Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 01:19 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,812,569 times

Advertisements

I'm with Raiderman. Living in a part of the country where we had to drive 80 was not fun. Through Illinois and Iowa (especially Iowa) it is terrible. We would find ways around it whenever we could.

I forgot how far east you are. We were pretty much stuck with 80, and once past Omaha it's a much easier drive traffic wise. That was 1 1/2 hours for us
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2015, 01:21 PM

2,794 posts, read 2,942,659 times
AAhhh ok I see how much farther south I-40 is now... interesting. I'll have to take a lot of factors into consideration when we get on the road. I'm a big weather freak so I'm always on top of the weather... I'll have to see what things are looking like across the country during the time-frame we're on the road and take all that into consideration, but thanks for the heads up on 40.

I may end up taking 70 all the way to St. Louis until I hit 44 and then take that down to Oklahoma City where that connects to 40 and then take that the rest of the way... hmmmmmm... decisions, decisions.

Old 02-05-2015, 01:28 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,808,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psurangers11 View Post
AAhhh ok I see how much farther south I-40 is now... interesting. I'll have to take a lot of factors into consideration when we get on the road. I'm a big weather freak so I'm always on top of the weather... I'll have to see what things are looking like across the country during the time-frame we're on the road and take all that into consideration, but thanks for the heads up on 40.

I may end up taking 70 all the way to St. Louis until I hit 44 and then take that down to Oklahoma City where that connects to 40 and then take that the rest of the way... hmmmmmm... decisions, decisions.
Not a bad route. We moved here from Rhode Island, but wanted to visit with friends in Ohio on the way, so ended up taking 80 to Toledo, then down to Nashville where we picked up the 40. From where you are (assuming Lehigh), it's 100 miles longer to take 81 to 40, as opposed to 80 to St. Louis and down to Oklahoma City.

Old 02-05-2015, 01:49 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,812,569 times
Drive around St. Louis, not through it. Word from the wise, and experience.

Old 02-11-2015, 08:48 AM

Well we just got back from Vegas last night after spending 3 days out there and we had a successful trip.

Locked a home rental in Summerlin and we even locked in getting day care for our child at the KinderCare Facility in Summerlin as well not too far from us.

Our home is conveniently located right near 215 so it's easy access for me to get on that road and get down to the strip, the drive is no different then what I currently do here in PA to work so it'll be easy to handle.

All-in-all very happy with everything... now the hard part... the MOVE... t-minus 9-days!

Old 02-11-2015, 11:28 AM

29 posts, read 34,594 times
You're braver than I am. My wife and I are leaving--driving--from West Virginia in about 2 hours to make the drive for Vegas. I start my new job on Monday, and she's finishing out a contract here in WV. When we do fully move we're renting one of those cube things. No WAY am I going to try to figure out how to move everything across the country lol.

Best of luck to you, and if I see you on the Strip (I'm working for MGM International) I'll buy you a drink

Old 02-11-2015, 05:02 PM

13 posts, read 11,321 times
Default Are you guys using movers to truck your belongings across country?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacklivesalone View Post
You're braver than I am. My wife and I are leaving--driving--from West Virginia in about 2 hours to make the drive for Vegas. I start my new job on Monday, and she's finishing out a contract here in WV. When we do fully move we're renting one of those cube things. No WAY am I going to try to figure out how to move everything across the country lol.

Best of luck to you, and if I see you on the Strip (I'm working for MGM International) I'll buy you a drink

If so would appreciate rough costs with the various companies and your experience -

thanks,

Old 02-11-2015, 05:24 PM

10,864 posts, read 17,038,629 times
Read the website movingscam.com and then select a moving company.

Old 02-12-2015, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livintheratrace View Post
If so would appreciate rough costs with the various companies and your experience -

thanks,

For us we are doing the move ourselves... I didn't get a good vibe from the various moving companies that would haul everything for us, and it seemed as if it was done on THEIR terms. We want and need to be there at a certain time and I just don't trust a company that has all of our stuff to do that.

Besides, doing it ourselves is HALF of what moving companies and even PODS quoted us... so sure it's a helluva long drive and it'll be a grind but I'd rather keep the few extra thousand dollars in my pocket. It also helps that we'll have others with us taking the journey so we can rotate driving shifts.

As others have said though.... just beware... and do diligent research.

Old 02-12-2015, 07:29 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,808,415 times
New England to Las Vegas. ABF U-Pack (trailer dropped off, I loaded, they drove, I met them here and unloaded). 18 linear feet (18' x 8' x 9') - $2500. Wife, dogs, and I drove across in our SUV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas