Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 04:51 PM

39 posts, read 67,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by logline View Post
You'll miss your financial stability more.
The financial stability won't be an issue. There are more opportunities for my career back home and part of the plan is to secure a new job first then put it up for sale. I will have enough in savings to cover the move and both rent and mortgage at the same time until it sells. According to my agent most homes arent sitting more than 30 days with exception of escrow timeframes.

Back there Ive got silicon forest at my disposal so to speak.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2015, 05:43 PM

12,908 posts, read 28,091,109 times
So you need to sell for about 170 to get out of it.....heres the issue in my opinion. Years ago they were buying sight unseen. The investors are scarce now. The house has to appeal especially since yours is old....I wish you good luck.... 30 days? You need a lot of luck.

Old 03-27-2015, 05:48 PM

2,880 posts, read 2,830,013 times
market is still plenty hot, if the house is somewhat clean it will sell. talk to a realtor about getting some comps to see what you should realistically get

most houses just need fresh paint, new carpet and perhaps some yard work

Old 03-27-2015, 07:03 PM

12,908 posts, read 28,091,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaSupreme View Post
market is still plenty hot, if the house is somewhat clean it will sell. talk to a realtor about getting some comps to see what you should realistically get

most houses just need fresh paint, new carpet and perhaps some yard work
Did you read the first post?

Old 03-27-2015, 08:10 PM

10,864 posts, read 17,056,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logline View Post
You'll miss your financial stability more.
Financial stability is a mindset. Anyone who can do it here can learn to be financially stable anywhere. Just keep lowering expenses and raising income until the numbers work.

As for the house -- sell it as is. The OP is not going to make back 100% of ANY of those things. (Except paint. And paint waits until after most of the rest is done.) OP, take the loss and go if you really want to leave. You're going to get a ton of low-ball offers. Just ride it out in this rising market until someone offers something close to realistic.

I'd only fix curb-appeal and listing-photo items that might drive more traffic to your listing. But do have a clear idea of what the $/sqft is in your area, and what the damage is going to do to that number. Because you're in investor territory and that's how investors think -- $/sqft and rent potential.

Old 03-27-2015, 08:58 PM

1,374 posts, read 2,446,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillk6751 View Post

-The roof has 3-4+ layers and has one small leak over MBR.

Are you sure this house is in Vegas? I never heard of 3-4 layers roof here (tiles)?

Old 03-27-2015, 09:25 PM

10,864 posts, read 17,056,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott456 View Post
Are you sure this house is in Vegas? I never heard of 3-4 layers roof here (tiles)?
Home Depot roofing job -- slap one layer over the other. Saves time and money!

Old 03-30-2015, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Home Depot roofing job -- slap one layer over the other. Saves time and money!

Yeah, Henderson. It is asphalt shingle. Unfortunately the 'flipper' that sold it to us was an out-of towner, and was coordinating the flip remotely. The flip job was sub-par and the appraiser reflected that in his decision. For the yard, the front is still legally grass, but they covered it (bermudagrass) with gravel without using a weed barrier. They installed new carpets, painted everything white (except for the kitchen cabinets, which got an 'espresso' paint). We had to fight him to replace the water heater, and to fix a slab leak (which is warranted for 10 yrs at least). They brought a few other things up to code (fire door between garage and house, smoke detector, etc) as well. The house came with basic appliances (cheap stove and dishwasher) which we replaced with nice Whirlpool SS ones.

We've talked to our REA, and she has connections to different contractors around the valley. Aparently she said we can get the roof done for about $1k, full strip and replace (I guess they buy material in volume). I didn't think I could get it done for less than about $3-4k by myself, or like 10-12k by professionals. We priced out a kitchen, and we're looking at about $1500-2000 for cabinets from HD (unfinished oak ones shown on their website) and figuring about $1000 for countertops if we shop budget at Walker Zanger's warehouse (seen countertops from $12-15 psf).

As far as flooring is concerned. We originally wanted to convert the LR/hall carpet to bamboo, but considering the move we're thinking when LL has sales (or even Floor and Decor) on laminate for <$1 psf we might consider that.

We're seriously at this point considering renting it out, if we can wait long enough for the FHA / DPA live-in requirement to expire. If I get close to breaking even or paying out less than $200/mo or whatever to cover most if not all of the mortgage for a year or two until it appreciates enough + equity built to sell it for a decent return, that would make us happy enough.

Old 03-30-2015, 11:49 AM

I just made some calls to my mortgage company and the company that manages the DPA fund. It seems that I'm cleared for the possibility of renting.

The typical rent (according to zillow) is about 1138. That puts me a little over break even month-to-month if a management company is willing to charge 5% and a little under if they charge 10%.

So any repairs that come out of rent would be a loss, but in the long run if I let the value increase and get more equity, I can sell when it's more economical to do so.

Old 03-30-2015, 12:17 PM

14,228 posts, read 30,126,823 times
Good luck!

Back in the day when the RE market was hot it was common to have agents calling or knocking on the door asking if you were thinking of selling. I got one of those calls today!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: