Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 01:00 PM

114 posts, read 120,054 times

Advertisements

So we are in the throws of searching for a home in Las Vegas, and our goal is to find a home we like, that does not have an HOA associated with it. That being said, in the event that we find a house that is absolutely perfect, but has an HOA, what would we be getting ourselves into? Exactly how scrutinizing our the HOA commities? is it relative to what the HOA fee is? I understand that their purpose is to uphold the asthetics of the neighborhood, and as such keep up the value of the homes, but We'll be damned if we are going to have someone tell us when and what color we can or can't paint our house, or have to go through a commity to ask if we can plant a bush. We are not buying our own piece of property so that we can come home every day to a new note on our door telling us what we need to do with our property.

Also, here (in VA), the HOA neighborhoods are not as prevelent, but if there is an HOA fee, it is to cover things such as the external part of the home (town houses), or to cover snow removal, and other care of the neighborhood streets as well. Do the HOA fees in LV happen to take care of any part of the property.

Again, our goal is to avoid an HOA alltogether, which I think is possible, but we want to have all our basis covered.

Last edited by RCIS719; 01-12-2015 at 01:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2015, 07:29 PM

427 posts, read 630,416 times
You're looking for a one-size fits all situation with HOA's. It doesn't work that way.
Different communities have different CCR's. HOA's are different in each community as well.
Some HOA's strictly enforce the CCR's, some are lax, and some only enforce certain rules.
Some fees are low, some are high. Some fees include guarded gates, security patrol, pools, clubhouses. Some have no amenities.

I LOVE living in a gated HOA community. I like the fact that the yards are maintained, houses are maintained, there are no boats/cars on blocks in the driveway or in the yard, and no long line of cars parked along the street because garages are filled with junk.

I checked the CCRs before I bought and the rules seemed reasonable to me. My big concern was about my 2 large dogs. Again, not rules I couldn't live with ... keep dogs leashed off property, clean up after them, don't allow them to bark incessantly.

Sure I have to ask permission for any changes to the exterior of my house .... that's fine by me. It helps maintain my property value. My previous home in LV was outside an HOA ... never again. I prefer rules and rule enforcement.

If you find a home that you like and it IS within an HOA, talk to the neighbors about enforcement and the 'personality' of the HOA, look over the CCR's to see if there's anything you can't live with, and check the financials.

Good luck!

Old 01-12-2015, 07:55 PM

215 posts, read 350,565 times
If you're buying a single family home, the HOA fees cover signage and common area upkeep for the most part. If you buy a condo, it includes whatever amenities are in the community and exterior building things like roof repair. I work for a property management company and work with HOA violations on a daily basis. I have seen almost every type of violation in existence including ones for speeding over 35 mph, parking on the street, driveway oil stains, leaving phone books outside, and almost any landscaping issue imaginable. Find out if you can see the rules and regulations before making an offer on a property. The CC&Rs usually cost money to acquire, and you might not be given access to them until you're legally tied to the property.

Old 01-12-2015, 08:04 PM

427 posts, read 630,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy506 View Post
Find out if you can see the rules and regulations before making an offer on a property. The CC&Rs usually cost money to acquire, and you might not be given access to them until you're legally tied to the property.
At closing it's a requirement that you have received and understood the CCR's.

Old 01-12-2015, 08:17 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,798,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longton52 View Post
At closing it's a requirement that you have received and understood the CCR's.
It is a requirement that you receive specified documents. It is not required that you understand them...merely that you don't object. If you do object you can call off the deal for five days after you receive them.

The trick with most HOAs is to read any rules and regulations and, if you care, the architectural review board rules.

Also HOAs are not always called HOAs. I have seen full blown HOAs in well agreements. And note there can be sizable restrictions in CC&Rs even though there is no HOA.

So read the docs you get...

Old 01-12-2015, 10:25 PM

927 posts, read 883,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longton52 View Post
I LOVE living in a gated HOA community. I like the fact that the yards are maintained, houses are maintained, there are no boats/cars on blocks in the driveway or in the yard, and no long line of cars parked along the street because garages are filled with junk.
And I'm the opposite. I HATE living in an HOA because even with a rule in the CC&Rs that state "you cannot put things in your garage and park your car in the driveway", even with a picture that shows the neighbors doing this with a two-car garages, and even after filling out all the forms to formally request a complaint, there is NO ENFORCEMENT.

When there is a rule in HOAs saying "no noise-making devices outside" and the other neighbor has SEVEN wind chimes hanging from there tree, there is NO ENFORCEMENT.

Then there's the community pool. Where we encounter in our 3 annual visits there...

1 - Locked gates propped open as non-residents bring friends over for parties (probably happens in every HOA)
2 - Dogs swimming in the pool next to a sign that says "No Pets"
3 - Open alcohol in the pool when there's children swimming next to them
4 - Stereos blasting in front of a sign that says "No Stereos"
5 - Old dudes in speedos tanning as if they are a model (not a rule violation but ewwww)

We apparently have security cameras at the pool but do we enforce anything? Nope.

And I don't live in a bad part of Vegas. All the schools my property is zoned for rate 10/10.

Old 01-12-2015, 10:38 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,798,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08grad View Post
And I'm the opposite. I HATE living in an HOA because even with a rule in the CC&Rs that state "you cannot put things in your garage and park your car in the driveway", even with a picture that shows the neighbors doing this with a two-car garages, and even after filling out all the forms to formally request a complaint, there is NO ENFORCEMENT.

When there is a rule in HOAs saying "no noise-making devices outside" and the other neighbor has SEVEN wind chimes hanging from there tree, there is NO ENFORCEMENT.

Then there's the community pool. Where we encounter in our 3 annual visits there...

1 - Locked gates propped open as non-residents bring friends over for parties (probably happens in every HOA)
2 - Dogs swimming in the pool next to a sign that says "No Pets"
3 - Open alcohol in the pool when there's children swimming next to them
4 - Stereos blasting in front of a sign that says "No Stereos"
5 - Old dudes in speedos tanning as if they are a model (not a rule violation but ewwww)

We apparently have security cameras at the pool but do we enforce anything? Nope.

And I don't live in a bad part of Vegas. All the schools my property is zoned for rate 10/10.
Wrong HOA. Or fix the one you are in. Try the Ombudsman. No joy get a lawyer, try letters and then sue.

Sometimes you have to stand up for your rights.

Another way is get on the board or get some friendlies on it. If it annoys you there are likely lots of others.

Those who don't participate suffer.

Easiest way though is to move. Lots of HOAs of the hard nosed type.

Old 01-13-2015, 03:44 AM

114 posts, read 120,054 times
Wait, lvoc, so a neighborhood can have cc & r even if they don't have an HOA?! Should a property specify that it does not have an HOA, how could you tell if it still has cc & r? Don't get me wrong, we are responsible people that keep our property well maintained, and we are not noisy, disorderly or have disorderly pets, but if we are going to own our property, we don't really want to be told what we can or cannot do to it, or on it.

At what point in the obtaining a property process can a cc & r be made available to the prospective buyer? Is it not until an offer is made, or is it available upon viewing the property?

Old 01-13-2015, 05:59 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,141,481 times
The majority of people just adapt to the rules they find themselves in. Unless you're retired or unemployed, who has time to be an activist? One thing you can do is talk to people who actually live there about the hoa. Lift the rug and look underneath, turn the light on and see the roaches scatter.

Old 01-13-2015, 07:24 AM

1,073 posts, read 1,043,241 times
Just keep in mind that when you state you don't want someone telling you this or that, or leaving notes on your door every day about this or that...as long as you are okay with:

The couple across the street parking their project Jeep in their driveway, and their every day cars on the street in front of your house. For as long as you live there.

The guy next door who has rented 3 of his 4 bedrooms to 3 different tenants with 3 cars. For as long as you live there.

The family with 3 young children who keep the trampoline and a few dozen toys in the front yard because the back yard has a pool. Until the kids grow up.

The mechanic who runs an unlicensed shop in his garage, and keeps reportable quantities of oil, waste oils, transmission fluid, coolant and solvents stacked in his garage and every time the wind blows, you and your family get an infusion of toxic odors. For as long as you live there.

The family who loves to decorate for every holiday and simply keeps the Halloween decorations up until Christmas, then keeps Christmas up until Easter. For as long as you live there.

The family that leaves their large, brown or green trash cart on the curb and ferries trash from the house to the curb so they don't have to smell the dirty diapers and food waste rotting in the desert heat. For as long as you live there.

If you really, really don't care about what your neighbors are doing, and you don't think whatever that is will affect you or the value of your home, then go for it!!!

There are some intrusive HOAs, and there are some with long CC&Rs that are ignored...tough to know how it plays out unless you know someone in the neighborhood, or your agent knows the history of the HOA management. Also, there are often municipal ordinances and zoning restrictions that sometimes help with things like unauthorized businesses, noise and animal nuisances, which I recommend you research alongside any CC&Rs before buying. You might soften your stance on HOAs to open up the available properties in your search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: