Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2014, 07:39 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,152,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
Do not toss food into a neighbor's yard for their dog without the neighbor's approval. That's just common sense for God's sake.
I wasn't suggesting that they didn't talk to the neighbors first, buzz. I didn't think that had to be spelled out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2014, 03:46 AM

822 posts, read 2,206,764 times
The OP grew up with usually having two or three dogs, however the OP lived on a farm in a rural area so the OP's dogs barking couldn't be heard by any neighbors b/c the closest neighbor was a mile away. The OP obviously doesn't have issues with dogs themselves. The possible issue is the noise that a dog that continuously barks all hours of the day and keeps the neighbors awake while they are trying to sleep can make. If the dog is only out a few times a day and throws some barking here and there it's not a big deal, however when you work graveyard shift b/c our town is in fact a 24 hour town, you need to be able to sleep in your own house that you are paying for with the job you need the sleep for. The issue isn't usually the actual dog itself, it's the owner not taking responsibility for the noise that the dog can make and the impact that noise can have on neighbors.

Old 10-19-2014, 09:24 AM

930 posts, read 1,821,117 times
The worst is when your neighbor leaves their dog outside during normal sleeping hours. even with earplugs is hard not to hear the incessant barking. But playing loud music with thumping bass that penetrates walls is probably worse.

Old 10-19-2014, 02:49 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,401,749 times
O/P, you'll get used to city life. Don't borrow trouble where none exists. Once the dogs get used to having you there, and especially as they mature, they won't bark incessantly unless locked out. Then I would expect the neighbors to fix that situation. In a case like that they don't know if they've been left alone forever, or if their master is coming back; so, like wolves, they bark as a way of calling to the pack. We have doggy doors, and ours come and go as they please. But they aren't running out and barking at every little sound. If they are out and hear a noise coming from the other side of the wall, they might yap twice and run back in the house to tell me about it. If you are sleeping and not outside there is nothing for them to bark at. But if they are barking when you are inside asleep, I'd check to see if I had a burglar snooping around.

Old 10-20-2014, 10:16 AM

461 posts, read 668,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juxtaposition109 View Post
Do any neighborhoods in Las Vegas have anti-barking laws for neighbors who are dealing with their neighbor's dogs barking all the time? Is this something that the numerous HOA's deal with? We were doing a home inspection on a house we are interesting in buying and noticed a large dog in the back yard next door that was barking like crazy. I know people would say the easy solution is to pass on the house, however I would say that regardless of where you have a house the neighbor's could potentially get a noisy dog so I'd rather research the problem up front.
Ok, as I was reading this I thought my neighbor had penned this. Last week "Sam" complained about my dog barking and called the animal cops. Sam had complained 6 months before to hubby about dog barking with a very acidic attitude. So with this same attitude Sam complained to me when I was sitting in the front yard entertaining guests and dog was in the backyard barking at the strangers. Had Sam been a bit sweeter I would have complied, but I let the dog continue to bark.

The animal cop came and told me a neighbor complained about the barking and that there was a ordnance about barking, but the ordnance didn't say for how long or how often. In other words it's a gray area and I continued to let the dog bark. Funny thing is that Sam also has dogs.

Perhaps you could ask the current owners if the barking dog is a nuisance to them?

Old 10-22-2014, 05:56 PM

822 posts, read 2,206,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvette8 View Post
Ok, as I was reading this I thought my neighbor had penned this. Last week "Sam" complained about my dog barking and called the animal cops. Sam had complained 6 months before to hubby about dog barking with a very acidic attitude. So with this same attitude Sam complained to me when I was sitting in the front yard entertaining guests and dog was in the backyard barking at the strangers. Had Sam been a bit sweeter I would have complied, but I let the dog continue to bark.

The animal cop came and told me a neighbor complained about the barking and that there was a ordnance about barking, but the ordnance didn't say for how long or how often. In other words it's a gray area and I continued to let the dog bark. Funny thing is that Sam also has dogs.

Perhaps you could ask the current owners if the barking dog is a nuisance to them?
I have asked but logic would suggest to me that since the seller wants to sell the house, the seller isn't going to be very open about things that may deter me the buyer from buying the house.

Old 10-22-2014, 06:56 PM

2,880 posts, read 2,817,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
Dogs bark mostly when left alone. They are calling for the pack. But, dogs are supposed to bark. It's their job to guard the den.
not true. some breeds, like my Shiba Inu almost never ever bark.

Old 10-22-2014, 10:53 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,974,084 times
I had a friend who told me a story about a barking dog. it barked all night, every night. One night it was bark, bark, bark... then a single shot rang out...

Old 10-22-2014, 10:56 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,430,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
I had a friend who told me a story about a barking dog. it barked all night, every night. One night it was bark, bark, bark... then a single shot rang out...
Can't wait for karma to pay a visit to the shooter.

Old 10-23-2014, 08:08 AM

461 posts, read 668,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juxtaposition109 View Post
I have asked but logic would suggest to me that since the seller wants to sell the house, the seller isn't going to be very open about things that may deter me the buyer from buying the house.
You could ask the neighbors on the other side? Or do a drive-by at times to check it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas