Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 01:07 AM

776 posts, read 785,344 times

Advertisements

We have a house we love but could use some additional space. We have a pool and spa in the back yard but do not use it as much as we could because we have to traipse through the whole house after swimming. Was thinking that a climate controlled patio adjacent to the house might be a solution? If would need to be usable all year round and have outdoor access to the pool. Any ideas? Easier to move? Thanks all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2014, 10:44 AM

427 posts, read 636,297 times
I think you're kidding yourself .... if walking thru the house is too much of an effort to reach the pool, you'll come up with a different excuse when you build the addition.

As for the addition, you need to get a cost for the architect, permits/fees, and construction. The overall cost might exceed the resale value of the house. OTOH, if you plan to stay in the house forever, recovering the cost might not be as important as ENJOYING your home and having it the way you want it.

Old 10-06-2014, 12:51 PM

14,228 posts, read 30,212,164 times
If it's really the inconvenience factor, put in another door to the back yard. Won't cost anything compared to the project you are contemplating. I took out one door and added French doors. We have access to the pool/patio through those doors as well as another door that leads in to the master bath so swimmers have easy access to a bathroom.

Old 10-06-2014, 01:10 PM

561 posts, read 690,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado Baby View Post
We have a house we love but could use some additional space. We have a pool and spa in the back yard but do not use it as much as we could because we have to traipse through the whole house after swimming. Was thinking that a climate controlled patio adjacent to the house might be a solution? If would need to be usable all year round and have outdoor access to the pool. Any ideas? Easier to move? Thanks all!
What exactly the nature of the objection to "traipsing" through the house after swimming? Concern about tracking water? Provide towels and a pool mat. Want to change before going in? Erect privacy dressing screens. Cold? Provide a heater. Is it the pathway through the house itself that's the problem? Then follow yellowsnow's suggestion and install a new doorway. But a climate-controlled patio? Are you serious?

If you're bound and determined to have some sort of structure out there for all 4 seasons, install a stand-alone gazebo. I think whether you need a permit or not depends on whether you're going to install plumbing, lighting, etc. but I could be mistaken, since I'm not a construction guy.

Old 10-06-2014, 03:03 PM

654 posts, read 1,256,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado Baby View Post
Wow, thats great, bragging about your home and your luxury lifestyle, you ought to get Robin Leech out there to so he can give you some pointers...

How about selling your property and buying one that has everything you want?....

Old 10-06-2014, 05:17 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,552,614 times
We don't have four seasons here. We have summer and January.

Old 10-06-2014, 05:35 PM

687 posts, read 4,417,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzz123 View Post
we don't have four seasons here. We have summer and january.
lmao!

Old 10-07-2014, 02:38 AM

776 posts, read 785,344 times
Ok guys! A two season extension...I stand corrected! I really wanted some ideas on what might be feasible. Am I understanding correctly that desiring an extension beyond standard tract builder models is not appropriate if we want to stay in the house? Or is it? No one who lives here has a luxurious lifestyle. But we have been smart with money and property and have not sunk ourselves into debt or filled our home with consumer junk over the years, so we have resources for this. We don't want to move but the house was designed without practical access from the pool to bathrooms, for example. All the short term fixes are tried and true, like towels and mats, but that is not the point......This question was asked in the spirit of what the possibilities might be for this idea. I see garage conversions all the time for more space, why not something like this? It is a two story house so another thought was combining the patio with a balcony and stairs to the second floor. Thanks for any positive, creative suggestions!

Old 10-07-2014, 03:47 AM

1,030 posts, read 1,609,917 times
We too have a two story home with all the bedrooms upstairs. We wanted something on the main floor that goes out to the pool. We had room to build on the left side of our home to build out.

We are just finishing up a 330 sq ft master bedroom/casita which is on the main floor with a slider out to the pool. We ran it up to the setbacks and it has a shower and toilet, two sink vanity and central air. Building in Henderson is not for the faint of heart. There are 19 different inspections which luckily most of we passed the first time. It's basically a separate structure attaching to the wall of the existing living room with a pass through door. It wasn't an easy job as the sewer is under the driveway slab and had to be jackhammered out to attach to the new bedroom. I am happy with the results. Still waiting to finish. Have tile floor and tile shower left. Also added led strip lighting to soffit ceiling.

Just an option for you. Looks like final price will be around $60k with granite, tile and stand alone a/c and furnace. It's a fair amount more than I planned to spend but we upgraded a lot. I got at least two bids on every major part of the job and added low e plus windows also. Alot of expense went to the removal and replacement of the driveway and trenching back to the bedroom. If you went builder basic on everything and used a mini split a/c I suspect you could do the job for $45K.

Last edited by Packrat1; 10-07-2014 at 03:50 AM.. Reason: Edit

Old 10-07-2014, 05:47 AM

23,503 posts, read 29,447,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
We don't have four seasons here. We have summer and January.
The fact that Buzz only mentions January as unpleasant, leads me to believe he has a vacation home in Puerto Vallarta, which he resides from 11/1 thru 4/1! Eat my heart out!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: