Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2015, 07:26 PM

10,864 posts, read 17,004,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
God bless the ethnic markets.
I go to Cardenas every week, and 168 every other week. And I'm almost always the only white person in the store.

And by the way the clerks at Cardenas treat me, they don't see a whole lot of güeros, and actually interact with fewer still. Living in the Latino quarter is seriously one of the few bright spots in an otherwise dreary existence in Las Vegas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2015, 08:10 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,132,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
I go to Cardenas every week, and 168 every other week. And I'm almost always the only white person in the store.

And by the way the clerks at Cardenas treat me, they don't see a whole lot of güeros, and actually interact with fewer still. Living in the Latino quarter is seriously one of the few bright spots in an otherwise dreary existence in Las Vegas.
I go to La Bonita. Because of the location, it's a pretty diverse group of shoppers. It's right across the street from Sprouts and very close to Chinatown. The produce prices are out of this world. I like the chicken and beef there as well.

It's a hike for me though. I only go when I'm on that side of town for some other reason. The side of town I'm on is pretty, and quiet, and convenient to exactly...nothing.

Old 10-23-2015, 02:21 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,300,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
I'm really curious to see who will take over the Vons stores that were sold to Haggen. Some people on Nextdoor don't understand that the FTC made Albertsons get rid of the stores - they think they could turn back into Vons or Albertsons.

I'd be happy to see Raley's or one of its other brands (Bel Air, Nob Hill) move into this area. I always liked their stores in the SF Bay Area and Sacramento for everyday shopping. It's not quite a Wegmans, but much closer than Albertsons, Vons, or Smith's.
We used to have Raleys back when we moved to the valley in the beginning of 2000. It packed up and moved on a few years later. That was our favorite store. It used to be at Ft.Apache/Sahara.

Old 10-23-2015, 10:23 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,879,709 times
Quote:
East Las Vegas is anything east of I -15.
Oh No! Seven Hills & Anthem Country Club are east of I-15!

Old 10-23-2015, 12:38 PM

529 posts, read 512,818 times
Quote:
Not that F&E or Haggen were at all competitive in the market, but with both of them failing at the same time that Von's and Albertsons merged and Smiths killed Food For Less, our very competitive grocery market has gotten much less competitive.

God bless the ethnic markets.
And a successor is not as likely after two niche grocers collapsed in the market.

Old 10-23-2015, 01:13 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,867,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
We used to have Raleys back when we moved to the valley in the beginning of 2000. It packed up and moved on a few years later. That was our favorite store. It used to be at Ft.Apache/Sahara.
Somehow I'd forgotten that. I'm pretty sure I shopped there a few times, given that it and the Albertson's across the street were the closest supermarkets to our house until the Sprouts on Sahara opened. Must be because I've blocked that whole period from my memory. Well, I guess it's unlikely they'd want to reenter this market, after having sold their stores to Smith's nearly 15 years ago.

Old 10-23-2015, 01:25 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,132,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Oh No! Seven Hills & Anthem Country Club are east of I-15!
Not sure how that quote got hosed, but I Did NOT say that!

Old 10-23-2015, 01:42 PM

10,864 posts, read 17,004,554 times
The shuttering of the better markets is a symptom of not just what I consider a societal deficiency, but a real sickness.

But we still have an embarrassment of riches when it comes to most food. (Not dairy or seafood, unfortunately. Unless you have an "in" with Pacific Seafood, the good stuff simply isn't available. If anyone does have an "in" with those guys, I'd appreciate a DM. And good dairy simply doesn't exist in America.) But for everything that doesn't swim or come from an udder we have:

Money no object? Artisanal Foods.

On somewhat of a budget? Village Meat and Deli

Looking for that comfort food from [insert-country-here]? International Marketplace

And then we have the Latino and Asian markets, which really should be everyone's go-to for basic food shopping. (Even if you have money to burn, these are still the places to go for Buddhist chickens, really good produce and similar.) And I know that people aren't shopping here because I see mostly Asians in the Asian markets and mostly Latinos in the Latino markets. I'll never understand why people will pay 10 times more for the exact same food. Their aversion to the ethnic markets is inexcusable.

It seems to me that people are desperate for a one-size-fits-all Las Vegas grocery store. And that simply isn't going to happen. Each market has their specialty. I wouldn't go to Cardenas for kobe beef. And I wouldn't go to Artisinal for chile peppers.

Old 10-23-2015, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Not sure how that quote got hosed, but I Did NOT say that!
post 22

Old 10-23-2015, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
And then we have the Latino and Asian markets, which really should be everyone's go-to for basic food shopping...
Unfortunately, since I live way south in the Seven Hills area, the closest to me that I've found is still a good half-hour drive away (Mariana's, Eastern @ Flamingo). There is a Haggens that will soon close at Bicentennial @ Anthem Parkway; I've heard a rumor that Mariana's might take the location, but I fear that is just wishful thinking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas