Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2008, 08:04 AM

542 posts, read 1,929,878 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to Vegas in July of 08. I have been looking at condos in the Southwest area of town. The places I've seen have been priced decently (in my opinion) at 900 per month for 2 bed/2 bath. I will be coming with my daughter who will be entering the 5th grade. I have a question for those who live in the area both with and without children. How do you like the area? What schools would you recommend in the area? Of course I would like the best school possible.

I also have a question regarding out of district permits. How does that work in Vegas? Where I'm from in order to get an out of district for your child you have to basically use someones address in the district of the school you want your to child attend. How does it work in Vegas?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by movingon2vegas; 01-14-2008 at 08:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2008, 08:22 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,402,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingon2vegas View Post

I also have a question regarding out of district permits. How does that work in Vegas? Where I'm from in order to get an out of district for your child you have to basically use someones address in the district of the school you want your child attend. How does it work in Vegas?
Same in Vegas- you either go to the school your house is zoned for, or you illegally use someone else's address- not a very good idea.

Old 01-14-2008, 11:03 AM

12,908 posts, read 28,016,929 times
private school, the only way in vegas.. vegas is not known for schools

Old 01-14-2008, 12:21 PM

572 posts, read 1,685,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingon2vegas View Post
I will be moving to Vegas in July of 08. I have been looking at condos in the Southwest area of town. The places I've seen have been priced decently (in my opinion) at 900 per month for 2 bed/2 bath. I will be coming with my daughter who will be entering the 5th grade. I have a question for those who live in the area both with and without children. How do you like the area? What schools would you recommend in the area? Of course I would like the best school possible.

I also have a question regarding out of district permits. How does that work in Vegas? Where I'm from in order to get an out of district for your child you have to basically use someones address in the district of the school you want your to child attend. How does it work in Vegas?

Thanks in advance.
I'm still a part-time resident (hopefully moving there permanently by the end of 2008 *fingers crossed*), but I can tell you my opinion about the southwest area, since we've owned property there since 2003. In my opinion, it's great - there is basically everything that you need, such as shopping, restaurants, etc. all in the area. What I like best is that it's close enough to the strip, yet far enough away that you really don't need to go anywhere's near the strip/downtown unless you want to. There is a LOT of construction still going on (at least in my neighborhood), but it's grown so much over the past few years, it's incredible. I have all the major supermarkets (Vons, Albertsons and Smiths) within a 5-10 minute drive. Everything else is pretty much local as well. Either slightly east towards Rainbow and Buffalo, or going north towards Summerlin.

From what I've seen 800-900 is the going rental rate for condos in the area. I know that's what the condos in my development are renting for. If you haven't decided on a place yet, there are a lot of good developments south of 215 on Rainbow, Durango and Ft. Apache (89148/89113 zip code?). I'm not sure about the schools in the area (one of the other members could probably tell you more), but I do believe that there's an elementary school on Maule(?), and a Jr. High on Quaterhorse. I do know for a fact that the high school in my area is Sierra Vista, over on Robindale and Durango.

I've noticed a lot of young families with school-age children in the area, I don't know about the whole 9 month vs. 12 month school thing though.

Hope that helps somewhat. Good luck with the move!

Old 01-14-2008, 05:06 PM

72 posts, read 279,109 times
I live in that area and my son goes to Judith Steele Elementary...he likes it and his teacher is great. Alamo is also another school in that area and I think it is ranked pretty high (Steele is brand new).

I love this area. I think I'm getting a little ripped on rent (possibly because I now work at a realty company and see going rates first hand...lol) at the moment and will move this summer when the lease is up, but I will definitely stay in the Nevada Trails, Coronado Ranch, Rhodes Ranch area.

Old 01-14-2008, 06:54 PM

24 posts, read 143,139 times
I recently moved to the very southwest and really love it. From where I live, it's a solid 5 minutes (door to door) to the nearest big stores but I don't mind because I pass by anything I need on my way home. It is far enough from the strip to be quiet and safe but close enough to be 30 minutes max to everything I want to to do in town (if you are coming from a big city or any place with a moderate amount of traffic, a 30 minute commute is probably not as big deal.) I don't have school aged kids but I know all the schools over here are brand new and from the demographics of my neighborhood, I might venture to guess that the parents are somewhat involved (usually = good schools.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas