they couldn't pull it off. Leading me to noodle salad.

Prior to closing I apologize for any typos and grammatical errors, I wrote this quickly (went way longer than I had anticipated) and between checking on my four pork shoulders I'm smoking and getting things ready for a bbq pool party we're having today, again my apologies, hope it flows in-spite of my interruptions.He then brought-up a quote from the movie As good as it Gets and you know, it seems to make sense based on his assessment of this thread, even if it is from a movie. So my final contribution to this thread is this quote, "That's not true. Some of us have great stories. Pretty stories that take place at lakes with boats and friends and noodle salad. Just no one in this car. But, a lot of people, that's their story: good times, noodle salad. What makes it so hard is not that you had it bad, but that you're that pissed that so many others had it good."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2015, 09:57 AM

10,864 posts, read 17,012,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfinnova View Post
Scoop, the trouble is you are arguing with a STOP sign. You keep basing arguments on emotions rather than facts even when shown your blanket doom and gloom are not always the case or you simply deflect the point that I have shown repeatedly which is every city has issues especially when it comes to schools.

I simply don't understand your endgame, school systems are always the last in priority when it comes to government funding. It doesn't matter if it's a no state tax income state like we have or a huge tax state like Maryland which also has a higher foreclosure rate than Nevada. Does it suck, absolutely but until our "leaders" decide put schools ahead of wars or other stupid lobbyists, kids will still be stepped over.

Not only do I reject the notion that "it's bad all over" -- I utterly renounce it. That is the root of the problem. It is easier to excuse the problem and be an apologist for it than it is to fix the problem. Las Vegas is made up of people who wants things easy. And it's VERY easy to fail. We're content to sell future generations down the river because it might interfere with our ability to play video poker and suck down Marlboros.

And that's the point to this thread. People seem to think that because they like visiting (and I'll never understand what people see in the Strip as a vacation destination), that living here is just one big vacation.

You even admit that the problem exists -- "Does it suck, absolutely." So why aren't you on the "it sucks" bandwagon?

Nothing will ever be done until the masses agree that these things suck and not only do we deserve better -- that we demand it.

Old 08-02-2015, 10:12 AM

1,966 posts, read 4,346,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Not only do I reject the notion that "it's bad all over" -- I utterly renounce it. That is the root of the problem. It is easier to excuse the problem and be an apologist for it than it is to fix the problem. Las Vegas is made up of people who wants things easy. And it's VERY easy to fail. We're content to sell future generations down the river because it might interfere with our ability to play video poker and suck down Marlboros.

And that's the point to this thread. People seem to think that because they like visiting (and I'll never understand what people see in the Strip as a vacation destination), that living here is just one big vacation.

You even admit that the problem exists -- "Does it suck, absolutely." So why aren't you on the "it sucks" bandwagon?

Nothing will ever be done until the masses agree that these things suck and not only do we deserve better -- that we demand it.
Again, you are arguing with a STOP sign. What the heck do you think would happen if you got a sign and marched down to any government office to say "we demand better"???? You would likely be ostracized as some nutjob although your intentions are sincere and I don't doubt them in the least but our "leaders" no matter which party will back the horse which gives them the money. Again, it sucks but the issue is you are playing ostrich going "it only happens in Vegas" when it simply does not.

You are better than this, stop basing it on emotion!

Old 08-02-2015, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfinnova View Post
Again, you are arguing with a STOP sign. What the heck do you think would happen if you got a sign and marched down to any government office to say "we demand better"???? You would likely be ostracized as some nutjob although your intentions are sincere and I don't doubt them in the least but our "leaders" no matter which party will back the horse which gives them the money. Again, it sucks but the issue is you are playing ostrich going "it only happens in Vegas" when it simply does not.

You are better than this, stop basing it on emotion!
You read but you don't comprehend. I am not saying "it only happens in Vegas." Those are YOUR words. Not mine. While I care about what happens elsewhere, I don't LIVE elsewhere. I live here, unfortunately.

I have described many California desert towns as "crap-holes" that are worse than Las Vegas. There are plenty of places that are worse than Las Vegas.

There are also plenty of places that are better than Las Vegas.

Why should we have to settle for what we get? Maybe that's why Qingguy constantly references the movie "As Good As it Gets." Although I don't know why. Because Melvin Udall had to learn to be introspective, improve himself, and evolve beyond his petty prejudices in order to be happy. I saw that movie, too.

Inertia is very, very easy. While I have no intention of grabbing a sign and a pitchfork and marching on city hall, I have every intention of continuing to point out the problems as I see them here and elsewhere. I do what I can to fix these problems. There are a few crack houses that aren't crack houses anymore because I think globally but invest locally.

I refuse to settle. And that's why I'm leaving just as soon as it's the responsible thing to do. I don't think this city has the ability to improve. It would take wholesale change on the part of the majority of its residents.

Last edited by ScoopLV; 08-02-2015 at 10:37 AM..

Old 08-02-2015, 10:52 AM

1,596 posts, read 2,815,537 times
Count me in for Noodle Salad. Good stuff, qingguy. You wrapped things up nicely.

Bill

Old 08-02-2015, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTES View Post
Count me in for Noodle Salad. Good stuff, qingguy. You wrapped things up nicely.

Bill
The problem with this is that it assumes that it's the "people who had it bad" are the complainers because they're jealous. What of the people who had it good who think everyone should have equal opportunity? (Not equal outcomes, mind you. Just the opportunity.)

Old 08-02-2015, 11:05 AM

1,596 posts, read 2,815,537 times
Your candle does not burn brighter when you extinguish the light around you.

Bill

Old 08-02-2015, 11:08 AM

Are you suggesting that Las Vegas is a beacon of excellence? We're the "shining city on a hill?" What then?

Old 08-02-2015, 11:19 AM

4,505 posts, read 6,489,773 times
Can we just have a "What Scoop doesn't like" thread and stop turning every single LV thread into why he hates it here?

We "get it" Scoop you hate it in LV...so why don't you move?

Old 08-02-2015, 11:23 AM

1,966 posts, read 4,346,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
You read but you don't comprehend. I am not saying "it only happens in Vegas." Those are YOUR words. Not mine. While I care about what happens elsewhere, I don't LIVE elsewhere. I live here, unfortunately.

I have described many California desert towns as "crap-holes" that are worse than Las Vegas. There are plenty of places that are worse than Las Vegas.

There are also plenty of places that are better than Las Vegas.

Why should we have to settle for what we get? Maybe that's why Qingguy constantly references the movie "As Good As it Gets." Although I don't know why. Because Melvin Udall had to learn to be introspective, improve himself, and evolve beyond his petty prejudices in order to be happy. I saw that movie, too.

Inertia is very, very easy. While I have no intention of grabbing a sign and a pitchfork and marching on city hall, I have every intention of continuing to point out the problems as I see them here and elsewhere. I do what I can to fix these problems. There are a few crack houses that aren't crack houses anymore because I think globally but invest locally.

I refuse to settle. And that's why I'm leaving just as soon as it's the responsible thing to do. I don't think this city has the ability to improve. It would take wholesale change on the part of the majority of its residents.
Well good for you, hope it works out for you. You'll eventually see that the grass is not always greener on the other side.

But just to prove my point again, here is a lengthy post from the L.A. forum. As I read other threads, I thought now who does this sound like?

https://www.city-data.com/forum/los-a...est-if-27.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas