Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2015, 03:45 PM

15,881 posts, read 14,529,165 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking of a couple of places I've seen both in and out of Vegas. To a certain extent, you had to be there.

I have no problem with a high quality, tasteful, if fairly neutral remodel. What I'm talking about is when someone goes so far into their own taste that no one else would want it. Think a 50's-ish woman who did a "princess" bathroom.

[quote=Marioni888;38727547]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
have been redone is a vastly overpersonalized way by a homeowner who now wants way too much for their piece of art, quote]

What do you call "piece of art" ?

Installing shutters, hard floor or laminate, tile in bathroom or kitchen,investing in keeping their front/backyard nice ...

If your answer is yes then sorry my friend, but that is not piece of art , that is something every house here (or at least in Summerlin and Henderson ) should have.

Many houses here are owned by people not investing in their property and then they ask their selfs why their house is not selling.

Why someone does not buy cheaper house and invest rest of money for upgrades instead buying house in expensive area and keeping their property like junk.

I live in nice Summerlin area and 2 of my neighbors already got HOA letter to fix their front yard (which is not maintained for months and because they don't care and wont pay money to someone to maintain it).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2015, 04:26 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,772,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Should have gone to a walk-in clinic instead. American emergency rooms are the most expensive healthcare in the world. ERs are for burns, gunshots, cardiac arrest, bee stings (for those of us who are allergic) and similar.

Stitches? Not so much.

The reason our healthcare system is so fundamentally broken is that people without insurance options go to the ER for non life-threatening problems. That puts unnecessary strain on the hospitals. That $4K bill was justified. My in-laws are mostly ER doctors and nurses. They get paid whether or not the hospital gets paid. And then the money for their salaries, and all the equipment that they use comes from property taxes.

Let's compare it to cars.

If my daily driver breaks down, I'm not going to take it to an exotic performance shop (the ER). I'm going to take it to my local mechanic on Nellis (the urgent care clinic). If for some bizarre reason, the performance shop was mandated (and taxpayer funded) to take every car that came in, it stands to reason that many people would do just that. People would take their commuter car to the Lamborghini dealership for routine oil changes. Wait times at the Lamborghini dealership would become unnecessarily long. Meanwhile, the people who actually own Lamborghinis would be stuck waiting while the mechanics are forced to change the oil on a 20 year old VW Jetta.

My in laws -- both current and retired -- have been at it a long time. The whole family is in that line of work. The problem, they say, is that they're seeing way too many people. And they're seeing way too many people who would be better off going anywhere other than the ER.
Sounds like a great idea unless you are new to town, are watching your wife bleed like crazy, and have no idea where anything is.

You go to the closest place Google shows you.

Old 03-07-2015, 04:45 PM

10,864 posts, read 17,018,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Sounds like a great idea unless you are new to town, are watching your wife bleed like crazy, and have no idea where anything is.

You go to the closest place Google shows you.

It would have cost a couple hundred bucks at the local 24-hour urgent care clinic. There's one in basically every neighborhood in the valley.

And your wife would have been seen sooner than at the ER. People who are profusely bleeding go to the head of the line at the care clinic (ahead of the people with the flu and routine ailments). At the ER, people who are merely bleeding wait behind the heart attacks, strokes and gunshot victims. (As they should. The ER is first and foremost a place for saving lives.)

I have first hand experience with the difference -- I went to the ER in Florida for an unbelievably high fever. I had no idea what was wrong, other than running a fever of 104f. Turned out to be a relatively common ailment. Cost? $2,400. That was 15 years ago. Had the exact same thing happen last year. Went to the 24-hour care clinic -- $200. And my insurance covered it minus a $20 co-pay. Now, whenever I need medical attention immediately but my life isn't in imminent peril, I head to the clinic. There's one within walking distance of my house on Hollywood.

You could have Googled "Urgent Care" instead of a hospital, after all.

Old 03-07-2015, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott456 View Post
well...then there should be a triage service at ER to send non-life threatening patients (ie, stitches) to urgent care units.
Don't ya think?
Do hospital management even bother to improve their system??
They're not allowed to turn anyone away. People -- particularly illegal immigrants -- utilize the ER as their urgent care clinic because nobody can FORCE them to pay.

It drives me nuts that so much of our property taxes are wasted on treating indigents who have the flu at the ER instead of treating them for one tenth the cost at a clinic. Same with minor fractures and cuts. The ER simply wasn't designed to handle that kind of crush.

It's not that I begrudge people receiving medical care -- only the most heartless Libertarian would suggest that these people should find someplace to quietly die. It's that they're using the ER instead of much, much cheaper and much, much more convenient options. This is an awfully short sighted policy. A short sighted policy that is EASILY corrected.

Old 03-07-2015, 05:47 PM

48 posts, read 64,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
It would have cost a couple hundred bucks at the local 24-hour urgent care clinic. There's one in basically every neighborhood in the valley.

And your wife would have been seen sooner than at the ER. People who are profusely bleeding go to the head of the line at the care clinic (ahead of the people with the flu and routine ailments). At the ER, people who are merely bleeding wait behind the heart attacks, strokes and gunshot victims. (As they should. The ER is first and foremost a place for saving lives.)

I have first hand experience with the difference -- I went to the ER in Florida for an unbelievably high fever. I had no idea what was wrong, other than running a fever of 104f. Turned out to be a relatively common ailment. Cost? $2,400. That was 15 years ago. Had the exact same thing happen last year. Went to the 24-hour care clinic -- $200. And my insurance covered it minus a $20 co-pay. Now, whenever I need medical attention immediately but my life isn't in imminent peril, I head to the clinic. There's one within walking distance of my house on Hollywood.

You could have Googled "Urgent Care" instead of a hospital, after all.

Easy to say in hindsight, however when someone is bleeding profusely and you have no idea how deep the cut is or if it cut a vein, sometimes you just search for the nearest healhcare facility.

You have to remember, that not everyone is as great as you are (or at least as great as you think you are)

Old 03-07-2015, 07:20 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,772,730 times
That's the point I was trying to make. Not sure why it went past scoop

Old 03-07-2015, 07:35 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,176,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingtoLVinAugust View Post

Easy to say in hindsight, however when someone is bleeding profusely and you have no idea how deep the cut is or if it cut a vein, sometimes you just search for the nearest healhcare facility.

You have to remember, that not everyone is as great as you are (or at least as great as you think you are)
Is your nearest healthcare facility a hospital?

I have to pass two care clinics before making it to the closest hospital.

Old 03-07-2015, 11:58 PM

645 posts, read 709,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieJeff View Post
It's hard to justify from a dollar standpoint, investing in a property, unless you plan on staying there a long time, the place is in really bad shape, or you're just doing it to suit your own likes regardless if you get that money back.

In my experiences, upgrading a property that may be historically dated (adding granite, replacing flooring, updating cabinets, etc.) adds nearly zero to the sales price. It will sell faster, but generally speaking not for any (or much) more money.

Sales price seems to be 95% = location x square footage.

So what upgrades will improve the sale price?

I got all stainless steel appliance in kitchen now, previous owner had those and they are almost 10 years old. Microwave is going bad I wonder if I should replace microwave and other kitchen appliance with higher end stainless steel too or just use average ones. Kitchen is important right? have nice things there it will improve the house's value?

Old 03-08-2015, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingtoLVinAugust View Post

If the ER patched me up, I wouldn't call them "greedy" when I got the bill. They're supposed to be expensive, after all.

Old 03-08-2015, 04:03 AM

176 posts, read 264,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marioni888 View Post
When I was looking to buy my home last year we visited at least 20-30 houses in Summerlin area.
Price range was between 200-300 k.
95% of houses were so ugly inside and outside (backyard).
I think current owners didn't invest 1 dolar into their homes in last 5 years .
We would invest at least additional 10.000$ before deciding to move in.
I cant understand someone having large backyard and having only small and big rocks there. No grass,plants.... Nothing..Just ugly rocks.
We came to conclusion that Summerlin residents that own houses worth up to 300k don't invest penny in their property , because of thinking "im going to sell it soon anyway and price would be the same anyway".
Every house that looked nice (with shutters,tile,wood floring ) was selling very fast.
I cant understand people owning 300k home and not investing money to ENJOY their property.

We ended up buying house for 260k and invested 20k for fixing/upgrades.
First things we did was repairing garage door and remote (owner said "we are parking our car outside and don't open the door very often!" , installing new laminate (old laminate was badly demaged by kids and owner said it was too expensive"), fixing hot water in one bathroom/shower (owner said shower in other bathroom is "just working fine!!").....
The median property value for Summerlin in 89135 and 89138 last year was well above 300K so I would imagine houses that are 200-300K would not be houses that are in the best shape. I think you may have had a different experience if you looked at 300-400K.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas